Project Updates: St Peter's Seminary

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: St Peters No.1

Postby BrigitDoon » Wed May 11, 2011 5:43 am

It means I get to use my favourite word in the dictionary:

logodaedalus n someone skilled in the manipulative use of words. [Latinised from Gr. logodaidalos, from logos word, and Daidalos Daedalus; see ety for daedal]
logodaedalic adj, logodaedaly n verbal legerdemain.

daedal or dedal adj formed with art; displaying art or inventive skill; intricate; varied. [From L Daedalus, Gr Daidalos, the mythical artist who cosntructed the Cretan labyrinth and made wings for his son Icarus and himself]

HollowHorn wrote:
"A new form of generative public art that develops work from a long term creative dialogue with the users and radically accepts the value of the building in its current form expanding an ’unfinished’ narrative that will change over time."

Ah, I get it now 8O .............Emdy care to elaborate on what the fuck this statement actualy means?

'Tis a gossamer of logodaedaly, to wit: verbal candy floss, all fluff and nonsense... :P
UXB
BrigitDoon
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby hungryjoe » Wed May 11, 2011 6:25 am

HollowHorn wrote:
"A new form of generative public art that develops work from a long term creative dialogue with the users and radically accepts the value of the building in its current form expanding an ’unfinished’ narrative that will change over time."

Ah, I get it now 8O .............Emdy care to elaborate on what the fuck this statement actualy means?

I smell shite.
Multi dinero, multi ficky fick, multi divorce.
hungryjoe
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby munroman » Sat Jun 18, 2011 5:44 pm

I had went there a few weeks ago, but some of our group were a bit 'spooked' so we ended up only seeing a small part of it, today a friend and I went back and went through the whole site.

Photies here : https://picasaweb.google.com/munroskh/S ... 78TKlOCPcA
munroman
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Vinny the Mackem » Tue Sep 20, 2011 2:08 pm

Vinny the Mackem
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Re: Project Updates: St Peter's Seminary

Postby Saint Peter » Sat Nov 26, 2011 12:53 am

NVA display Sat 26th november, sorry for late notice 12-5pm

http://www.sconews.co.uk/news/14501/fur ... -unveiled/
Saint Peter
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby Lucky Poet » Sat Nov 26, 2011 1:31 am

Better late than never, Saint Peter.

(Which is a sentence I've never imagined I'd type. Ta!)
All the world seems in tune on a Spring afternoon, when we're poisoning pigeons in the park.
Lucky Poet
-
-

Postby Josef » Sat Nov 26, 2011 1:54 am

Lucky Poet wrote:Better late than never, Saint Peter.

(Which is a sentence I've never imagined I'd type. Ta!)

You're raising unreasonable expectations. I'm expecting pearly gates rather than security ones, now. Although, having said that, the fence is rather holey.

I'll get along to this if I have the chance, though I may not manage it.
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby granticle » Tue Jan 03, 2012 12:31 am

Here's some up to date pictures of the place, I took a visit up to it for the first time today

http://www.flickr.com/photos/70932295@N ... 622388211/

I'd never been before, so can only compare with previous pictures I've seen, but the condition is certainly getting worse I reckon. There's virtually no floor above level 2. If you're going, I'd deffo recommend wearing a pair of steelies with steel toe and midsole. A lot of glass and nails etc littering the place.

A lot of the best graffiti is right up the top, but another tip is, if you think it looks too difficult to get to, there's probably an easier route. Lots of access from different stairs etc.

And my 3rd tip. Don't split up from the person you're there with. It can be very eery in some parts walking round on your own!
My Flickr - http://www.flickr.com/photos/granticle/
granticle
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby scaryman2u » Tue Jan 03, 2012 5:06 am

I have to agree with you Granticle the place is definitely getting worse, apart from the natural deterioration the tagging and graffiti stuff is now way OTT.

As nice as your pics are I much preferred St Peters in its natural deteriorated state before all and sundry ran amok on the place and i`m glad that I got to see it then and took pics beforehand.

I would love to see St Peter`s saved, but IMHO that`s not going to happen and It should now be demolished as it will only get worse and someone is gonna get hurt.
scaryman2u
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Josef » Tue Jan 03, 2012 8:53 am

The constantly-changing graffiti is now largely the point of St Peters. Last time I was there, we met an artist who was applying copper foil to one of the walls in the (former, obviously) library to 'try things out'.

I'm (sorry, Scary) strongly against demolishing buildings where they don't present a danger to the innocent passer-by. If you jump into the road you'll probably get hit by a car. If you walk into St Peters, you've gone out of your way to get there and you know what you're getting.
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby granticle » Tue Jan 03, 2012 10:33 am

Josef wrote:The constantly-changing graffiti is now largely the point of St Peters.

That's the reason I was there. I love good graffiti, and knew there was some smug stuff there (the hulk pic), and the friend I was with likes decaying and derelict buildings

Josef wrote:If you walk into St Peters, you've gone out of your way to get there and you know what you're getting.

Exactly. If you're there, you've driven to a country road, walked about half a mile and it's got a huge metal fence all round it for a start, so yes, if you've ventured inside, it's at your own risk, knowing the dangers.

Having said that, I can't really see that the building is at all saveable. There have clearly been a few fires where the beams are all burnt and parts destroyed and the ceiling in one building is half down. But there are other parts which looks like someone has ripped out (stolen?) the floorboards and tiles. This has exposed just how bad some of the physical structure of the building has got. It would cost an absolut fortune to even just clear this out before you started all the work to restore it. If they want to save the building, probably quicker and easier to take photos, look at the original plans and rebuild it!! :idea:

As for the graffiti being OTT... who's it harming out there in a building that's sat disused for 30 years? for some that's the beauty of the place!
My Flickr - http://www.flickr.com/photos/granticle/
granticle
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby Josef » Tue Jan 03, 2012 10:58 am

granticle wrote:If they want to save the building, probably quicker and easier to take photos, look at the original plans and rebuild it!! :idea:

That may well have been Scary's point. Sorry, g, but that's bonkers. The purpose of the building is long gone. No-one would rebuild it, nor should we want them to. Or there would be any reason for doing.

It's a world-famous (really - stay there all day and see who turns up from 'abroad' with the sole reason for coming to Scotland of seeing St Peters) building purely for its deriliction.
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby scaryman2u » Tue Jan 03, 2012 9:51 pm

Josef wrote:
granticle wrote:If they want to save the building, probably quicker and easier to take photos, look at the original plans and rebuild it!! :idea:

That may well have been Scary's point. Sorry, g, but that's bonkers. The purpose of the building is long gone. No-one would rebuild it, nor should we want them to. Or there would be any reason for doing.

It's a world-famous (really - stay there all day and see who turns up from 'abroad' with the sole reason for coming to Scotland of seeing St Peters) building purely for its deriliction.

My point was that it only takes one silly explorer with little experience to fall or be killed and then these conversations stop dead literally. The place is a death trap and an H.S.E. nightmare, the fact that you have travelled, beat a fence system and finally got in holds no weight if you get hurt or killed.... so you parents say aye ok he deserved it he broke in ?... NO someone is gonna get sued and rightly too. For example: If I was in charge of the demolition of St Peters and someone happened to climb over 2 fencelines and fall into an unprotected void then I would be charged with negligence as I hadn`t taken the necessary steps to protect them so that`s the reason for my previous post in that someone is responsible and someone is reckless.
scaryman2u
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby SomeRandomBint » Wed Jan 04, 2012 12:45 am

scaryman2u wrote:
Josef wrote:

My point was that it only takes one silly explorer with little experience to fall or be killed and then these conversations stop dead literally. The place is a death trap and an H.S.E. nightmare, the fact that you have travelled, beat a fence system and finally got in holds no weight if you get hurt or killed.... so you parents say aye ok he deserved it he broke in ?... NO someone is gonna get sued and rightly too. For example: If I was in charge of the demolition of St Peters and someone happened to climb over 2 fencelines and fall into an unprotected void then I would be charged with negligence as I hadn`t taken the necessary steps to protect them so that`s the reason for my previous post in that someone is responsible and someone is reckless.

So what you're saying is that it's a Win/Win situation for Urbexs! You get to go into an awesome ruin and take pictures. And *if* you fall over and hurt yourself, then you can sue the ass off Glasgow Diocese, and hit them where it hurts for not protecting the building properly for YEARS!

FWIW, I agree with you. It would probably be a settle out of court situation - people might take their lives in their hands going to look round the remains, but current HSE legislation would mean that a hole in the fence is a sign of negligence. Especially as it's been there for so long. The very existence of threads like this, with pictures taken over a number of years (which are excellent, btw. I've thoroughly enjoyed reading this whole thread), shows that the owners/contractors, haven't taken even slightly reasonable steps to secure the building.
"-What was all that then? - What? - THAT. - That was Glasgow"
SomeRandomBint
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby scaryman2u » Wed Jan 04, 2012 12:50 am

In one word.....Yes.
scaryman2u
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects