Battle Burn

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Battle Burn

Postby Glasgogirl » Tue Dec 01, 2009 6:28 pm

Glesga_Steve wrote:
Glasgogirl wrote:There was a burn running thru barrachnie park, and if you walk there you'll notice from the carpark walking towards the swings or football pitches you have to cross over it. There used to be a bridge between the oval & the football pitches.

I know the little footbridge you mean, though it was over a ditch rather than the burn.

Incidentally, there are no swings there any more - they were done away a LONG time ago.

yeah, I guess it was more of a ditch.... but, if you followed the ditch down past the football pitches then there was a burn that ran perpendicular to the ditch, and it continued a little into the forrested area.

Yeah, I do realise the swings are gone, I was last there in 04, but I'm returning this year for sure. It's sad to think that one day my mum's place will possibly no longer be in the family... It's a rather historic wee house & has a stone in it's front elevation that reads 1784.

Barrachnie park, when I was a kid, was just an large extension of my back garden... as was the farmer's field in front of my mums house, which is still undeveloped. The stables are still there also, although the horses are long since gone. Burntbroom estate, which is directly east of Barrachnie park, when I was little was potato fields. :)
Glasgogirl
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby Glasgogirl » Tue Dec 01, 2009 6:38 pm

As teens, we'd play on a small motorcycle in the park..... flying across the cricket pitch & up the hill fast as possible to see who'd catch the best 'air' at the top of the hill.... totally wrecked a 50cc Yamaha over a couple of weeks.

Anyone remember the hotel at the other end of mt. vernon ave? The Golden Gates? It's apartments now I believe, but the gates are still there.... on the Hamilton Road just round the corner from Mt. Vernon Ave..... god, so many memories of that place...... my father was friends with the manager. I think it was part of the Rio Stakis chain at the time, as my dad knew him rather well also.... anyways, we'd play in that hotel as kids... running wild thru the dining room.... and playing in the gardens.

Ah... the memories!
Glasgogirl
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby Josef » Tue Dec 01, 2009 7:41 pm

Glasgogirl wrote:Anyone remember the hotel at the other end of mt. vernon ave? The Golden Gates?

Yes. Tenuous connection with the Britannia, too.

From a blog on the BBC website :

Fifty years ago Mr. Christie, Colonel Buchanan’s Land Estate Factor, lived in it. When he left, Mr. Roxburgh, the Proprietor of the Britannia Theatre, Glasgow, bought the house and spent a large amount of money in renovating the whole of the estate with the interior and exterior of the whole surroundings, a beautiful new dyke and costly panels and large gates all which were painted gold, hence it was called the Golden gates.

Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Glasgogirl » Tue Dec 01, 2009 8:58 pm

My father painted those gates at least twice while he was pals with the Mgr's there. The gardens were impressive to say the least! I gotta run along to work, but I really could blab on about this area for days on end........ ::):
Glasgogirl
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby doc64 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:08 pm

i know there has been no posts for a while on this subject but i was wondering if anyone remembers the sign post near the "bridge"...the markers have been snapped off it and does anyone remember what they said...will try and upload some photos of it
doc64
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby Glesga_Steve » Sun Apr 01, 2012 7:45 pm

doc64 wrote:i know there has been no posts for a while on this subject but i was wondering if anyone remembers the sign post near the "bridge"...the markers have been snapped off it and does anyone remember what they said...will try and upload some photos of it

Which bridge?
Glesga_Steve
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Icecube » Sun Apr 01, 2012 10:46 pm

doc64 wrote:i know there has been no posts for a while on this subject but i was wondering if ...will try and upload some photos of it

We might comment after you've ....... 'tried to upload some photos'. ::):
Icecube
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby doc64 » Mon Apr 02, 2012 12:51 pm

it was the wee bridge that went over the burn...steve you took a photo from the woods looking out towards the park and the sign post would have been to your left there..
doc64
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby doc64 » Mon Apr 02, 2012 1:17 pm

hope this works icecube ::): http://www.flickr.com/photos/pdoc/
doc64
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby War Baby » Mon May 21, 2012 9:12 pm

Steve,
I am a new member, so I hope I have posted in the right place.

I was born at Barrachnie 1943. Wondered if your grandparents lived halfway down the scheme, maybe near the Stevensons, or were you further up near Templeton, Boland or Imlah? My grandparents were Widdops at no 4, living next to the Stoddarts.

The thing about that burn at the bottom of the park was that it didn't flow there from anywhere. It began there. The park was on a slope and rainwater had nowhere to go. I can remember a few frogs in there in the early fifties, and also, right next to the burn was where the scheme had their bonfire on Nov 5th every year. Whole families would go, and there was a real community spirit to it.

The burn flowed (not always) into the woods and, yes, it disappeared down a hole in the ground. The hole was maybe about 30 yards or so in from the wee bridge, on the left. ...There was a time though when you couldn't go into the woods that way because, someone, maybe Mr Allan of Rylands Riding School at the top of Mansionhouse Road had blocked it by erecting upright railway sleepers right across the entrance way just next to the wee bridge.

The water also flowed down to that point, as you know, alongside the line of trees. This was on a proper slope unlike the burn at the foot of the park, which was hardly a slope at all - but as the years went by folk began to dump more and more rubbish there, under the trees where the burn was, and so the flow of that part of the burn was interupted and the water often just lay in pools, not actually going anywhere.

I never knew who was actually responsible for the woods. Maybe it was Glasgow Council because no-one else seemed to bother with it, and the council have always used the sloping bit beside the start of the old hundred yards racing track (do you know it?) as a dump.

I remember the running track when it was a field - and then the bulldozers coming and preparing the ground - and eventually there was cricket played right in the middle - and do you remember the tiny iron hut the cricket score-keeper sat in during cricket games? Later, there was a larger place.

My best pals in the early fifties were John, Billy, and George. And in the wee lodge, Douglas Graham.

WAR BABY
War Baby
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby War Baby » Tue May 22, 2012 12:35 pm

Glasgogirl,
You mentioned you lived in the Lodge. If it is the Lodge next to Barrachnie Park you mean, then I have been in that house many times. It used to have an outside toilet - hhmmm........ Or should I say, "Hummmmm.....!"
There was also a water barrel at the back door.

This was back in the early nineteen fifties. My mother was friends with the woman who lived there, and her boy was at the same school as me: Baillieston Junior Sec. ...You know the track that used to run from your house towards Rylands Riding School - well, the horses with their smartly dressed-up riders used to come along that way, and come down Mount Vernon Avenue, and I would be sent out with a pail and shovel to get some manure for the garden.

There would sometimes be nearly a dozen horses, and they would often cross the road and go away up Barrachnie Road somewhere. Another thing, my two pals and I used to cross the running track, and at the far side was a steep rise up to the woods where we climbed the fence to get into the woods to go a short-cut over to the "Sandy Hole".

Mr Allan wasn't to pleased if he saw us, but sometimes we would see him first and we would be hiding behind a tree right next to the track and he was pass by only a few yards away without even knowing we were there.

Some trees blew down in January there, so I think this gave the owners of the lodge a wake-up-call, and a few months ago three or four tall trees that overhung the Lodge were cut down, obviously to protect their house.
War Baby
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Glesga_Steve » Tue May 22, 2012 8:40 pm

Hi War Baby,

I've sent you a PM re who my grandparents are.

You're a wee bit older (only by 33 years mind) than me so you'll have different memories of the area than me. For example, I wasn't aware of there ever being an iron hut over at the cricket pitch - I think I can recall there being a small building on the raised bit of ground that overlooked the cricket pitch, similar in construction to the changing rooms for the football pitches but a little bit smaller IIRC.

Regards,

Steven
Glesga_Steve
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby War Baby » Wed May 23, 2012 7:00 am

Glesga Steve,
My Uncle Frank, who was born here at no 4, in 1928, used to play with Dick in my back garden when he was a boy. Dick told me this himself. ...By the way, I am not at Juniper Place in the wee lane.

I went to school at Buchanan St in Baillieston, and to church at St John's. I knew Nessie & Mary, and Archie. Archie used to dress up as Santa Claus at Christmas time and give out presents at the Church Hall at the Christmas party for the church congregation. I remember him giving me "Scott Goes South" - a very expensive-looking book all about Scott of the Antartic. This would be around 1954.

I also used to be taken to the plays at the church Hall, and myself and my sister acted in a play called "THE OLD WOMAN WHO LIVED IN A SHOE". We were only about four years old at the time, and a row of kids, us included, had to sit there pretending to eat porridge with a spoon from a bowl. But there was nothing in the bowl, and we were so young that we kept wondering: "Why are we eating NOTHING with a spoon from an EMPTY bowl?"
Ha-ha-ha!

My father edited the church magazine up until he died in 1993.

As I said before, I don't want to reveal my name publicly. I got your first message but I think you sent a second one, and this morning I got your link saying you'd sent a private message :? but when I try to log onto it, I get told I have used the wrong password, which I haven't.
War Baby
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby ibtg » Sat May 04, 2013 11:44 am

I'm bumping this subject as I am looking for photos of the Golden Gates Hotel / Stakis Mount Vernon Hotel or and / or the building which became the Hotel. Was it a new-build or was it the old house that once stood there converted into an Hotel?

Any pics of the house or surroundings would be appreciated.
www.mycityglasgow.co.uk
ibtg
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Icecube » Sat May 04, 2013 5:09 pm

The house was converted into a hotel. Recall going for a bevvy on Sunday nights.
Icecube
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects