cross clyde passenger ferries

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

cross clyde passenger ferries

Postby jaggyjohn » Tue Nov 18, 2003 3:06 am

CAN ANY ONE HELP ME URGENTLY
IS THER SOMEWHERE I CAN FIND OUT THE DATES ON WHICH THE SMALL PASSENGER FERRIES STOPPED THEIR CLYDE CROSSINGS
I HAVE TRIED EVERY LINK I CAN THINK OF WITHOUT SUCCESS
PLEASE HELP
jaggyjohn
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby Sharon » Tue Nov 18, 2003 8:07 am

It might be worth posting on http://www.clydeshipping.co.uk

They might be able to help!
Beware of yawning dogs.
Sharon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby retired tiger » Tue Aug 02, 2005 4:46 pm

Mid 60's I would think, I was still using the Whiteinch one to go to Fairfields in 1963 when the tunnel was nearly finished. I managed to sneek through the tunnel during winter that year because the ferry had to go off due to ice in the river! Can you imagine, icebergs at Whiteinch. I thought I'd chance it because when the ferries had been put off due to fog I'd gone up to the old tunnel which was still open to pedestrians but meant a long detour.
retired tiger
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby retired tiger » Tue Aug 02, 2005 5:03 pm

http://www.clydesite.co.uk/articles/river_ferries.asp

Well I never, there was one running in 1978, good question for pub quiz! :D
retired tiger
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby dcvr » Tue Aug 02, 2005 6:05 pm

Sorry if this is a silly question, but doesn't the Yoker/Renfrew ferry still operate? I've seen signs for it in passing through Yoker, and thought it was a bit anachronistic, but the SPT website still has info for it! http://www.spt.co.uk/Travel/ferries.html
dcvr
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Yoker Ferry

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Tue Aug 02, 2005 6:10 pm

Whilst the BBC confirms the Kelvinhaugh Frry ran until 1982 it also thinks it was the last ferry on the Clyde but the Renfrew Rose is still sailing between Yoker and Renfrew along with the Yoker Swan.

Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Vinny the Mackem » Tue Aug 02, 2005 7:48 pm

I remember being on the Kelvinhaugh ferry as a youngster. That must have been anywhere between about 1979-1981, but definately not before 79.
Vinny the Mackem
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Apollo » Wed Aug 03, 2005 2:44 am

From August 2002:

A company which planned to provide tours down the river Clyde using converted Second World War landing craft has gone out of business. Glasgow Duck Tours had hoped to provide combined land and water tours using DUKW high-speed amphibious craft but poor summer weather and unreliability has resulted in the company going into voluntary liquidation. They were also hampered by having only one slipway at Braehead to gain access to the river.
Apollo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Sharon » Wed Aug 03, 2005 8:45 am

Oh yeah, I remember the Duck Tours folks advertising on George Square. Think they had a bus sitting there. I don't recall actually knowing what it was they were offering at the time though...
Sharon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Apollo » Wed Aug 03, 2005 9:23 am

Back at the time, they were driving around quite a bit, seeking publicity, and got on TV too.

See them here, in front of the IMAX building.

I think it's a shame when innovative and slightly, but not very, unusual ideas like this can't generate enough interest to survive.

Perhaps it also says something (sad) about the attitude of most of Glasgow's population.
Apollo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby glasgowgub » Wed Aug 03, 2005 7:18 pm

Sharon wrote:Oh yeah, I remember the Duck Tours folks advertising on George Square. Think they had a bus sitting there. I don't recall actually knowing what it was they were offering at the time though...

... Down in London last week, I noticed the duck tours bus/boat driving down Whitehall on its way to the Thames....
glasgowgub
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby The Voyageur » Wed Aug 03, 2005 7:26 pm

The Mitchell Library has a nice bunch of photies for your viewing pleasure:

http://www.mitchelllibrary.org/cgi-bin/ ... rd=Ferries
The Voyageur
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Flyingscot » Fri Aug 05, 2005 8:39 pm

The Renfrew Ferry does indeed still operate, infact a stop at Braehead is also mooted for it.

There is also a service which crosses the Clyde from Helensburgh to Gourock on behalf of SPT.

Not to mention the ferry from Braehead to Glasgow. Nice to see some shipping in the Clyde!
Flyingscot
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Apollo » Fri Aug 05, 2005 10:05 pm

Flyingscot wrote:There is also a service which crosses the Clyde from Helensburgh to Gourock on behalf of SPT.

Operated by Clyde Marine Motoring Ltd, although it is a passenger (and bike) service only, operational from March until October.

Route is Gourock - Kilcreggan - Helensburgh, and it's £1.90 single.

I didn't realise it was still running until it arrived at the Kilcreggan pier while I was taking pictures. Looks like a bit of an adventure run if the water's a bit choppy.
Apollo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Flyingscot » Sat Aug 06, 2005 11:11 am

Apollo wrote:
Flyingscot wrote:There is also a service which crosses the Clyde from Helensburgh to Gourock on behalf of SPT.

Operated by Clyde Marine Motoring Ltd, although it is a passenger (and bike) service only, operational from March until October.

Route is Gourock - Kilcreggan - Helensburgh, and it's £1.90 single.

I didn't realise it was still running until it arrived at the Kilcreggan pier while I was taking pictures. Looks like a bit of an adventure run if the water's a bit choppy.

I've done it on a nice day a good number of years ago. The boat has a bar on it :)

Also believe it's year round apart from Sundays which are summer only.
Flyingscot
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Next

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects