Up on the roof

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Up on the roof

Postby Seamey » Tue Jun 29, 2004 8:30 am

Are there any rooftop houses in Glasgow apart from the trendy modern penthouses. The only ones I can think of are both in Strathclyde Uni - what used to be the Principal's flat on the top floor of the Livingstone Tower and was very modernised a few years ago and Head Porter's house above Strathclyde Union - now used as a store room, but it is still intact.

Seamey
Seamey
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re: Up on the roof

Postby red_kola » Tue Jun 29, 2004 10:30 am

Seamey wrote:Are there any rooftop houses in Glasgow apart from the trendy modern penthouses.

There are two disgusting flats on the roof of the QMU. Quite what you have to do to the university's accomodation office to get housed there I really don't know. They always seemed to be occupied by Iranian families in my day.

Imagine having to listen to DJ Toast's 4 hour set every weekend for a whole year, Truely Groundhog day.
Destroy All Monsters
red_kola
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Seamey » Tue Jun 29, 2004 1:22 pm

I seem to remember that there were plans for some flats on top of the UGC cinema - I take it nothing came of it.

Seamey
Seamey
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Jazza » Tue Jun 29, 2004 2:07 pm

I've been in the flat at the top of the QMU, was after a night out, when a guy i know on the 'board' had a few people back for a schmoke and a nightcap. :D

Dont remember much about it thats for sure.

WARNING: NEVER SLAG OFF THE 'TOASTMEISTER' ON THESE FORUMS.
Eighty percent of success is showing up.
Jazza
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby red_kola » Tue Jun 29, 2004 3:06 pm

BigCraig wrote:WARNING: NEVER SLAG OFF THE 'TOASTMEISTER' ON THESE FORUMS.

Sure that it wasn't just the "Board Flat" which is a room on the Third Floor. There are two actual flats (living room, Kitchen, bathroom, two beds) literally on the roof of the building. In my day, nobody at the QM (not even Michael the porter :P ) had access to them.

Toast. Great guy. His set was revolutionary in 1993. Shame it never evolved.
Destroy All Monsters
red_kola
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Ronnie » Tue Jun 29, 2004 6:15 pm

The penthouse at the top of the Livvy Tower at Strathclyde Uni is now the Tom Hunter Centre for Cheap Jeans, err, Entrepreneurship.
upupdowndownleftrightleftrightbastart
Ronnie
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby cumbo » Wed Jun 30, 2004 7:05 am

Up above the Tunnel Club,Nearly said disco there!,there is a small appartment that the lift opperator for that building has also one in Bothwell street above the bella pasta, same thing Will start looking out for more 'Hidden ones'
cumbo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby starskydad » Sat Jul 10, 2004 8:40 pm

there are lots of penthouse flats in the city most of the big firms in glasgow have a flat at the top there buildings where someone stays pemanent this is due to insurance reasons --- its like having a janny but they get to stay in a cool flat
starskydad
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby dcvr » Sat Jul 17, 2004 1:57 pm

As an example of what Staskydad said, there's a flat on top of the Aon building at the corner of St Vincent Street and Wellington Street where the building's Janitor lives. The building is owned by British Rail (or British Coal.. can't remember!)

The building's backup generator is also on the roof, and it doesn't half make a racket when it's fired up.
dcvr
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby Apollo » Sat Jul 17, 2004 4:28 pm

The recently revamped building on the Howard St. side of Annie Millers (Dodgy pub thread) is now owned by and HQ to a copier/imaging co. When the MD used to speak to me, he let slip they were deliberatley building the penthouse (valued £400k-£500k) as an investment to part fund the rebuild of the interior within the retained shell.
Apollo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Seamey » Tue Jul 20, 2004 9:18 am

Thanks to EmmaR you can see the the flat above Strathclyde Student Union - It's one the side nearest George St and has a green roof.

Seamey
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby YokerBloke » Tue Jul 20, 2004 7:40 pm

/me wipes tear at seeing trees in George Sq.
http://www.tracertong.co.uk
YokerBloke
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Apollo » Tue Jul 20, 2004 10:37 pm

And the hotel beside the station without that dumb glass canopy thing.

I don't think I could sit in there and enjoy a coffee. Always me me think of looking in cages in the zoo, bit like a chimp's tea party.

Remember the bar on the corner, used to be done up on a racing (F1) them, then changed to Wenches, staffed by eh... wenches ::):
Apollo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby YokerBloke » Wed Jul 21, 2004 5:37 am

Apollo wrote:Remember the bar on the corner, used to be done up on a racing (F1) them, then changed to Wenches, staffed by eh... wenches ::):
The happiest wenches ever!!!! ::):
http://www.tracertong.co.uk
YokerBloke
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby martin » Sat Jul 24, 2004 11:00 am

red_kola wrote:Sure that it wasn't just the "Board Flat" which is a room on the Third Floor. There are two actual flats (living room, Kitchen, bathroom, two beds) literally on the roof of the building. In my day, nobody at the QM (not even Michael the porter :P ) had access to them.

It's now just the 'board lounge' - a room with a sofa and a telly, although they'll be doing a little bit of building work at some point this summer, which will, amongst other things, extend the shop, move the staffroom upstairs, and remove the snooker room. (Because why would you want to play snooker there, when there's the GUU's snooker hall)

red_kola's right - there are two flats on top of the building, accessable by the fire escape round the back of the building. I think the QM 'own' them (in as much as they 'own' the building - it's actually Uni property), but then lease the flats back to the accommodation service.

As for flats in town - Fleming House, corner of Cambridge Street/Renfrew Street is gradually being transformed into posh houses with nice views.
martin
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Next

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects