Project Updates: St Peter's Seminary

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Project Updates: St Peter's Seminary

Postby Sharon » Fri Oct 31, 2003 1:45 pm

A new collection of photographs of the concrete wonder of St Peter's has been added. This time including photographs of the walled garden and the teaching block.

Have a look here
Last edited by Sharon on Sat Jan 03, 2004 10:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Beware of yawning dogs.
Sharon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby dee » Fri Nov 21, 2003 3:29 pm

Hi sharon
This is darrell here i was at st peters last sunday with
my girlfreind.I was talking to you about old photos
of the place.I have it on video from 1972 the short film
{space and light}.and was thinking about filming it just now
and then showing it with the orignal at the c.c.a or the small
room at the g.f.t.if we can get permission and if there is a
nuff interest.Do you know any one with a video editingmachine
dee
dee
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby Sharon » Fri Nov 21, 2003 3:54 pm

Hi dee

I do know someone who would be able do do the video editing - we work with him when any filming needs done (in a business sense). Im sure he would be interested in producing something. He's also an excellent camera man and only this morning i had actually been thinking of asking him is he'd fancy shooting St Peter's - although i hadn't got as far as thinking of showing the results to anyone! There could be a small supporting exhibition associated with it also... i know that i have a growing collection of images and material! But i do think there would be alot of interest in this.

Sharon
Beware of yawning dogs.
Sharon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Was there yesterday.

Postby gordonjcp » Mon Nov 24, 2003 10:38 am

I was up there with my girlfriend yesterday. There were some people just leaving as we went past. By the time I'd found somewhere to turn they'd gone - was it someone on here? White car, possibly a Renault? Did you see an old blue Citroen go past? Well that was us. Didn't stay long, SWMBO was a little freaked by the three guys spraypainting and decided that she didn't like wandering around old buildings anyway. Didn't get any decent pictures, then my batteries went.

I'll definitely be back, with a big torch, spare camera batteries, and some protective clothing...
gordonjcp
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby stevoooo » Fri Nov 28, 2003 12:03 pm

Great new photos, Sharon. I think an exhibition on St Peters is a fantastic idea. I'd certainly be willing to add to the material. I've got a small collection myself plus the new 3D stuff we've been creating for the Virtual Restoration website.

Darrell, I've seen clips of the Murray Grigor, Space and Light film but would love to see the whole thing. Where did you get a copy of it? I have a video of a 1994 show called "Don't Look Down" in which Gavin Stamp debates with a guy from the catholic church on the reasons why the building got to the state it is in now. In that there is clips of Space and Light and an older BBC film called "Four Modern Buildings" (Black and White from 1966) together with footage of what it was like in '94, when Kilmahew house was still standing.

steve
stevoooo
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby Sharon » Sat Dec 06, 2003 5:29 pm

Another addition to the St Peter's Project.

St Peter's in the 60's

Added to the project are images from the 1960's when the seminary was in use.
Beware of yawning dogs.
Sharon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby stevoooo » Fri Dec 19, 2003 12:06 pm

Woooo fame at last, our Virtual Restoration project has made the pages of the Architects' Journal (18/12/03)

There is a bit about our St Peter's 3D model some images that we have created and a photo of it in its current state. If you would like to see the article, drop me a message and I can email you a scan of it.

stevoooo
stevoooo
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby stevoooo » Wed Jan 07, 2004 10:53 pm

I'm currently in the process of trying to get my hands on some 35mm slides showing the interiors of St Peter's, taken when the building had just opened. I'll let you guys know how I get on, and I'll scan and upload them for you to see.

stevoooo
stevoooo
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Herald article

Postby stevoooo » Sat Feb 07, 2004 10:34 am

Guys, there is a piece on St. Peter's in today's (Saturday) Herald, in the magazine. It talks about the history of the building and possible regeneration of it. There is also a feature on Iggy Pop in the magazine too :D

stevoooo
stevoooo
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby Sharon » Sat Feb 07, 2004 10:39 am

excellent. something decent in todays paper's!

steve: have you seen the fil space and light of St Peter's??? It was shot in 1972. Pretty cool, shows priests floating about the place.

Daryll: I have made a copy of the film now so can safetly hand it back!
Beware of yawning dogs.
Sharon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby stevoooo » Tue Feb 10, 2004 11:05 am

I've only seen bits of it Sharon. but Daryll said I could borrow it after you were done with it. So I'm looking forward to seeing the full film.

Did you see in the Sunday Herald St Peters made the top 100 sexiest people, places or things in Scotland!

Here's the quote...

20. St Peter’s Seminary, Cardross “Sunbathe naked with another on the mossy roof of Izi Metzstein’s ruined Sixties masterpiece, St Peter’s Seminary. The views are fantastic, the building is a wonder. It’s appalling that it has not been restored, but the moss on the roof is as soft as fur.” Mark Cousins

stevoooo
stevoooo
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby Sharon » Tue Feb 10, 2004 11:12 am

hahaha... Naked sunbathing, eh?

You would be very lucky not to be disturbed by the dog walkers, neds and the architecturally curious with cameras in hand!!!
Beware of yawning dogs.
Sharon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Reverend Scapegoat » Tue Feb 10, 2004 8:33 pm

Just back from the Seminary myself.

I'm impressed - if we can only find out who actually owns it, I reckon it'd be perfect for our needs!
After about a fortnight of scrap-wood-clearance :|

Will upload photos later.
Reverend Scapegoat
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Reverend Scapegoat » Tue Feb 10, 2004 9:52 pm

Pics from tonight's trip are here:

http://www.uer.ca/locations/viewgal.asp ... alid=10755

As I say in the link, we were MEANT to go over about 2pm today, but my lift was running late... We got there about half past 4.
Whoever said that "It's one of those paths where you're sure you're in the wrong place when all of a sudden it appears in front of you!" was totally correct! The golf cource to theside of the track up was disconcerting, for sure.

I'm also grateful for the "He almost castrated himself, but we found an easy way in round the corner" comment.

So we found it in the end, after dark - hence the low number of photos. I'd forgotten my BFOTorch and my mate had put his Surefire back on his MP5 so we had a mini-maglite and no more. We went up into the main section, and out to the large area at the rear.

All I can say is that I WILL be back ASAP, and if I can find the owner, I'm MORE than willing to put in the month's worth of skip-filling to use this site properly!

If anyone else is planning a trip there (Or, for that matter, anywhere good! ) please give me a shout and I'll pack the camera. Especially if they'll be going via East Kilbride! ;)
Reverend Scapegoat
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Cardno » Tue Feb 10, 2004 9:59 pm

Rev...if ur givin then giv's a shout on MSN. I really wanna c this place and i am more than happy to muck in on the skip filling!
Cardno
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Next

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects