Loch Katrine and Glasgow's Water Supply

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Loch Katrine and Glasgow's Water Supply

Postby cell » Sat Jan 18, 2014 11:05 am

Sorry Jock, I've been a bit busy, files now sent, let us know how you get on and post plenty of pictures
cell
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby ibtg » Sat Jan 18, 2014 10:02 pm

Does this help?

glasgow water supply.jpg

*edit* Sorry, I was having trouble getting the map submitted in a reasonable size without it being cropped. :roll:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
www.mycityglasgow.co.uk
ibtg
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby old jock » Sun Jan 19, 2014 9:40 am

Dammed right it does ibtg thanks a lot

I must add a big thankyou to Cell it was most generous of him to give me the KMZ files and some other stuff too. All very useful and will save me a lot of grief.

I'm still to compiling the RCHAMS data into a form that I can print out to take on sections of "walking the line" (make a good toon title that). Its a lot of data but I'm getting there, its purely for my own use but happy to share it too for private use only of course.

John
old jock
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby cell » Tue Jan 21, 2014 3:17 pm

http://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/index.cf ... FFFFFFFFFF

This might be useful, the 1892-1905 six inch to the mile has the route of both aqueducts marked and this can be viewed as an overlay on google earth on the NLS map site. (this wasn’t available when I produced my route maps). You can read the OS grid ref off at the bottom right although there may be a bit of an error in this so don’t treat it as gospel. Use the slider at the top to move between them or view them side by side. As I said before when it comes to shafts, towers, manholes etc take the map descriptions with a pinch of salt and remember there were additions and mods at a later date to both aqueducts.
cell
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby old jock » Wed Jan 22, 2014 9:16 am

Hi Cell

Yes very useful I forgot all about the mapping facilities on the NLS page even though I've used it before.

I realize most of it will just approximate but I'm hoping it will get me close enough to at least give me a chance of seeing some of the vents, aqueducts, byewashes etc:

Many Thanks for going to the trouble

John
old jock
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby old jock » Thu Jan 23, 2014 1:59 pm

I don't know if anybody uses RCHAMS to map to Google Earth and/or possibly to GPS.

I came across this page which if you download the add in & the example allows you to convert a table of data with OSGB ref points. These are listed in the RCHAMS data points and with the addin you can convert directly to a KML it can also include the site title if you have that in a table form with the grid reference.

http://www.haroldstreet.org.uk/osgb/excel-conversion-code/

Nice little piece of software that can save a lot of time

John
old jock
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Thumper99 » Sun Jan 26, 2014 9:34 pm

Hi Cell

Great map, really useful cheers. Intended to head up to Katrine today but weather was awfull. ::):
Thumper99
Just settling in
Just settling in

Previous

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects