Cleveden Road tunnel

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Cleveden Road tunnel

Postby toomse » Thu Feb 12, 2009 1:43 pm

Probably barking up the wrong tree here as this is a busy rail / canal area bit is anyone local / familiar with this tunnel off Cleveden Road (save me the bother of an unnecessary trip). Seems to appear out of nowhere, heads north then goes under the Forth & Clyde canal then under Temple Road stopping short of the line from Knightswood South junction to Maryhill Station.

Recorded to the east of Cleveden Road there’s a disused rail tunnel that runs parallel to the canal and some dismantled rail sections but the tunnel highlighted intersects this route.

Unconnected but 350m west of here there’s also a tunnel recorded between the two gas tanks but the route of this is not shown
toomse
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Re: Cleveden Road tunnel

Postby dazza » Thu Feb 12, 2009 2:48 pm

Sounds like the disused Temple Gasworks and Kelvindale lines.
dazza
-
-

Postby Vinny the Mackem » Fri Feb 13, 2009 1:31 pm

I could be very wrong here (I frequently am!) but in view of the location and it's direction the tunnel in the first map might just run down to the old station on Great Western Road, next to Gartnavel.

The second tunnel, I think, ultimately passes under the Botanics.

No doubt someone with significantly more knowledge than me (again, not too difficult) will correct me!
Vinny the Mackem
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby toomse » Thu Feb 19, 2009 1:15 pm

vinny, the line you refer to looks like it’s the Balgray tunnel that runs from Gartnavel Hospital to south of Kelvindale Road – not sure where it goes after here

dazzababes, the disused tunnel on the second picture heads towards the direction of Kelvindale Gardens/Kelvindale Road – is this the Kelvindale lines you refer to?
If so the tunnel highlighted is not connected but intersects this at the Cleveden Road junction

here’s all visible tunnels around the Botanics area

toomse
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects