Abandoned/Derelict Farms

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Abandoned/Derelict Farms

Postby purplepantman » Sun Jun 14, 2009 9:55 am

Can't see that a thread has been done about these before.

There's hundreds of them out there and every one must have a story to tell.

What about this one just off the M80 at Stepps? Anyone been to it? Photos?

http://www.bing.com/maps/default.aspx?v ... &encType=1

I'd like to visit as many as I can and try and find out a little bit about them,
working my way in towards Glasgow from where I live.

Does anyone know any interesting ones that might be worth a visit?

Here's my starter for ten anyway.

Garbet Farm, Cumbernauld

http://www.bing.com/maps/default.aspx?v ... &encType=1

Now used as a some kind of shelter for grouse.
When I went up, there were radio's blaring out music but not a soul for miles. 8O
Do grouse like the tranny?

Cheers
Matt
purplepantman
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Re: Abandoned/Derelict Farms

Postby Knightmare » Sun Jun 14, 2009 7:36 pm

I'm sure the farm near Stepps you mention is called Saughs Farm. Someone was talking to me about this recently and I've heard there's still quite a lot of the building remaing so I'm sure it would be worth a visit.

Watch out for the headless horse-man though....just kiddin! :D

I've seen another farm at Jawhills near Fannyside Lochs and also quite near your Garbet Farm. You probably already knwo about it - Just to the east of the smaller of the two lochs. It sits on what looks like a raised circular peice of land.

Have a look on bing maps and also here http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/147295
Knightmare
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby purplepantman » Sun Jun 14, 2009 8:51 pm

Thanks!

Yes, I've been doing a bit of research today and agree it is Saughs.

I'm glad you think it's worth a visit!

Regarding Jawhills. Yes I've heard of this.
Indeed I've driven past it many times and have been meaning to visit it for years.
I've heard it's quite treatcherous to get to though, as it's in the middle of a peat bog surrounded by old mine workings. (It's very near Thieves Hill which Toomse has mentioned on here quite recently).

Cheers
Matt
purplepantman
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby eob » Mon Jun 15, 2009 8:21 am

There is an abandoned/burnt out farm next to the 9th green at Mearns Castle golf course.
However, reading your thread again, methinks that you are only interested in older sites. :oops:
I'll get me coat!

Although, to resurect myself, there are some older buildings along the 6th fairway which might interest you. (If you do go in there, can you have a look for about two dozen titleist's with 'eob' written on them. :wink: )

Next time I play there I'll get pictures for you.
eob
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby BrigitDoon » Mon Jun 15, 2009 8:35 am

There's one out the back-and-beyond of Cambuslang, but I can't remember what it's called. It's quite close to the Clyde. I went through it on one of my long walks last year. If I can remember which month it was or anyone care to remind me of that walk to Blantyre/Uddingston/Cambuslang that I posted up, I'll go looking for the photos.

Got some photos of an old farm in Somerset that they blew up for a telly drama series...
UXB
BrigitDoon
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby gap74 » Mon Jun 15, 2009 2:39 pm

BrigitDoon wrote:There's one out the back-and-beyond of Cambuslang

That'll be Newton Farm - I'm certain I've posted loads of pics of the place on here over the years, but can only really find the ones on this page from last New Year:

viewtopic.php?f=31&t=8092&p=165622
gap74
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Icecube » Sun Jul 19, 2009 7:12 pm

Thought I'd contribute and so I took a trip up to Jawhills today, save you other guys the bother :D Here is a selection of pics.

The Garbethill Burn which you to cross to reach the farm, there is a metal grill affair which makes it easy. The rickety fences are much more of a problem.

Gable end of the farmhouse.

Another of the three byres
The front of the farmhouse
Inside the farmhouse

The rafters seem in fair nick.
Jungle between buildings

Byre
Another byre in quite good nick
A tool left behind - which I didn't have the heart to take away.

If I had plenty of spare dough I'd buy this place, its location is fantastic. First thing a buyer would need to do is make a road to it though.
Icecube
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby MacotheIsles » Sun Jul 19, 2009 11:10 pm

A few years ago I was wont to cycle round Lanarkshire with a box of watercolours and a view to painting old farms, etc. Hassockrigg, just of the main Salsburgh-Harthill Road, was very atmospheric. At that time it had the look and feel of a place that had been not too long abandoned and the residual presence of past farming generations still hung about in a kind of disapproving way. I did my watercolour sketch, got on my bike and legged it: A creepy place, even in daylight. Haven't been back that way for years, so not sure what it's like now. No photo, unfortunately, but the sketch was reasonably accurate at the time.

MacotheIsles
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby beach boy » Wed Jul 22, 2009 7:05 pm

Great painting. Does anyone know anything about the farm which is now a builder's yard in Rutherglen/King's Park. I think it's towards the top end of Bankhead Rd. Sticks out like a sore thumb as it's easily 200 years old and surrounded by 'new' housing.
beach boy
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby DickyHart » Thu Jul 23, 2009 3:42 pm

theres a cracker of an abandoned farm right across the road from the Blackhill transmitter!! I was up there last year. My pics of it are on flickr somewhere. But go up there, you cant miss it.
Is this gonna be a standup fight, sir, or another bughunt?
DickyHart
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Icecube » Thu Jul 23, 2009 6:51 pm

Is that Mountcow Dicky? Couldn't find it on your Dobienet albums. I'll be over in that area soon mosying about an old fishing haunt - the Lily Loch - where thee are some pretty stunning rock formations so I might manage to walk over the moor to Blackhill.
Icecube
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby purplepantman » Thu Jul 23, 2009 7:38 pm

Icecube wrote:Thought I'd contribute and so I took a trip up to Jawhills today, save you other guys the bother

Well done Icecube.
I will get up there myself at some point.
Great to see it looks in great condition with no signs of vandalism (going by your pics).
I think part of the appeal of the place must be that there's no road to it. Maybe I'm just anti-social!? :D
purplepantman
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Icecube » Thu Jul 23, 2009 7:53 pm

purplepantman wrote:
Icecube wrote:Thought I'd contribute and so I took a trip up to Jawhills today, save you other guys the bother

I think part of the appeal of the place must be that there's no road to it. Maybe I'm just anti-social!? :D

No road at all Matt, just some sheep for company. The original access track has long since been ploughed over and any bridge over the burn swept away - the burn looks like it could be dangerous if you fell into it during a spate - although there is a couple of drum like culverts that you can walk over. The whole place is very grown over with waist hight weeds. I don't think there was ever any electrical supply and doubt if there was any plumbing either.
All that said it is quite a special location with good views along the moor. The day I went up [last Sunday] it was stormy and the elevated position [on a drumlin] enabled me to see the rain coming - for which I was grateful!

I wish I had the money to buy it but it would take a lot!
Icecube
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Knightmare » Fri Aug 28, 2009 10:05 am

purplepantman wrote:

Well done Icecube.
I will get up there myself at some point.
Great to see it looks in great condition with no signs of vandalism (going by your pics).

Hi PPM

Loved this thread....any updates?

Did you ever manage to get up to Jawhills. With Autumn coming, it might be a bit more accessible??
Knightmare
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby DickyHart » Fri Aug 28, 2009 3:25 pm

Icecube wrote:Is that Mountcow Dicky? Couldn't find it on your Dobienet albums. I'll be over in that area soon mosying about an old fishing haunt - the Lily Loch - where thee are some pretty stunning rock formations so I might manage to walk over the moor to Blackhill.

Sorry for delay in reply, im not dobienet, thats my mate ralph.

The place i mentioned is called blackhill farm,

Heres my pics of it

http://www.flickr.com/photos/dickyhart/ ... 060129880/

It right across the road from the transmitter.

have fun

dicky
Is this gonna be a standup fight, sir, or another bughunt?
DickyHart
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Next

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects