THE GLASGOW FORTEAN

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

THE GLASGOW FORTEAN

Postby jim » Fri Jun 18, 2004 8:22 pm

Charles Fort was a collector of stories of the weird, the wonderful, the inexplicable and the 'impossible'. He was convinced that there was a whole other set of realities that scientific thought had rejected because they did not fit within the accepted scientific paradigm. He also had a sense of the absurd.
So in the spirit of Fort (and Fortean Times) I'd like to initiate a thread where people can post their stories of the weird, the inexplicable...and so forth.

We could produce an alternative map of the city, charting the ebb and flow of oddness! The irruption of the marvellous into the eveyday!

This could mean anything from ghost stories to strange crazes and panics, peculiar coincidences, odd encounters, strange lights and haunted places. The list goes on.
Of course any places that threw up a marked incidence of strangeness could be visited by a band of intrepid psychic investigators... Preferably on or near the Twilight Hour...

So what have you got? Something along these lines has happened to everyone. Most of us have had a close encounter with...something?

strangeness resources:
http://www.forteantimes.com/index.html
http://www.strangeattractor.co.uk/
http://www.nthposition.com/
http://www.disinfo.com/site/
a pair of stout boots, a stick, and away...
jim
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Sharon » Sat Jun 19, 2004 1:05 pm

I particularly like this idea...especially the map making part.

And it just so happens that we know some ghostbusters - with gadgets -who would be more than willing to lend their expertise around thee withching hour!

Eventually I'd love to see a whole series of alternative maps of Glasgow that ignore the norm.
Beware of yawning dogs.
Sharon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby jim » Sat Jun 19, 2004 1:17 pm

The Glasgow Fortean board has been unused in the past week. Seems to me that HG has a readymade constituency who could supply all sorts of info on specific places etc. I don't care where it is (here, coffee lounge, whatever), but if people are interested enough to contribute thats great!

I'm getting this image of the characters from Scooby Doo sneaking around a haunted castle... (Ronnie as Velma, Fossil as Scooby?)

Could be fun...
jim
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Sharon » Sat Jun 19, 2004 1:20 pm

how about an old asylum say.... :wink:
Beware of yawning dogs.
Sharon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Fossil » Sat Jun 19, 2004 1:26 pm

..cheers Jim ::): ..Scooby snack all round.. BTW whose shaggy? PGcc93?

This looks like a very interesting subject Jim. Got something lined up mid-week if your free...

To the mystery machine..

-Scooby-
Bum tit tit bum tit tit play yer hairy banjo
Fossil
-
-

Postby Ronnie » Sat Jun 19, 2004 1:42 pm

Count me in ... if I can find my Velma wig.
upupdowndownleftrightleftrightbastart
Ronnie
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby jim » Sat Jun 19, 2004 1:51 pm

Going to weird and wonderful Denmark on Monday. But be assured I will be searching out Scandinavian Strangeness (if its allowed).

Could there be a character called 'Baldy' in the gang? I always thought Shaggy would make a good train driver...

Once, when going through the witches Wood in Pollok Park (aged 12 or so) I panicked when the usual insect background drone suddenly intensified. I can remember the fear rising then just having to get out of there at top speed! Years later I heard this described as a typical reaction to a visitation from Pan (God of Panic amongst other things).

Another time I thought I glimpsed something on the small suspension bridge at Glasgow Green. Don't know what it was, just an indistinct presence, as if the mist had momentarily coagulated. (Of course there was mist! Is'nt there always on these occasions?)

I can remember playing at Ouija in the tack room (now flats) at Sheep Park Farm in Pollok Park. We distinctly heard a car turning into the farmyard, of course when we went to see who it was there was nothing there...

Then there were the UFO's, the peculiar humming, the odd tunnel vision experience, what can I say its fucking weird out there. (and in my head)
jim
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Fossil » Sat Jun 19, 2004 5:25 pm

jim wrote:Going to weird and wonderful Denmark on Monday. But be assured I will be searching out Scandinavian Strangeness (if its allowed).......................................

I think you will find its about £10 per copy. And yes the customs will confiscate each issue.. :)

....... Jim when your back a visit defo Pollok Park and our outing I'm sure will require another visit.
Bum tit tit bum tit tit play yer hairy banjo
Fossil
-
-

Postby jim » Sat Jun 19, 2004 6:20 pm

Me too. I like the idea that HG can be used to mine other peoples experiences. I don't necessarily have to be convinced of their veracity to enjoy them. Also I really fancy doing the whole haunted house thing! (With ghostbusting equipment if available) So really my reason for starting this is totally selfish. I really do want to make like Scooby Doo and the gang.

Glasgow has an occult (in the sense of 'hidden') history I'd like to investigate more thoroughly, this is one way to do it. For instance the Theosophical Society still have premises in the West end. Then there's The West of Scotland Society of Dowsers, and a whole load of Rosicrucians, Templars & c.

My view is that the Hidden Glasgow forums should be open to all manner of cranks, weirdo's, vagabonds, rake's, rapscallion's, philistines, Bon-Viveur, snake-charmers, pig-stickers, toad-eater's, dandy's, pimps, fancy-men, bully's, sneaks, drunks, horse-thieves, dog-nappers, highwaymen, smugglers, pawn-brokers, mudlarks, forgers, intellectuals, artists, writers & wits!
Too late the fuckers are already in the building! Call security!

see you geeks in three weeks...
jim
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Pgcc93 » Sat Jun 19, 2004 6:55 pm

jim wrote:My view is that the Hidden Glasgow forums should be open to all manner of cranks, weirdo's, vagabonds, rake's, rapscallion's, philistines, Bon-Viveur, snake-charmers, pig-stickers, toad-eater's, dandy's, pimps, fancy-men, bully's, sneaks, drunks, horse-thieves, dog-nappers, highwaymen, smugglers, pawn-brokers, mudlarks, forgers, intellectuals, artists, writers & wits!
Too late the fuckers are already in the building! Call security!

see you geeks in three weeks...

Count me in.
This is Topic of the year jim I can just tell, congrats in advance :wink: :D It's gonnae be huge.
Pgcc93
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby KonstantinL » Tue Jun 22, 2004 12:58 pm

I haven't bought The Fortean Times for along time, mainly because magazines are just to expensive these days but I may start it up again.

One of the strangest things that's happened to me, occured about 6 or 7 years ago. I was walking home late one night, taking a short cut through the woods and then fields. It was a nice clear winters night and the stars were out and I'm not an expert by any mean on astronomy but I like looking at the stars.

Anyway I was halfway across the field looking up when all of a sudden there was a streak of light coming that came right down in front of me. It 'landed' near me, I'm not certain how near, but certainly within 20 yards or so. I tried to find whatever had come down but it was impossible because I was uncertain exactly where it landed and it because I was in the middle of a pitch black field.

I assume it was a shooting star or small meteor or something like that. It happened very quickly but I'm certain it did happen. It came down at an angle rather than straight down.

If it was some sort of space debris it landed not very far from my head! It could have travelled millions of miles through space for eons and it came within 20 yards from lbanging me on the nugget!
KonstantinL
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Cyclo2000 » Wed Jun 23, 2004 11:12 am

Bedlay Castle at Chryston
Our Haunted Kingdom_ by Andrew Green
(London:Wolfe Publishing Ltd. 1973)

“Here is the ideal combination for the ghost hunter--an old Scottish
castle complete with bats, a fine collection of antiques, and a phantom.

Captain Alex McAdam, proprietor of a thriving antique business, moved into Belday Castle in 1969 with his wife and two young daughters, unaware at the time that the ancient walls contained not only bats and wrens but also the ghost of 'a big man'.

Bedlay itself is really ancient. The walls date back to 1175, the date it was built as the country manor house for the Bishop of Glasgow. A new manor and chapel was built at Lochwood, at the Bishops Loch, in 1350, for Bishop Cameron died in suspicious circumstances about that time in a lake that once existed at Bedlay.

This led to the abandonment of Bedlay for ecclesiastical purposes, but obviously the Bishop remained for Hugh MacDonald's Rambles Round Glasgow, published about 1880, contains 'a good account of the ghost of Bedlay’ in a chapter describing Chryston. The haunting about that
time was so acute that a local minister was 'called in to exorcise it', but from recent experience it seems that years have softened the effects and the Bishop Cameron merely 'pounds the floors'.”
Alter Aterius Auxilio Veget
Cyclo2000
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Osiris » Wed Jun 23, 2004 11:34 am

KonstantinL wrote:
If it was some sort of space debris it landed not very far from my head! It could have travelled millions of miles through space for eons and it came within 20 yards from lbanging me on the nugget!

Lucky for you, if it had been a meteorite i very much doubt you'd be here to recount the tale.

When you say that it was winter was it close to Bonfire night?

If I thought that a meteorite had landed nearby i'd be combing the area with a metal detector till I found the bugger, they are worth a hell of a lot of money. Where was this field btw?

J
Osiris
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Cyclo2000 » Wed Jun 23, 2004 11:44 am

My mum says there’s a haunted hospital in Glasgow, but I’ve heard of 2! She spent a lot of time in hospital as a wee girl, both just before and during WW2. She was on the top floor of the Royal the night of the Clydebank Blitz!

She was told that The Royal is on the site of the Glasgow Castle and is haunted in one of the stairwells (she can’t remember which) by the “Green Lady”. Story is she was a nurse who fell down the stairs trying to stop a patient from committing suicide.

My friend is a Consultant at The Western. which is meant to be haunted by a Doctor who turned away a patient who subsequently died. He’s supposed to pace the corridors late at night, muttering. Don’t know any more about him I’m afraid. I suppose if I can remember to ask, that I’ll find out more.

I used to do a bit of business with the Cartland Bridge hotel near Lanark, which is meant to be haunted by the ghost of a wee girl who sits in what was called the Doll Room. Might not still be called that. There’s meant o be another haunted hotel in Lanark but I don’t know which.
Alter Aterius Auxilio Veget
Cyclo2000
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby JayKay » Wed Jun 23, 2004 12:02 pm

KonstantinL wrote:If it was some sort of space debris it landed not very far from my head! It could have travelled millions of miles through space for eons and it came within 20 yards from lbanging me on the nugget!

Lucky it didn't or else you could have made the FT's "unusual deaths" column!
JayKay
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Next

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects