Glaswegian Caryatids

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Glaswegian Caryatids

Postby KonstantinL » Sat May 23, 2009 8:07 pm

I was walking down Sauchiehall Street the other day and while looking up saw a couple of caryatids on what used to be (if I remember correctly) the old Bank of India building and it occurred to me it might be a nice little project if we could get a definitive list of all the caryatids in Glasgow - especially with photos!

In case some of you don't know what a caryatid is (its possible, sorry to those that do!) it is a column (like a doric or ionic column) but with the column in the form of a female sculpture. The male version of a caryatid is an atlas or telamon of which there are two on Argyle street just along from Frasers, next to a key place I think!

But surely there are more examples in a city with so much neo-classical architecture? What you got Hidden Glasgow?
KonstantinL
Second Stripe
Second Stripe
 
Posts: 389
Joined: Wed May 19, 2004 9:18 am
Location: Motherwell

Re: Glaswegian Caryatids

Postby Monument » Sat May 23, 2009 8:22 pm

There are some in the lobby of the City Chambers. Anyone got a picture?
A vagabond on the way.
User avatar
Monument
Third Stripe
Third Stripe
 
Posts: 1454
Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2005 10:23 am
Location: Fife

Re: Glaswegian Caryatids

Postby HollowHorn » Sat May 23, 2009 8:58 pm

KonstantinL wrote:In case some of you don't know what a caryatid is

Me for one. Cheers. :wink:
User avatar
HollowHorn
Third Stripe
Third Stripe
 
Posts: 8925
Joined: Mon May 23, 2005 9:59 pm
Location: Paisley

Re: Glaswegian Caryatids

Postby BrigitDoon » Sat May 23, 2009 9:14 pm

New word every day. Thanks :)
UXB
BrigitDoon
Third Stripe
Third Stripe
 
Posts: 4232
Joined: Mon Oct 27, 2008 10:03 pm

Re: Glaswegian Caryatids

Postby onyirtodd » Sun May 24, 2009 9:34 am

KonstantinL wrote:
But surely there are more examples in a city with so much neo-classical architecture? What you got Hidden Glasgow?


Is this what you have in mind?
Image
238 to 127. All in all a good afternoon's work
User avatar
onyirtodd
Third Stripe
Third Stripe
 
Posts: 3176
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2006 11:40 pm
Location: a car park near you

Re: Glaswegian Caryatids

Postby Ronnie » Sun May 24, 2009 1:10 pm

Also on the west front of the Mitchell Library (the former St Andrew's Halls. (There are also two atlantes.)

Are you including herms? If so, there are lovely ones on the Liverpool, London and Globe Insurance Building in St Vincent Street. And on the Connal Building in West George Street.
upupdowndownleftrightleftrightbastart
User avatar
Ronnie
Third Stripe
Third Stripe
 
Posts: 1984
Joined: Sat Jan 17, 2004 11:22 pm
Location: Glasgow

Re: Glaswegian Caryatids

Postby KonstantinL » Mon May 25, 2009 8:48 pm

onyirtodd wrote:
KonstantinL wrote:
But surely there are more examples in a city with so much neo-classical architecture? What you got Hidden Glasgow?


Is this what you have in mind?
Image


That's the one.

Confusing Pakistan with India could cause problems!
KonstantinL
Second Stripe
Second Stripe
 
Posts: 389
Joined: Wed May 19, 2004 9:18 am
Location: Motherwell

Re: Glaswegian Caryatids

Postby rabmania » Thu May 28, 2009 8:57 pm

KonstantinL wrote:
onyirtodd wrote:
KonstantinL wrote:
But surely there are more examples in a city with so much neo-classical architecture? What you got Hidden Glasgow?


Is this what you have in mind?
Image


That's the one.

Confusing Pakistan with India could cause problems!


Image

sadly gone-i-stan
rabmania
Third Stripe
Third Stripe
 
Posts: 854
Joined: Sat Nov 29, 2008 8:36 pm


Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests