Project Updates: St Peter's Seminary

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

St Peters

Postby Pgcc93 » Fri Oct 07, 2005 4:34 pm

Since winning lastnights 'Scotlands Favourite Modern Building' by Prospect Magazine

BBC Reporting Scotland will be showing an article during it's 18.30- 19.00 program tonight.

And for those without a TV licence!

Some good archive footage of the interior.

At the Alter!

Check the detail on the scale model in the background! I wanna see that.

Pgcc93
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Pgcc93 » Fri Oct 07, 2005 4:38 pm

and a few more for the licence dodgers :D

Check the priests hanging out!

And a few words from Father John Fitzsimmons.

Pgcc93
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Apollo » Fri Oct 07, 2005 9:06 pm

I kind of like it that it won, even though it wasn't perfect (heating seems to have been the main problem).

The only downside of this observation is that it means 'that' Scottish Pariament building isn't automatically kicked into touch :(
Apollo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Sandpiper » Fri Oct 07, 2005 10:50 pm

I take it that 'retired priest' means that you still have to wear 'the collar'?

Does this mean that 'a shag' is also oot the question?
Sandpiper
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby DickyHart » Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:19 am

i enjoyed the article on the telly, but got pissed off at ones who left the place to rot are gonna make money out of it.
DickyHart
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Apollo » Sat Oct 08, 2005 9:36 am

Unfair!

They could have decided to cut their losses on day one, demolished it and devloped an alternative on the land if that had been their whim, or just sold the land, St. Peters would have been wiped out and we wouldn't be having this discussion or award/recognition.

It will have been a net loss to them over the years, as property it won't have been appreciating, and they've been paying for security to try and reduce the vandals efforts over the years.

If they're lucky, the current plan may generate enough money to restore and preserve the fabric of the structure, and provide a nearby development, which should brign some popultion on to th eland, and reduce the potential for a repeat of the past vandalism to the structure.

(It was only a house, but I was in the same position a few years ago. Due to it's location I couldn't do anythign with it, it was sold for coppers as it cost too much to keep secure/council tax. Years later, somone else is now picking up the profit now as population moves around Glasgow)
Apollo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby My Kitten » Sat Oct 08, 2005 10:40 am

Apollo wrote:Unfair!

They could have decided to cut their losses on day one, demolished it and devloped an alternative on the land if that had been their whim, or just sold the land, St. Peters would have been wiped out and we wouldn't be having this discussion or award/recognition.

given that it took them about a million years to decide to build the thing Id be surprised at any sort of "whim" on the part of the catholic church. St Peters is still here because of where it is and thankfully for red tape.

Apollo wrote:It will have been a net loss to them over the years, as property it won't have been appreciating, and they've been paying for security to try and reduce the vandals efforts over the years.

Security???? Reducing Vandalism??? Have you been there?

Apollo wrote:If they're lucky, the current plan may generate enough money to restore and preserve the fabric of the structure, and provide a nearby development, which should brign some popultion on to th eland, and reduce the potential for a repeat of the past vandalism to the structure.

The current plan does nothing to restore and preserve the fabric of the structure. Cardross could really do without some added population, the infrastructure in place isnt suitable for even the smallish scale development that is proposed.
My Kitten
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Fossil » Sat Oct 08, 2005 10:58 am

Its well worth the visit

Fossil
Bum tit tit bum tit tit play yer hairy banjo
Fossil
-
-

Postby Vladimir » Sat Oct 08, 2005 11:03 am

The news thing showing past and present was really strange (just thought Id share that) :roll:
Vladimir
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Pgcc93 » Sat Oct 08, 2005 11:06 am

Vladimir wrote:The news thing showing past and present was really strange (just thought Id share that) :roll:

Aye! All that wood panelling made it seem smaller.
Pgcc93
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Vladimir » Sat Oct 08, 2005 11:08 am

But it seemed to be a very bright place, despite the cold draughts around it. The wood added to the overall look in a good way. It would be nice to restore it for the community, but as what :?
Vladimir
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Ally Doll » Sat Oct 08, 2005 12:16 pm

It would be nice to restore it for the community, but as what

A youth hostel or the like? It has bedroom areas, plus an eating area. The rest of the public spaces could be used a community centre or something? A public facility for the locals. I've only seen the pictures, so I don't know how feasible this would be, just a thought.
Ally Doll
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby My Kitten » Sat Oct 08, 2005 1:02 pm

Ally Doll wrote:
It would be nice to restore it for the community, but as what

A youth hostel or the like? It has bedroom areas, plus an eating area. The rest of the public spaces could be used a community centre or something? A public facility for the locals. I've only seen the pictures, so I don't know how feasible this would be, just a thought.

It used to be used as a drug rehab centre, which I think is still a good idea as its a bit remote for any good community use. It's a hard question that.
My Kitten
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Apollo » Sat Oct 08, 2005 1:51 pm

Had St. Peters not been located where it was, I suspect it would have been demolished and the site re-used. The location probably spared it from that fate, but... left it to the vandals over the years.
Security???? Reducing Vandalism??? Have you been there?

Naive? I did say try. Bar installing a 24/7 security patrol, there's little could be done at anything approching a reasonable cost other than fence the area off. To steal someone else's line, the vandals only have to get lucky occasionally over the years to do their stuff.

Having seen the documentaries on the construction of the building, I was using the terms restore and preserve in 'National Trust' terms, which is probably more like controlled decay, without the help of vandals. If you're familiar with sites like Spadeadam, then that's more like what I had on mind.

In modern or re-use terms, I think the remaining structure is a non-starter, and plans based on that thinking will be unlikely to get anywhere. Better to be realistic and aim for retention of what has survived so far. This view may not be popular, but it would be better than spending another 30 years aiming for better while nothing was done.

Incidentally, Google maps have hi-res pics of the area, if I'm not mistaken it can be seen clearly NNW of the golf course.
Apollo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

ST PETERS

Postby Socceroo » Sat Oct 08, 2005 3:02 pm

I have had a good look at the building, i do not think it could be vandalised much more, short of using demolition equipment.

With regards to future use it would probably be very difficult, if indeed possible, to insulate the building properly for overnight residential use without radically altering its existing facade, which is the main reason the building is fairly unique.

Perhaps an arts village or something with the building as a gallery / artists workshops with chalets / accommodation for artists in the grounds would be an option.

It all costs cash of course. The building's internal structure / frame appears fine and the external structure / facade not too bad.

But it will not be too long before the external facade deteriorates due to water ingress rusting the reinforcement bars in the concrete causing the facade to start spalling.

There would already appear to evidence of this.
Last edited by Socceroo on Sat Oct 08, 2005 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Socceroo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects