Lost Football Grounds

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Lost Football Grounds

Postby aland » Sun Nov 01, 2009 2:49 pm

used to be involved with ardrossan winton rovers, think it was season 88-89 i was 1st at peasy park plus the time we held the peasy to a draw in the scottish at winton park then got humped at peasy. must have been about 2002
aland
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby banjo » Sun Nov 01, 2009 4:59 pm

i was never in the old one but was there last season for the cup tie against the bankies and was impressed with the place.we were treated well and looked after in the social club.a victory for the paper hankies as well .
banjo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby garngad bhoy » Sun Nov 01, 2009 7:31 pm

to kenny1986,vale of clyde park was called fullerton park not germiston park
garngad bhoy
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby peasy23 » Mon Nov 02, 2009 11:51 am

garngad bhoy wrote:to kenny1986,vale of clyde park was called fullerton park not germiston park

And still is Fullarton Park. Fair play to the Vale committee, they have tried hard in recent years to try and bring the ground up to a decent standard. They installed a new refreshment cabin over the summer which allows you to down your pie and bovril indoors!

I would reckon that Fullarton is one of the oldest grounds in Scotland still in it's original use.
peasy23
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby calamity » Fri Jan 08, 2010 9:56 am

Roseberry Park....Image
calamity
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby peasy23 » Fri Jan 08, 2010 11:23 am

Roseberry Park now has a new road running right through it, or it will have when it is finished in the next few months.
peasy23
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby fatweegee » Sat Jan 09, 2010 3:59 pm

The old St. Anthony's ground was called Moor Park, same as the nearby housing estate that was commonly known as 'The Wine Alley'. It is now the new small business park diagionlly opposite KFC on Helen Street, next to the Rangers supporters club.
fatweegee
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby fatweegee » Sat Jan 09, 2010 4:00 pm

fatweegee
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby bod68 » Wed Jan 20, 2010 5:04 pm

Yes..you are correct. The area described as the old St Anthony's "The Ants" is the Albion - which later housed Ibrox training ground and is now a car park and the high flats on Broomloan road.

The actual "Ant's" ground is north of the bus garage. A piece of spare ground about 11o'clock from the gas tank.
Unfortunately - it has gone and is now an office complex.

I moved to Ibrox in 1972- infact you can see my house in both pictures at the corner of PRW and Broomloan Rd. The motorway had been commissioned but hadn't reached this part of Ibrox until the mid 70's.
The White City had long gone and a petrol garage and waste ground was in it's place. Bellahouston Park still went right down to the corner of PRW and the high risers were considered "New" build!

I love both pictures as even today - they've changed so much - most noticibly my childhood house is gone :(
It wisnae me.....Ask emmdy !!
bod68
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby fluffysparkles » Sun Jan 31, 2010 2:34 pm

I think you are right Dougald. I think the Stadium to the left of Ibrox is the Albion. This was used by Rangers to train until the late 70s, early 80s and is now a car park owned by Rangers.
fluffysparkles
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Sun Jan 31, 2010 5:36 pm

fluffysparkles wrote:I think you are right Dougald. I think the Stadium to the left of Ibrox is the Albion. This was used by Rangers to train until the late 70s, early 80s and is now a car park owned by Rangers.

We've been here before.

Dexter St. Clair wrote:I think you're right Dugald and i believe some one has not used the Search facility or they would have found this

Armadillo wrote
I think the stadium in the picture is White City Sports Ground; there was also the Albion Dog Track to the north east, just out of picture (between White City and Ibrox). Going by various maps, both seem to have survived until the 50s/60s (possibly even later, I don't know), but are presumably now long gone under the motorway, etc

Empire Exhibition
"I before E, except after C" works in most cases but there are exceptions.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Cairncraig » Sat Jul 17, 2010 12:12 pm

Strathclyde Juniors played at New Springfield Park in Silverdale Street before they went defunct circa 1966. Parkhead Juniors first ground was near the junction of Shettleston Road and Old Shettleston Road 'the Sheddens'. Their next ground was located at Powfoot and Beattock Street and was known as Helenslea Park.They then moved from there to a new Helenslea Park at Cuthelton Strret and Methven Street where they played until they went defunct in 1964. Bridgeton Waverley were founded as an amatuer club by former pupils of Queen Mary Street School but they disbanded for the duration of the First World War. They reformed after the War as a Juvenile club and went Junior in 1924 and played their home games at Shawfield for the first couple of seasons before opening their own ground at Camlachie which was known as Barrowfield Park. Their ground was part of a compulsory purchase order for the building of Barrowfield Housing Scheme in 1936 and they then opened New Barrowfield Park at West-thorn on th London Road directly facing Helenslea Park home of Parkhead Juniors. New Barrowfield Park was also part of a compulsory purchase order for housing by the City Council around 1960 but it was never used for the purpose of housing and eventually became the training ground of Celtic FC. Bridgeton Waverley played their last couple of season's at Carntyne Dog Track before going out of the game in 1962. I believe that Parkhead Juniors did play a couple of season's at Helenvale Park in between the time of their move from Beattock Street to Cuthelton Street whilst their new ground was being prepared.
Cairncraig
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby Cairncraig » Sat Jul 17, 2010 12:12 pm

New Springfield Park was the fifth home of Strathclyde Juniors their original ground was in the Beechwood Street area in Dalmarnock before they moved to Springfield Road.
Last edited by Cairncraig on Sat Jul 17, 2010 12:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Cairncraig
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby girevodal » Sun Jul 18, 2010 9:06 pm

Fantastic information Cairncraig, many thanks. I'm sure I read somewhere that Dennistoun Waverley folded after losing their ground to a Council CPO, is that right? :?
girevodal
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby LinkMunki » Thu Jul 22, 2010 12:45 pm

Does anybody know where a Glasgow club/team? "Caledonian" played back in the 1880s, Falkirk played them, but all the report said was at Burnbank, Glasgow.

LinkMunki
Just settling in
Just settling in

PreviousNext

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects