Brownfield Burn

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Brownfield Burn

Postby Glesga_Steve » Mon Apr 06, 2009 1:06 am

The subject of the Brownfield Burn was brought up when I uploaded the below plan to the St. Enoch Burn topic.

Click here for larger version

The burn is shown on the west central section of the plan, starting roughly to the north-west of where Blythswood Square is now and merging with the Clyde approx where McAlpine Street meets the Broomielaw.

I'm of the opinion that it no longer exists (or that it might have been absorbed into the sewerage system), however I decided to have a look through some old OS plans to see if there were any references to it.

The OS large scale Glasgow town plans [1892-94] show a Royalty and Ward boundary running parallel to McAlpine Street on it's west side, with parts of the boundary shown to be along the centre of a covered stream (abbreviated as CCS) - a culvert (or cundy) to give it its modern name.

Unfortunately, the plans didn't contain any obvious reference to the burn north of Argyle Street.

Sheet VI.10.19

Sheet VI.10.14

Aerial View

I know over the last few years the Broomielaw has undergone a fair bit of redevelopment, however I haven't been down that way for long and weary so I'm not sure if the land bounded by Washington Street/McAlpine Street is largely still a brownfield site - anyone have any idea?

Also, for the life of me, I can't think what was on this land previously - anyone have a better memory?

I'm wondering how easy it would be to find development plans for whatever has most recently been built on the land. Everyone knows you can arrange to view current planning application details but does anyone know if Glasgow City Council gives access to old application details?

Given there has been nearly two hundred years of development, followed by redevelopment, followed by further redevelopment (and so on) of this part of the city, I think it's almost certain that the burn doesn't exist any more and that the culvert was either removed, abandoned or infilled. Still, I'd like to find out as much about the burn/culvert as I can. Has anyone ever came across any other references to it?
Glesga_Steve
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re: Brownfield Burn

Postby toomse » Mon Apr 06, 2009 1:26 pm

toomse
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects