The Co-op Building...

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: The Co-op Building...

Postby glasgowken » Thu Dec 29, 2011 1:04 pm

The gutted section has mostly gone but they haven't touched the old bit. What do you reckon, will it be saved ?
GK
glasgowken
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby gap74 » Thu Dec 29, 2011 1:08 pm

Noticed that when I crossed the Kingston Bridge the other night - have they reserved judgement on that until the definitely buggered part was demolished and they could get a better look, I wonder?
gap74
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby granticle » Tue Jan 03, 2012 10:47 am

My Flickr - http://www.flickr.com/photos/granticle/
granticle
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby Rucola » Wed Jan 04, 2012 1:53 pm

I wonder what will be built on the site? Affordable housing, I should think. :D
Rucola
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Fat Cat » Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:14 am

Rucola wrote:I wonder what will be built on the site? Affordable housing, I should think. :D

Oh how I laughed.

Keep an eye out here...

http://www.glasgow.gov.uk/en/Business/P ... ysearches/
Fat Cat
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Lucky Poet » Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:20 am

What a cynical bunch. With good reason, though.

I'd be surprised if the site did anything other than lie empty for quite some time, mind you, the economic situation being how it is. (And before the economic situation was how it is, there were plenty long-standing gap sites -or at least sites suitable for development - in that neck of the woods.)
All the world seems in tune on a Spring afternoon, when we're poisoning pigeons in the park.
Lucky Poet
-
-

Postby lee2217 » Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:31 pm

let's hope the remaining part is saved or incorporated in to any new development
although if left it could easily suffer the same fate as the already demolished part
no doubt the insurance pay out on the buildng will make the remaining land a lot cheaper for the owner now
lee2217
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby gap74 » Thu Jan 05, 2012 6:11 pm

It's survived two storms in the last month - I'm no expert, but that suggests it's more solid than the owners might be wanting it to be...
gap74
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby granticle » Sat Jan 07, 2012 11:39 pm

My Flickr - http://www.flickr.com/photos/granticle/
granticle
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby the researcher » Mon Jan 09, 2012 5:37 pm

its still listed on the travel news on ceefax as a building on fire and the road is closed not as it should be unsafe building after serious fire road closed for building demolition
it appears randomly just now when other travel news puts it to the bottom of the pile
the fire at a newsagents in argyle street is listed today on the travel news
THE FLYING SCOT MADE BY RATTRAYS IN GLASGOW THE BEST BICYCLE EVER MADE
the researcher
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Mori » Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:30 pm

ET

Looks like the front of the Gusset building will be saved. :)

Motorist misery Key route into city to remain closed in bid to save landmark Co-op building

23 Jan 2012

A MAIN route into Glasgow city centre will remain closed while demolition work is completed at a fire-ravaged building.
Motorists have been warned that diversions, put in place eight weeks ago after fire ripped through the former Co-operative Funeral Care building in Morrison Street, Tradeston, will not be lifted until next month.
It has also been discovered a part of the listed building, which was made up of three sections, can now be saved.
Several streets in the area are closed except for local access, with traffic being diverted away from Paisley Road towards nearby Seaward Street.
Nor is there any access to the city centre from junction 21 of the M8 eastbound, which remains closed.
It could be next month before Paisley Road reopens
It was originally thought the entire building would have to be demolished, but once work started it emerged one structure would no longer need to be pulled down.
The distinctive clock-front facade now appears to have been saved.
Fire broke out at the former Co-operative Funeral Service building on November 28, leading to nearby roads being cordoned off.
Glasgow City Council is in talks with Belfast-based owners Benmore Developments over the site.

A council spokesman said: “It is a complex situation of three buildings in one. Two are virtually demolished, but it seems the third section can now be saved.
“However, we cannot allow the road to reopen until we are satisfied the structure and the area is safe.

“We want to open the road as soon as possible, but it looks like it will be February before Paisley Road can be used again.”
It is also taking some time for the site to be cleared because materials have to be separated before they are disposed of.
In the meantime, resurfacing work has been carried out on a section of Paisley Road while restrictions are in place. It is part of planned roadworks for the area.
Householders and office workers were evacuated after the fire on November 28, in which flames leapt 100ft into the air.
A team of about 100 firefighters tackled the blaze, which brought evening rush-hour traffic to a standstill as it sent clouds of thick smoke billowing across the Kingston Bridge.
Recalling the fire, 22-year-old resident Maria Storr, told how she was out shopping when she got a call from a friend to tell her the building was on fire.
She said: “I was only gone for about an hour when my friend called … she had to abandon her car.
“Firefighters stopped her and told her she had to leave her car because there were embers falling all over the place.
“It looked like a volcano had erupted.”
Another resident, Alasdair Longford, 25, said: “At first it was just smoke and we saw the fire engines arrive, but within about 15 minutes the whole place was engulfed in flames.”
Senior fire officers said the blaze was one of the worst fires in the city centre in 10 years.
Residents were later allowed back into their homes but roads around the building have been subject to closure and diversions since the blaze.
Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby BTJustice » Tue Jan 24, 2012 4:06 pm

Nice to know there is a chance it will be saved but I bet the residents in the building accross the road would have preferred it to be gone as it will be a lot of work to make safe and I bet it wont look too pretty for a long time.

I did this last week incase it dissapeared;

co-op then and now by route9autos.co.uk, on Flickr

Dave.
My all new film location website is here;
www.rewoundandfound.com

Check oot ma flickr page;
http://www.flickr.com/photos/route9autos/

For handmade jewellery, go to:
http://www.weegemjo.co.uk
BTJustice
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Fossil » Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:52 pm

I wish they would hurry up that fucking detour is killing me
Bum tit tit bum tit tit play yer hairy banjo
Fossil
-
-

Postby the bigman » Wed Feb 22, 2012 6:58 pm

Work starting tommorow to finally bring the remaining front part down
on the highway to hell
the bigman
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby Mori » Fri Feb 24, 2012 5:38 pm

ET

Time runs out for fire-hit clock tower

DEMOLITION SEES END OF 136-YEAR-OLD CITY LANDMARK

THE final section of a fire-ravaged city landmark has been demolished after roads around it were closed for three months.

Diversions have been in place since November last year when fire tore through the former Co-operative Funeral Service building in Morrison Street.

Hopes had been raised that it would be possible to save part of the historic building, which dates from 1876, but after talks between its owners, Benmore Developments, and Glasgow City Council, it was decided it should be demolished.

A spokesman for Glasgow City Council said: “The owners’ contractor was back on site on Wednesday to begin the demolition process.

“The preparation work took place on Wednesday, with the machine demolition yesterday
“It is hoped that the roads should reopen in the early part of the next week.”

Householders and office workers in neighbouring buildings were evacuated after the fire on Monday, November 28, during which flames leapt 100ft into the air.

A team of about 100 firefighters tackled the blaze, which brought evening rush-hour traffic to a standstill as it sent clouds of thick smoke billowing across the Kingston Bridge.

Smoke and flames could be seen drifting across the M8 at the bridge, one of Europe’s busiest, for hours.

Sixteen fire engines were at the scene at the height of the fire, while four aerial platforms were brought in to tackle the flames at the rear of the building.

An emergency services helicopter was also sent out to monitor the blaze.

Diversions currently remain in place east-bound along Seaward Street, Scotland Street and West Street, and west-bound along Tradeston Street, Cook Street, West Street, Scotland Street and Seaward Street.

Morrison Street remains closed between West Street and Paisley Road but light traffic can access Paterson Street from the A8/Morrison Street.

Paisley Road is closed from Seaward Street to West Street. Local access is available on Paisley Road to Springfield Quay.
Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects