Glasgow’s best and worst concerts

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Glasgow’s best and worst concerts

Postby Quality Mince » Mon Feb 02, 2009 11:05 pm

Alycidon,
I also saw Queen in 1975. I also saw them as an up and coming band in Nov 1974 just after they had released the Queen 2 album if memory serves. This was my very first Apollo concert. Queen were fabulous live, even if Freddy couldn’t quite hit the high notes. I saw them a third time I think in 1977. I saw we the musical “We will Rock You” in London last July and I must say this is also a terrific show. Thoroughly recommended particularly if you are a Queen fan.

I also saw YES in concert before 1980. Perhaps 75 or 76. I’m sure Rick Wakeman had left at this point. Can’t recall the keyboard player. I was a massive YES fan as a school boy in the early 70s. I thought my sophisticated taste in music would impress the birds!! My mates who were into Roxy Music alas got the birds!!

Can’t believe you sold your ticket stubb for £79. I kept all my ticket stubbs for years as well!!

Have you viewed this site? http://www.inthewilderness.com/apollo/
Quality Mince
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Schiehallion » Mon Feb 02, 2009 11:27 pm

I saw Queen in 1979 at the Apollo - brilliant. Still got my Crazy Little Thing Called Love tour badge!
Schiehallion
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby well skelpt coupon » Wed Feb 04, 2009 2:27 pm

Howdy,

I saw Kiss at the Apollo in 1983. And I've still got the ticket stub. That must be worth at least... 79p. Including postage.

Regards
well skelpt coupon
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby KonstantinL » Thu Feb 05, 2009 10:29 pm

Since Lux Interior died last night I should mention here that the best concert I've ever been to was The Cramps at the Barrowlands (where else?) in either '90 or '91. They came to the Barrowlands twice in quick succession and I've forgotten which one it was! They opened with 'Muleskinner Blues' as I remember.

Another great gig was the first White Stripes concert in Scotland at King Tuts in early 2001 just before they broke big. Seeing Jack play guitar up close was something I'll never forget.
KonstantinL
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Guitarman » Fri Feb 06, 2009 12:17 am

Wasn't aware that Lux Interior died last night -what a great band the Cramps were.....
Guitarman
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby Jock58 » Sat Feb 07, 2009 12:13 pm

It begs the question - What other well-known guitarists now deceased have played in Glasgow??

The one & only Rory Gallagher rocked glasgow everytime he played there.
Jock58
Jock58
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby macdonald » Thu Apr 16, 2009 6:06 am

I saw a band called Byzantium supporting The Faces at the Greens in 72. They were truly awful. Saw a couple of good supports. Brinsley Schwarz with Wings in 73. Quiver with The Who in 71. Saw the Persuasions supporting Lou Reed in 73. They were excellent but the audience hadn't a clue what to make of them.

theplumber wrote:Any fans of Be Bop Deluxe remember John Cooper Clarke leaving the stage after a barrage of abuse from the Glasgow Apollo audience after about10 minutes? He supported the band in 1977 or maybe 78........anyone else see any bad support bands?
macdonald
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Thu Apr 16, 2009 7:33 am

macdonald wrote:I saw a band called Byzantium supporting The Faces at the Greens in 72. They were truly awful. Saw a couple of good supports. Brinsley Schwarz with Wings in 73. Quiver with The Who in 71. Saw the Persuasions supporting Lou Reed in 73. They were excellent but the audience hadn't a clue what to make of them.

theplumber wrote:Any fans of Be Bop Deluxe remember John Cooper Clarke leaving the stage after a barrage of abuse from the Glasgow Apollo audience after about10 minutes? He supported the band in 1977 or maybe 78........anyone else see any bad support bands?

As Byzantium were on A&M and The Faces on Warner I presume the bought a place on the tour a common practice in those days and one i assume that lives on. A prog rock band supporting the Rock'n'Roll, R&B based Faces does not appear to be a match made in heaven. Other bands got on tours if they shared the same management or agent.

I don't know the connection between The Persuasions and Lou Reed but as an acapella group they did not require the use of the back line and the roadies would have only had to shift mics and monitors on stage. Similar reasons for putting comedians, poets and singer songwriters on as support. The Persuasions went down OK as a good chunk of the crowd would have been aware of soul harmony groups. One clown did make a racist remark about the band but was quickly thumped by someone in the same row. Lou Reed was drunk and spent a good part of his set falling down, singing from the stage floor and thumping mics. His band however were superb. I'm sure Steve Hunter and Dick Wagner had faced tougher crowds than the sit down mob at the Apollo with previous band Alice Cooper but they were much appreciated. They can be heard on Lou Reed's Rock'n'Roll Animal album
"I before E, except after C" works in most cases but there are exceptions.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby macdonald » Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:10 am

The album Lou Reed Live (released in 75) also features the same band. It would do as it is the same concert as 'Rock'n'Roll Animal' from Howard Stein'sAcademy of Music in Dec 73, about three months after the Apollo gig.
macdonald
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby well skelpt coupon » Thu Apr 16, 2009 9:41 am

Howdy,

I'm not much of a Lou Reed or VU fan, but Rock'nRoll Animal is brilliant. A great version of Sweet Jane, with a vaguely prog intro, and a stunning version of Heroin.

As for the worst support bands - special mention must go to a local outfit who played the Kelvingrove Rock Festival years and years ago. I can't remember what they were called but after playing their opening number the singer cried out, in falsetto American, "Hi you guys, we're called ????? and we're from Ayur-shyar."

Cue much laughter, abuse and Strongbow bottles heading stageward.

Regards
well skelpt coupon
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby MadMac » Sun Apr 26, 2009 9:44 pm

Wasn't there an early 70's Neil Young gig where he was, shall we say, in a "tired and emotional state" and had to be bailed out by the support band (Eagles)?
MadMac
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Mon Apr 27, 2009 7:36 am

MadMac wrote:Wasn't there an early 70's Neil Young gig where he was, shall we say, in a "tired and emotional state" and had to be bailed out by the support band (Eagles)?

Neil Young was touring his new album Tonight's the Night which was built round the depths of Neil's pain over the heroin overdose deaths of Crazy Horse's Danny Whitten and roadie Bruce Berry. He also refused to play any of his more well known songs. Legend has it when he was asked to play "something we know" he played Tonight's the Night the number he opened with. The Apollo site has a set list which shows he did play Helpless, Flying on the ground is wrong and Cowgirl in the sand but not Heart of Gold. Compare his 1976 set list with the one above.

Reviews of his gigs in Canada had filtered through and knowledgeable fans were given a glimpse of what to expect. The Eagles had recorded their second album Desperado but were yet to headline any tours. They took their chances and and a lot more Eagles fans left the Apollo that night than had come in. Certainly The Eagles made the night for a lot of people who had come in early to see the support act but Neil Young himself was beyond saving when he followed them on stage.
He admitted he was drunk on that tour but it was his choice of songs which did for him. He spent 1974 touring with CSNY.
"I before E, except after C" works in most cases but there are exceptions.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Previous

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects