Lost Football Grounds

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Lost Football Grounds

Postby kenny1986 » Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:49 pm

Hello everyone. I'm new to this forum and am having loads of fun trawling through all the old Glasgow stuff. I find all this stuff fascinating - always have done - and in my job as a delivery driver I see plenty of Glasgow and evidence of what once was part of our city.

Was wondering if anyone could help me out with a little project I'm working on. I'm looking for old pictures of junior football grounds in the city, particularly the ones I've listed at the bottom of this post. I've tried the Mitchell and haven't had a whole load of luck so far so any help is much appreciated.

I'm looking for old photos of:

Newlandsfield Park, Newburgh Street, Pollokshaws (Pollok FC)
Rosebery Park, Polmadie (Shawfield Juniors FC)
Heleslea Park, Helenvale Street, Parkhead (Parkhead Juniors FC)
Springfield Park, Springfield Road, Dalmarnock (Strathclyde Juniors FC)
Petershill Park, Petershill Road, Springburn (Petershill FC) (the old ground!)
Keppoch Park, Possil (Glasgow Perthshire FC)
Germiston Park (Vale of Clyde FC)

and any other junior grounds in the Greater Glasgow area.

Much appreciated

Kenny
kenny1986
Just settling in
Just settling in

Re: Lost Football Grounds

Postby Josef » Wed Feb 25, 2009 6:39 am

A cursory search of this site alone throws up at least two.

Shawfield Juniors and Petershill

There might well be more.

Schiehallion's link to the juniors site doesn't seem to work any more, though.
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby kenny1986 » Wed Feb 25, 2009 5:24 pm

Thanks Josef. I already have those photos apart from the colour version of Peasie Park. I attended the old Petershil Park a number of times before it was demolished and it was one of my favourite grounds. It was a shame they replaced it with the soul-less plastic venue now situated on top of the hill. I believe the stairs leading up to the terracing are still intact so I will try and get a couple of snaps and post them.

Any other old pics of grounds are welcome. :D
kenny1986
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby kenny1986 » Thu Feb 26, 2009 11:21 pm

A couple I took from maps.live.com

1. Springfield Park, off Springfield Road, Dalmarnock - Former home of Strathclyde Juniors, another succesful club and rival of Parkhead's. Since this pic was taken, the land has been almost completely cleared to make way for the Commonwealth Athletes Village. Strathclyde also ceased to be during the mid-60s.

2. Helenslea Park, Helenvale Street, Parkhead - Former home of Parkhead Juniors, a very successful junior club from the early 20th Century, only half the terracing shown in this picture still remains due to some new construction. Parkhead went bust in the early 60s.

kenny1986
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby aland » Fri Feb 27, 2009 3:33 pm

see http://nonleaguescotland.co.uk/region/Oldies/oldies.htm for some old grounds, some glasgow some further afield
aland
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby busdriver » Fri Feb 27, 2009 5:47 pm

Helenslea Park

"Parkhead Football Club", was a founding member of the Scottish Junior Football League but the team now no longer exists. It played at Helenslea Park in Parkhead, Glasgow. In the early years of the Scottish Junior Cup , Parkhead Juniors was, if any the dominant team. It appeared in 9 finals and won the cup 5 times - in 1899, 1902 ,1915, 1920 and 1924.

Across London Road from Westthorn Park you will find the site of what used to be the home ground of Parkhead Juniors Football Club. Founded in 1880, it was the oldest team in the Scottish Junior League. The entrance was in Methven Street.
Parkhead Juniors seem, like a lot of Lilybank , to have disappeared from history. Though they were still playing in the 1950s, they went defunct in June 1963. During the mid 80's I believe the park was transformed as part of the G.E.A.R. (Glasgow East Area Renewal) project into a Skateboarding/Cyclepark and all that remained of the old football ground was gone forever.
Reguloj por la gvidado de sagxuloj kaj blinda obeemo de malsagxuloj.
busdriver
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby kenny1986 » Fri Feb 27, 2009 8:20 pm

fao: busdriver - I'm informed Parkhead's ground was on Helevale Street (see above post and disused terracing).
kenny1986
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby Josef » Fri Feb 27, 2009 9:14 pm

kenny1986 wrote:fao: busdriver - I'm informed Parkhead's ground was on Helevale Street (see above post and disused terracing).

You've been misinformed, Kenny. See here or several places on HG for the history of Helenvale Park, which is the ground in your photo.
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby kenny1986 » Fri Feb 27, 2009 9:47 pm

Thanks for clearing it up guys. The info I got was from an old Maryhill Juniors football programme which described Parkhead's ground as being in Helenvale Street - they obviously got confused between Helenvale and Helenslea - so thanks for confirming it for me!

I think I'm right about Strathclyde's ground though!

I also used to have a cracking photo of St. Anthony's old ground (Moore Park, now modern office blocks) but can't find it :?
kenny1986
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby Mori » Sun Mar 01, 2009 2:48 pm

Glasgow story

A crowd gathered to watch a football match at Plantation, 1955. The players in dark jerseys appear to be celebrating a goal.

The Fifty pitches @ Linthouse/Govan have also been taken up by an office development.
Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby floweredpig » Sun Mar 01, 2009 3:05 pm

aland wrote:see http://nonleaguescotland.co.uk/region/Oldies/oldies.htm for some old grounds, some glasgow some further afield
Superb link Alan thanks very much.The picture of the derelict clubhouse at Carnoustie Panmure brings back memories as thats where we used to go at 16 for an illicit pint or two on a friday.
floweredpig
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby aland » Sun Mar 01, 2009 7:44 pm

the fifty pitches was split by the M8 and the development on the other side of the road (daily record press etc) there is still about 3 pitches on the govan side including McKenna park home of st anthonys

there is a lot of interesting grounds still in glasgow like Tinto Park home of benburb and ashfield stadium
aland
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Mori » Sun Mar 01, 2009 11:20 pm

This 1 is from the . Past & Present 2

In the middle of the picture is the old Ibrox; to its left is the
old St Anthony’s FC ground. The old White City dog-track is in the foreground, just in front of Bellahouston Park. The venue was for a time also the home of the Glasgow Tigers speedway team.

Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Mori » Mon Mar 02, 2009 5:09 pm

A previous thread ( maybe) relating to this one.

Cambuslang-mystery pitch & building

Hervey wrote:Might be flats soon? Going back to its original use. Was a miners' row until approx 1900. My grandparents lived there before being relocated to Silverbanks St at the beginning of the 20th century.
I played football regularly on that field in the 1950s]
Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dugald » Tue Mar 03, 2009 12:55 am

Mori, I had a good look at the older of the two pictures you posted and I'm not sure if the ground you refer to as the "old St Anthony's FC ground." is the one to which you are referring. The old St Anthony's FC ground is barely visible in the picture on the east side of Helen St. somewhat removed from Ibrox. You have clearly identified the old White City dog-track as being in the foreground just in front of Bellahouston Park. The track and field just west and slightly south of Ibrox Stadium I believe was the Albion Dog Track. I have the notion this is the park you refer to as St. Anthony's; if I've got it wrong...sorry!
Dugald
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Next

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects