Eight Points of Glasgow

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Eight Points of Glasgow

Postby Shardonnay » Sun Aug 30, 2009 8:18 am

Glesga_Steve wrote:
Fossil wrote:try the barras in the afternoon weekdays and weekends. you cant miss it

That reminds me of something that happened to me about 12 or 13 years ago. Not at the Barras, but not too far away.

I had been doing some work at Dalmarnock WwTW in the morning one summers day and set off to drive back to the office (then in the city centre) shortly after lunch. I was sitting at the junction of French Street and Main Street, waiting to pull out to head up around Glasgow Green when out of the corner of my eye I noticed someone approaching my passenger side window. I turned around just in time to see the door being pulled open by a rather attractive young woman (of about similar age to myself at that time) wearing a tight top, tartan mini-skirt and knee-high boots. The ensuing conversation went something along the lines of...

Her: Can you help me?
Me: Er, sure, maybe - what do you want?
Her: I need a lift (as she slides into the seat)
Me: Erm, ok - where to?
Her: Wherever you want.
Me: Sorry?? :? (I was a naive 20/21 year old :oops:)
Her: Wherever you want to go love.
Me: (As it begins to dawn on me what is going on) I'm really busy - I don't think I can help you.
Her: I'm sure you can spare some time for me.
Me: No, no - I really can't - I need to get back to the office (meanwhile panicking and looking around for cop cars)
Her: It wouldn't take long (I'm not sure who told her that but it's not true!)
Me: PLEASEEE get out
Her: Ok, your loss

I never could find her in the following years when I would have had the courage ::):

::): ::):
Shardonnay
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Icecube » Fri Sep 11, 2009 9:01 pm

Lead by example they say .......... :D

The most eastern part of modern day Glasgow is ......... this point on the Helensburgh to Airdrie railway line as it crosses the Monkland Canal in the vicinty of Drumpellier country park [NS 704 650].

Apologies for the dark picture but I took it years ago on a cold and dark January day. The fence of the railway can be seen above the culvert [which used to be a bridge] of the canal. I was going to nip over the other week and take another but the rain and a tinker camp next to it sort of put me off.
However yesterday was a scorcher (although the ground was still saturated) and I managed to get some time out.
The canal and railway point only narrowly beats this place [NS 701 631] - in the middle of these two viaduct piers - below which flows the North Calder Water - which is the city boundary from thence to the Clyde at Daldowie.

This part of the boundary runs from the general direction of the Baillieston Interchange and follows the line of the old Tannochside railway branch towards the river and viaduct. Interesting that there is still telegraph [telephone nowadays we can presume!] poles running alongside the old railway.

To view both points in perspective here is an amended image of the previous map.

Noo where am ah going next? ::):
Icecube
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Knightmare » Fri Sep 11, 2009 9:34 pm

Icecube wrote:Lead by example they say .......... :D

I was going to nip over the other week and take another but the rain and a tinker camp next to it sort of put me off.::):

By the looks of this place, i don't think you'd have returned from a visit.
Knightmare
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Icecube » Fri Sep 11, 2009 9:48 pm

Aye its a gloomy picture of the canal [2 MP camera then] but despite the algae and so the sinsiter appearance, this canal is only 4ft. deep, thats according to James Watt who designed it anyway.
Icecube
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Knightmare » Sat Sep 12, 2009 5:59 am

Icecube wrote:Aye its a gloomy picture of the canal [2 MP camera then] but despite the algae and so the sinsiter appearance, this canal is only 4ft. deep, thats according to James Watt who designed it anyway.

I'll take Mr Watt's word for it!

I noticed that one of you're "points" is near Balmore. If you eventually get to it, It would be good to see a photo of the Fresh Water Treatment works added to the Loch Katrine thread. It would be relevant as all our water goes there first before being pumped to the city and Lanarkshire, so it is part of the whole process.
Knightmare
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Glesga_Steve » Sat Sep 12, 2009 12:46 pm

Knightmare wrote:I noticed that one of you're "points" is near Balmore. If you eventually get to it, It would be good to see a photo of the Fresh Water Treatment works added to the Loch Katrine thread. It would be relevant as all our water goes there first before being pumped to the city and Lanarkshire, so it is part of the whole process.

As with pretty much all water treatment works, there isn't much to see from outwith the perimeter other than various nondescript buildings (though the main one at Balmore is modern) and the concrete roofs of buried storage tanks. All of the treatment apparatus is located within these buildings/structures so you'd be as well looking at it on the aerial or birds eye views on one of the various mapping websites - in fact, you'd probably see more.

As far as I'm aware, the only part of Glasgow that Balmore WwTW supplies is (part of) the Baillieston area (though I could be wrong - I'll check and update). The greatest part of its supply zone falls (I think) within North Lanarkshire.
Glesga_Steve
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Knightmare » Sat Sep 12, 2009 8:10 pm

Glesga_Steve wrote:
Knightmare wrote:I noticed that one of you're "points" is near Balmore. If you eventually get to it, It would be good to see a photo of the Fresh Water Treatment works added to the Loch Katrine thread. It would be relevant as all our water goes there first before being pumped to the city and Lanarkshire, so it is part of the whole process.

As with pretty much all water treatment works, there isn't much to see from outwith the perimeter other than various nondescript buildings (though the main one at Balmore is modern) and the concrete roofs of buried storage tanks. All of the treatment apparatus is located within these buildings/structures so you'd be as well looking at it on the aerial or birds eye views on one of the various mapping websites - in fact, you'd probably see more.

As far as I'm aware, the only part of Glasgow that Balmore WwTW supplies is (part of) the Baillieston area (though I could be wrong - I'll check and update). The greatest part of its supply zone falls (I think) within North Lanarkshire.

Okay no problem. It was just a thought since Balmore was one of the eight points it might be worth a quick photie.

Don't bother with the photos of the buildings...just stick to swamps and empty fields. :roll:

Buildings are oot! Who wants to look at the outside of buidlings anyway. Unless you can see the inside there's no point whatsoever in looking at the outside.....shame really cause this sites full pictures of buildings from the outside. How wrong can so many people be?

No more photos of buidlings allowed.....Okay i'm away to subscribe to Google Earth! ::):

keep the heed noo!!! :D
Knightmare
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Icecube » Sat Sep 12, 2009 9:34 pm

The northern boundary is actually west of Balmore with probably the most northerly part of Glasgow just east of Canderside Toll on a northerly meander of Allander Water - not far from Balmore road.[NS 577 730]. It looks like this place narrowly beats another boundary salient a bit to the west of the Toll [NS 565 730] N.E. of Boclair Farm.

The map illustrates what I'm trying to impart.

Its hard to park up in this area, the roads are always heavy with traffic, a photo might take a wee while.
Icecube
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Glesga_Steve » Sun Sep 13, 2009 12:14 am

Knightmare wrote:keep the heed noo!!!

:x :x :x (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6… and breathe)

I’ll try :roll:

What is it they say about sarcasm and wit? :wink:

I wasn't trying to criticise or belittle your suggestion of taking a photo of the WTW (and, unlike you, I certainly wasn’t trying to be condescending); I was just pointing out that what you can see from the perimeter fence doesn't really form a particularly interesting subject for a photo, nevertheless if anyone was keen to see what the site looks like they could get a much better idea by looking online, et voila…

Bigger version here

Bigger version here

Although it wasn't your intention, I reckon in this case you pretty much hit the nail on the head when you said...

Unless you can see the inside there's no point whatsoever in looking at the outside

Maybe I'm wrong though; it could be that most people would find the buildings interesting to look at. Perhaps I’m alone in not sharing this fascination due to the allure having been dulled by my visits to quite a few such sites over the years. One thing is for sure though; the inside of a WTW is infinitely more interesting than the outside.

Knightmare wrote: Buildings are oot! Who wants to look at the outside of buidlings anyway... shame really cause this sites full pictures of buildings from the outside. How wrong can so many people be?

To compare the outside of a WTW to the exterior of (most of) the hundreds of buildings featured on this site is ridiculous. Are you seriously suggesting that the former merits even a fraction of the attention warranted by the attractive and intriguing buildings you can find across Glasgow (and elsewhere)?

Keep things in perspective noo!!! :D
Glesga_Steve
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Glesga_Steve » Sun Sep 13, 2009 12:17 am

Icecube wrote:Its hard to park up in this area, the roads are always heavy with traffic, a photo might take a wee while.

Come on you, I thought you enjoyed walking around fields and such.

Park up in Dobbie's and take the short walk to grab your photo.

PS - The adjacent Tickled Trout does a good fish and chips (the fish is huge!)
Glesga_Steve
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Icecube » Sun Sep 13, 2009 10:58 am

I never shop @ Dobbies Stevie but your right its about the only place in the vicinity to park up.

A pic on Geograph of the boundary along the Allander Water HERE
Icecube
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Previous

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects