Ordnance survey

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Ordnance survey

Postby Ellis Island » Sat Oct 11, 2003 9:13 pm

I've been pouring over an OS map and ringing features that are curious or just plain obvious. There are numerous dismantled railway lines and these can be followed until they disappear under new schemes or sometimes, just if you're lucky- they become tunnels. Many of them.
Also, there are stranger ones, a series of 'air vents', three in a line off Robroyston Rd. There are no other 'mine' related features nearby and not a great deal of buildings- almost in fields. I'm curious and will pay a visit real soon. Could just be cold war observation posts but theres three, stretching the equivalent length of the line that goes under 'Stazione' on Gt Western Rd.
I never understood what 'No Entry' meant.
Ellis Island
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby AliM » Mon Oct 13, 2003 9:03 pm

I think the air shafts you refer to lie between the Gadloch and the south of Hayston/ Kirkintilloch. If it is these shafts then they are part of a tunnel dug in the 17th century (I think I've got the date correct) to drain the land around the Gadloch for farming. This tunnel carries the Park Burn which eventually discharges into the River Kelvin to the west of Kirkintilloch.
AliM
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby Ellis Island » Mon Oct 13, 2003 10:53 pm

Bummer. Still, it could be a nice big tunnel. Thanks for that though- this is exactly why i needed this forum.
Ellis Island
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby caine » Tue Oct 14, 2003 11:41 am

there an old quarry with long tunnels leading off it up at mugdock country park. up on the hill side theres 3 large air vents for the mines below if your interested. :D tunnel-tastic!
caine
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Pgcc93 » Tue Oct 14, 2003 2:00 pm

caine wrote:there an old quarry with long tunnels leading off it up at mugdock country park. up on the hill side theres 3 large air vents for the mines below if your interested. :D tunnel-tastic!

I think the air vents you refer to are not mine shafts as such. There for the water course that feeds Mugdock resevoir from Loch Katrine. Is it the ones with the ornate iron domes on top? They were also used to bring out all the tunneling spoil whislt under construction, at it's deepest one of them is over 500 feet deep!. Hope this is of help.
Pgcc
Pgcc93
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby caine » Tue Oct 14, 2003 3:07 pm

yeah, they're the ones. :D so many informed people on this site, its great!
caine
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Ellis Island » Wed Oct 15, 2003 8:55 am

Mugdock- that's up nr Lennoxtown?
If anyone's up there you oughta take a peek at Lennox castle if you've not already. I tried to get an OS map for this region but Borders were out of stock. I'll check those tunnels out.
Never too much too explore. :D :D :D
Ellis Island
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby Ellis Island » Wed Oct 15, 2003 10:42 pm

Of the 26 miles which lie between Loch Katrine and the Mugdock reservoir, 13 miles are tunneling, 3 3/4 miles are iron-piping, and the remainder, where the ground has been cut open, is an arched aqueduct. There are in the whole work, 70 distinct tunnels, upon which 44 vertical shafts were sunk for facilitating and expediting the completing of the scheme. In addition to the tunnel at the commencement of the aqueduct at Loch Katrine, and the one at its termination, there are at intermediate places, others of 700, 800, 1,100, and 1,400 yards in length.

Found this on electric scotland. sounds like a death trap.
Ellis Island
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

bunker

Postby simply_ross » Tue Oct 21, 2003 12:29 am

East Kilbride (Calderglen) shhd Western Zone Control wartime government bunker

Yes i have seen the rusted old open door in calder glen about 4 years and the vents leading thinking to myself a screwdriver would be nice right now??? so it is not a command bunker for civil servants now cool time to explore.
simply_ross
Just settling in
Just settling in

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects