Re: The Co-op Building...

Postby jodieohdoh » Wed Nov 30, 2011 1:14 pm

Incredible photos.
jodieohdoh
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Doorstop » Wed Nov 30, 2011 2:36 pm

Slack jawed in admiration. Absolutely cool.
I like him ... He says "Okie Dokie!"
Doorstop
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Delmont St Xavier » Wed Nov 30, 2011 3:46 pm

Absolutely stunning very difficult to single one out, but I did - the fireman on the high rise has to be a classic and should go on to become a historic record on par with those taken of Cheapside Street fire and 9/11

Well done!
"Listen, it's too big a world to be in competition with everyone. The only person who I have to be better than is myself. And in your case, that's enough."
Delmont St Xavier
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby the researcher » Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:17 pm

the building am talking about when you looked at the entrance you were also looking towards paisley road toll
this is where the service rooms were where my grandparents funerals took place in 76 and 79 respectively (not 78 as i said before) and the roof of which you could see from the kingston bridge when heading south if you looked to your left i think the roof was flat not pitched
it may well be that they moved it to the building which has been on fire hence my confusion
THE FLYING SCOT MADE BY RATTRAYS IN GLASGOW THE BEST BICYCLE EVER MADE
the researcher
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby the researcher » Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:25 pm

BenCooper wrote:The attic had lots of lovely old plans - I only photographed a few. The two parts of the building were separated by a wall and fire doors, so it might be possible to save the front part, though I doubt they'll do that.

damn shame that about the plans in the attic they should have been rescued and handed into the mitchell library or the archive centre to be preserved and allowed to be looked at now they are gone forever
were they plans of co-op buildings?
the researcher
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby yoker brian » Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:41 pm

the researcher wrote:damn shame that about the plans in the attic they should have been rescued and handed into the mitchell library or the archive centre to be preserved and allowed to be looked at now they are gone forever

Yes it is a shame if the plans were lost to the fire, however to encourage someone to "rescue" the plans is basically the same as encouraging stealing - and urban explorers like Ben and many others on here are careful not to get caught up in such illegalities whilst enjoying their hobby.

I'm sure that any reputable Archivist or Librarian particularly those at the Mitchell would not accept any material in that manner, without knowing the person handing the items over had legal ownership and the authority to to make the deposit - I know I wouldn't
Milk Sucks, Got Beer?
yoker brian
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Boxer6 » Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:44 pm

potatojunkie wrote:Got a phonecall from a friend telling me that something "pretty big" was on fire "west of Sauchiehall Street" because that's where the huge plume of smoke had reached. Dashed down to Charing Cross and was able to follow it from there. Another friend told me you could smell it in Ruchill.

I was driving back form a visit about half two, and I could smell it (in the car, windows up) in Barmulloch!! I thought it was fog at first, then the smell came through the air vents....
Some people hear voices.. Some see invisible people.. Others have no imagination whatsoever.
Boxer6
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby the researcher » Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:59 pm

yoker brian wrote:
the researcher wrote:damn shame that about the plans in the attic they should have been rescued and handed into the mitchell library or the archive centre to be preserved and allowed to be looked at now they are gone forever

Yes it is a shame if the plans were lost to the fire, however to encourage someone to "rescue" the plans is basically the same as encouraging stealing - and urban explorers like Ben and many others on here are careful not to get caught up in such illegalities whilst enjoying their hobby.

I'm sure that any reputable Archivist or Librarian particularly those at the Mitchell would not accept any material in that manner, without knowing the person handing the items over had legal ownership and the authority to to make the deposit - I know I wouldn't

sorry i didnt realise it was an urban exploration visit i thought it was a legit visit round the building
the researcher
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Doorstop » Wed Nov 30, 2011 8:34 pm

Now, it may be my suspicious nature but if, as I'm reliably informed, this building was a nightmare to navigate inside then it's fairly safe to say that it'd be a money pit when trying to renovate it for any contemporary usage. Yes?

Now that's a *very* good reason for it to simply "be damaged beyond repair" and demolished leaving a lovely prime bit of waterfront real estate ready for development free of the incumbent costs of re-jigging a labyrinthine interior built when over engineering was the norm.
I like him ... He says "Okie Dokie!"
Doorstop
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Josef » Wed Nov 30, 2011 8:42 pm

Doorstop wrote:Now, it may be my suspicious nature but if, as I'm reliably informed, this building was a nightmare to navigate inside then it's fairly safe to say that it'd be a money pit when trying to renovate it for any contemporary usage. Yes?

Now that's a *very* good reason for it to simply "be damaged beyond repair" and demolished leaving a lovely prime bit of waterfront real estate ready for development free of the incumbent costs of re-jigging a labyrinthine interior built when over engineering was the norm.

Yes. And there were additional complications wrt its previous usage.

'lovely prime bit of waterfront real estate ready for development' is probably true-ish, but would be more convincing if someone had stepped in to develop the recently-created wasteland across the squiggly bridge. Admittedly I haven't looked in to the relative cost, though. And I suppose it's probably cheaper, or at the very least not more expensive, to own a patch of waste land than a derlelict building. But I wouldn't wish to encourage such clearly scurrilous notions, which are equally clearly without foundation.
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Vinegar Tom » Wed Nov 30, 2011 8:48 pm

Delmont St Xavier wrote:Absolutely stunning very difficult to single one out, but I did - the fireman on the high rise has to be a classic and should go on to become a historic record on par with those taken of Cheapside Street fire and 9/11

Well done!

Aye, well done PJ! Beautiful record of the sad event - the pics deserve a wider audience.
Glasgow ya bas!
Vinegar Tom
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby BenCooper » Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:23 pm

yoker brian wrote:Yes it is a shame if the plans were lost to the fire, however to encourage someone to "rescue" the plans is basically the same as encouraging stealing - and urban explorers like Ben and many others on here are careful not to get caught up in such illegalities whilst enjoying their hobby.

Yes, this is the problem. I do try, when I find things like this, to get the stuff rescued legitimately - the GU Archives Service are very good, never had much luck getting the Mitchell or others interested (they lose stuff they've already got, never mind giving them new stuff). Often, though, the owners refuse point blank. In that case, all I can do is photograph as much as I can in-situ. I've even resorted to taking a portable lightbox along to places where there are slides or transparencies ;-)
www.transientplaces.co.uk
BenCooper
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby BrigitDoon » Thu Dec 01, 2011 4:54 am

potatojunkie wrote:Image

That's made the hairs on the back of my head stand up. Quite scary.
UXB
BrigitDoon
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects