Disused Lanarkshire Rail Lines?

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Disused Lanarkshire Rail Lines?

Postby KonstantinL » Fri Jun 11, 2004 12:30 pm

I was brought up on the outskirts of Newarthill and when I was a kid my little gang and I used to go 'exploring' in the fields and woods between Newarthill/Bellside/Cleland/Carfin and beyond.

Now this 20 years ago (early to mid eighties) and my memory of it is vague but I'm pretty sure there an overgrown and abandoned railway line in the area (i think just beyond Cleland) it had reasonably steep embankments at either side (then wooded) but the sleepers and rails were still there (at least in parts but was overgrown and obviously hadn't been used for a while).

I also seem to remember a large tunnel there although it's possible I'm getting it mixed up with the still-in-use tunnel between Carfin and Cleland on the Glasgow - Edinburgh line.

I also remember a ruined building with a large iron tank or boiler. Could this have been used to 'water' steam trains?

Anyone know about abandoned or 'lost' rail lines in this area? I know the area was pitted with coal mines and perhaps the rail lines I 'remember' are to do with these. I'd appreciate any information to confirm I'm not imagining it and it really was there!
KonstantinL
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby james73 » Fri Jun 11, 2004 12:53 pm

He's over there...
james73
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby KonstantinL » Fri Jun 11, 2004 1:08 pm

Thanks James.

From what I remember the disused rail line was to the south of Cleland (ie the opposite side of the village from the current Edinburgh - Glasgow line) but ran in roughly the same direction (south west - north east).

The link you posted mentions the current Cleland station was called Omoa until Old Cleland station closed. I'd like to find out where the Old Cleland station was. Was it anything to do with my bit of rail?
KonstantinL
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects