Hunter street

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Hunter street

Postby mr moto » Sat Jan 24, 2009 2:56 pm

I have been working in the Gallowgate area for the past few month,s and during my lunch hour, i have been having a wander with my camera , i have walked down this street many times but the other day i noticed this large carving/artwork on the front of one of the tenement,s on this street, that i just had never noticed before . it feature,s a range of images that you might associate with bread making , sheaf,s of wheat , a flour sack ? and various farming tool,s . so was there ever a bakery based on this street , or a wheat merchant,s warehouse . it is as you can see a very large carving/artwork , so i can only imagine that there must have been a pretty big business based there at some time in the past .
i did a search on Hunter street and found no mention of this carving .
mr moto
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re: Hunter street

Postby viceroy » Sat Jan 24, 2009 6:00 pm

From "The Buildings of Scotland : Glasgow" -

"Further W, just into HUNTER STREET, a fine red sandstone ashlar tenement (nos. 202-04) by Monro & Son, 1903. The fine trophy of agricultural implements refers to the potato and seed merchants' warehouse to which it was originally attached."

That's the answer to your question, I think.
viceroy
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby mr moto » Sat Jan 24, 2009 10:46 pm

viceroy wrote:From "The Buildings of Scotland : Glasgow" -

"Further W, just into HUNTER STREET, a fine red sandstone ashlar tenement (nos. 202-04) by Monro & Son, 1903. The fine trophy of agricultural implements refers to the potato and seed merchants' warehouse to which it was originally attached."

That's the answer to your question, I think.

Thank,s viceroy ... :) :) i knew that someone on this site would have the answer ...
mr moto
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby scotty » Sat Jan 24, 2009 11:15 pm

Nice pics!

I see that Jas D Galloway sign every day on my travels to work from the train. (Good one for the 'signs' post too!) The North Clyde line to be exact.

Just out of interest does anyone know what that big piece of waste ground used to be between the sign and the railway? I noticed that theres an ond building still standing, you can't see it very well from maps.live.com but it looks like an old signal box.

Also just at that part there looks to be an old line which branches off and goes into a tunnel under the current line. Had a look at the tunnel post and can't work out if its on the map or not.

Cheers
Scott
Scott
scotty
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby vinny » Sun Jan 25, 2009 3:51 pm

That could be the old line down from High St to Bridgeton Central - wouldn't evidence of the old Gallowgate Central station on this line be around the vicinty as well?
vinny
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby Anorak » Sun Jan 25, 2009 11:48 pm

Don’t know this part of the planet very well but still did a nosey with the old maps.

The 1912 map shows all the stations on this part of the Gallowgate.

The 1890’s maps show more close-up details.

Might help you guys work out where is what?
Anorak
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby mr moto » Mon Jan 26, 2009 5:31 pm

scotty wrote:Nice pics!

I see that Jas D Galloway sign every day on my travels to work from the train. (Good one for the 'signs' post too!) The North Clyde line to be exact.

Just out of interest does anyone know what that big piece of waste ground used to be between the sign and the railway? I noticed that theres an ond building still standing, you can't see it very well from maps.live.com but it looks like an old signal box.

Also just at that part there looks to be an old line which branches off and goes into a tunnel under the current line. Had a look at the tunnel post and can't work out if its on the map or not.

Cheers
Scott

Yes it,s an old signal box , or what remains of one , here is a pic . and Anorak thank,s for those map,s . it makes it much easier to understand the layout of the area .
mr moto
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby scotty » Tue Jan 27, 2009 10:49 pm

Another good pic, still not bad condition as the basic structure is all still there. Funny that even neds of a bygone age still like to torch stuff.

Always amazes me how detailed some of these old maps are, to the point it lists the buildings and what their purpose actually was! Where did you find the old maps Anorak, are they online?
Scott
scotty
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby rotten milk » Mon Feb 09, 2009 12:31 am

national library of scotland:

http://www.nls.uk/maps/towns/index.html#glasgow

the first is the 1912 bartholomew, the second the 1892-4 ordnance survey

i've looked at lot at these maps trying to figure out the old glagow suburban lines and noticed that eventually the empty bit called 'the butts' was built on by industry of some sorts which was big enough to gain a rail connection of its own:

http://maps.live.com/default.aspx?v=2&F ... &encType=1

the (lifted)line seems to come off near sydney street, curve under barrack st. into the blank area. anyone know what was here?

sorry for going OT!
hey, d'ye think it's ootside yir in?
rotten milk
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby BenCooper » Mon Feb 09, 2009 12:42 pm

The rail sidings on The Butts were a minerals yard - this is what they look like now:

If you're going there, be careful - the air shafts down to the Bridgeton branch line are partly covered over and treacherous. The sidings connected to the main line via a bridge under Barrack Street:

The Bridgeton Central branch line is the one that heads south-east down to Bridgeton Cross - it's a series of tunnels and open cuttings. The open land behind the old Great Eastern Hotel is the North British Railways College Goods Yard - the goods shed wall is still standing further along Duke Street. Right behind the hotel was a roller-skating rink! Also in this area is the Molendinar Burn, which goes under the goods yard on it's way down to the Clyde.
www.transientplaces.co.uk
BenCooper
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby HollowHorn » Sun Nov 20, 2011 8:38 pm

August 2011.
HollowHorn
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby yoker brian » Sun Nov 20, 2011 9:29 pm

Excellent - Dr Who sure beats Paddington Bear on Hyndland Road!

There was also another similarly attired teddy bear in the window of the first house on Southbrae Drive facing the lights at Crow Road (heading to Anniesland) don't know if either bears are still living in the westend

Just answered myself - Google streetview shows both bears are still at the aforementioned windows
Milk Sucks, Got Beer?
yoker brian
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Doorstop » Tue Nov 22, 2011 9:54 am

There's a Stig on Dumbarton Road near Scotstoun. *nods*
I like him ... He says "Okie Dokie!"
Doorstop
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby banjo » Tue Nov 22, 2011 10:02 am

theres a billy connolly in my hoose.
banjo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Sandstone / stone Carving and Emblems

Postby Jockissimo » Thu Dec 01, 2011 11:28 am

Thanks for sharing the very well preserved carving. Pity about the white pointing , but otherwise superb.

Carving / "embellesments!" ect would be worth a project or photo-thread in it's own right as some will disappear with the buildings while others will one day errode away :-(

I used to visit a couple of city centre offices around St Vincent and Bath St with amazing views out over all the hidden roof top and window list details, hidden from most of us scuttling about below.

I see there is a 'Greek' Thomson project which will probably will have loads of such like. Shall take a butchers in that thread.
Jockissimo
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Next

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects