Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Postby ronan » Tue May 02, 2006 1:31 pm

http://www.theherald.co.uk/features/61132.html

link to article in today's Herald
ronan
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby gap74 » Fri Aug 25, 2006 10:55 am

Nodrog and I visited on Sunday there, and I have to say, I'm also getting to be of the opinion that any restoration would more or less be a total rebuild. The deterioration has gone beyond just the wooden fittings now, the vandalism has become rampant and the growth of trees and other vegetation has also gained rapidly!

A few examples:

Almost all of the render in the rendered parts of the building is knackered. The stuff on the wall to the left of where I was standing here was buckled and splayed and could quite easily kill someone if they're standing under it when it comes off!

The teaching block seems to have suffered a lot of recent collapse, making the lower and upper floors pretty much inaccessible.

This collapse of the ceiling timber under the eave at the far end of the teaching block looked to be very recent.

On the top floor of the main block, almost all of the wooden floor looks to have been stripped out rather than destroyed. Although this isn't so recent, does anyone know what happened to it? Was it official, or just some scumbag with a van?

Half the roof above the main altar has now simply gone.

The kitchens are even more trashed than before, but the biggest shock has been the partial collapse of the two wee pointy-roofed buildings in the convent - you can see here that the right hand one has lost a good chunk of the pointy gable nearest the camera.

The altar continues to be chipped away at, and painted on too. You can possibly just make out a pair of bellows on it here too, Christ knows what they were being used for...

All in all, an exceptionally sorry sight. If nothing is done in the next couple of years, I rather fear the place has had it, if it hasn't already.

Gary
gap74
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby DickyHart » Tue Jan 16, 2007 5:05 pm

Im surprised the bellows are still there, they where there last time i was nosying up there and that was july 06.

Maybe they will finally make a decision of whats gonna happen here, but ive seen it all before. To many organisations want to do to many different things to it.
Is this gonna be a standup fight, sir, or another bughunt?
DickyHart
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby gordon » Tue Jan 16, 2007 5:57 pm

Tidy it up, make it safe, and leave it. Trying to do anything else to it wouldn't be appropriate.

I'd seen proposals before to turn it into a hotel, or make it the centrepiece of some housing development, both of which would be tantamount to demolishing it anyway.
Malcolm Tucker is always right.
gordon
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Luco » Fri Jan 19, 2007 5:09 pm

what ime of the day did you visit? was there much activity from the local ned division?
Luco
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby My Kitten » Mon Apr 16, 2007 9:26 pm

Update from Sunday 15th April 2007

My Kitten
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby My Kitten » Mon Apr 23, 2007 10:29 am

Space and Light video from when the seminary was in one piece!

http://uk.video.yahoo.com/video/play?vid=408355
My Kitten
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Saint Peter » Wed May 02, 2007 1:05 pm

and compare it with this....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4jm6ottcPM

Taken last Sunday (22nd April)

There is a fantastic book about Gillespie Kidd & Coia and St. Peters available from the RCAHMS, an interesting read.

http://www.rcahms.gov.uk/publications.html
Saint Peter
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby My Kitten » Wed May 02, 2007 8:53 pm

Saint Peter wrote:and compare it with this....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4jm6ottcPM

Taken last Sunday (22nd April)

There is a fantastic book about Gillespie Kidd & Coia and St. Peters available from the RCAHMS, an interesting read.

http://www.rcahms.gov.uk/publications.html

The book is a goodun, got it for my crimbo a few years back.
My Kitten
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby nodrog » Thu Jun 07, 2007 11:03 am

St Peters is now one of the 100 Most Endangered Sites, according to the new World Monument Watch list, putting it up there with the Buddhist remains at Bamyian in Afghanistan!

Modern buildings continue to be misunderstood, unappreciated, and therefore at high risk of demolition around the world. Nine sites, including group listings as well as individual sites, were placed on the 2008 Watch list. Among them are:

St. Peter’s College, Cardross, Scotland, already a “Modern ruin,” was once revered as a masterpiece of post-War architecture, but was made quickly obsolete in its intended use as a school for Catholic priests after the Second Vatican Council decided that priests should be educated within communities instead of in isolated seminaries such as Cardross.

Interactive map at:
http://www.worldmonumentswatch.org/
Full list at:
http://wmf.org/pdf/Watch_2008_list.pdf

Scotland gets 2 of the 4 UK sites; the other being Mavisbank House in Midlothian. The other two are Wiltons Music Hall in London, and Richhill House, Northern Ireland.

Nodrog
"I'd just move on to the 'hot-air ballooning vigilante' stage of my career earlier than planned"

www.scottishcinemas.org.uk
www.twitter.com/scottishcinemas
nodrog
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby McShad » Thu Jun 07, 2007 5:47 pm

McShad
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Graham » Thu Jun 07, 2007 10:16 pm

I don't "get" the attraction to Gillespie Kidd & Coia buildings....what am I missing, can someone explain it to me?
I was banned for being homophobic.
Graham
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby DickyHart » Thu Jun 07, 2007 11:05 pm

no matter what ya think of gillespie,coia etc, their stuff is unique
DickyHart
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Graham » Thu Jun 07, 2007 11:13 pm

DickyHart wrote:no matter what ya think of gillespie,coia etc, their stuff is unique

oh I quite agree, but unique doesn't always equate to good. In a similar vein, the new parliament building in Edinburgh , for example, is unique, but I don't "get" that either (unless you look at it from a "lining your pockets" perspective in which case I can fully understand the concept :wink: ) but I am sure their are others who see it as a masterpiece of modern design in the way the GKC designs were viewed in their day.

I wonder,will the parliament building be looked back upon in 40 years time with the same reverence?
I was banned for being homophobic.
Graham
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby DickyHart » Thu Jun 07, 2007 11:20 pm

its unlikely to get into the same state as st peters though, graham
DickyHart
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects