Dalmarnock Bridge (Removed)

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Dalmarnock Bridge (Removed)

Postby Buzby » Mon Jul 06, 2009 2:36 pm

I had thought about posting a picture, but what's the point when the subject is no longer there! It was actually called 'Baltic Street Bridge No 5' and has been removed as part of the East End Renewal project.

The substantial metal railway bridge that crossed the A749 (Dalmarnock Road) at the junction with Swantston Street, a visible and memorable landmark since the 1890s is no longer there. :( It was removed in late April 2009 and all that exists is the embankments on either side which still sport their usual wild greenery.

The line was used by the Caledonian Railway and called 'The Switchback' - and ran from Rutherglen, north to Dalmarnock (High Level) and also passed close to London Road at Celtic Park (west side) in its way to Parkhead Forge and linked up with the old Hamiltonhill Goods line via Robroyston and Springburn Park. With much of the route irretrievably broken, the chances of any re-instatement was a non-starter - hence the eventual demise and removal of this bridge, which I believe to be the last remaining overbrige on the route.

Pictures are available here:
http://www.railbrit.co.uk/location.php? ... %20Railway)
- Raymond
Buzby
First Stripe
First Stripe

Re: Dalmarnock Bridge (Removed)

Postby ccoolc353 » Mon Dec 28, 2009 10:51 pm

Colin Harkins
ccoolc353
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby gap74 » Thu Dec 31, 2009 3:55 am

Round the corner from here, the rather fabulous painted Gym sign which incorporated the doorway to said establishment has now also gone, with the demolition of both the gym and the adjacent tenement - although the bridge and the gym are at least immortalised for the time being on Google Street View!

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&sourc ... 40.87,,0,5
gap74
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby maggs71 » Mon Feb 13, 2017 2:05 am

I am really interested to see the documentary on glue sniffing in dalmarnock in 1982_83 the DVD someone had and if anyway I can see it please thank u
maggs71
Just settling in
Just settling in

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects