Your Top 5 Lost Architectural Gems

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Your Top 5 Lost Architectural Gems

Postby belaqua » Thu Nov 27, 2008 9:18 am

Hi everyone,

I've been reading these forums with fascination since I discovered the site a few weeks ago. You've taught me so much! I've decided to work on an article for the Glasgow Uni newspaper about the city's lost architectural heritage. I'm not originally from Glasgow, and until I started researching the city's history had no idea how much had been lost. I'd bet that many other students, natives and non-natives, are in a similar position.

There's a million angles I could take: a focus on the redevlopment mania of the mid-20th century and the Bruce Report, or a particular architect, e.g. Thompson, but since most readers will be coming to this with no particular specific interest in architecture or Glasgow's history I want to make it a broad-ish article.

So: I've decided to take 5 of Glasgow's greatest now-lost architectural gems and tell their story. It's hard to choose, but I only have so many words.

This could be single buildings, or terraces, or even squares: units of architectural homogenity that have vanished, for whatever reason. (...If the article just happened to flag up the Cooporation/Council's frequently disgusting attitude towards Glasgow's architectural heritage, that might not be a bad thing.)

I have some ideas of my own (The Grand Hotel? Queen's Park Terrace?) but I'd love to read what your top 5 would be; many of you are undoubtedly far better informed than I am!

Thanks in advance for any contributions.
belaqua
Just settling in
Just settling in

Re: Your Top 5 Lost Architectural Gems

Postby red_kola » Thu Nov 27, 2008 9:34 am

Destroy All Monsters
red_kola
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby belaqua » Thu Nov 27, 2008 10:33 am

Thanks for both those links.

I did attempt a search (I know there must be a lot of relevant info already in the forums) but it's difficult to know what to search for exactly, and the search feature can be a little idiosyncratic at times...
belaqua
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby red_kola » Thu Nov 27, 2008 10:56 am

It certainly is :D .

Just a thought: If you're doing this for the GU Guardian you could perhaps mention the widespread destruction of some of the finer bits of Hillhead to accommodate architectural beauties such as the Body Orr and Adam Smith buildings...

There's a bit of info here:
http://www.hiddenglasgow.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=641
Destroy All Monsters
red_kola
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby belaqua » Thu Nov 27, 2008 5:24 pm

I have certainly considered that. It's of such relevance to GU students that I feel that it's worthy of its own article. My fast-developing obsession with vanished Glasgow is going to require more than one article to accomodate it! Thanks again for the link to the relevant thread.
belaqua
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby Schiehallion » Thu Nov 27, 2008 6:32 pm

Queens Park UP Church at the top of Langside Road near to the Queens Park.

Just click on the wee B&W photo to see it in all it's beauty.

http://www.greekthomson.com/Queens%20Park%20Church.htm

You could pick buildings each lost for a different reason eg neglect, fire, redevelopment, M8 building etc.

This church would come into the category 'bombed by the Luftwaffe'!
Schiehallion
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby belaqua » Thu Nov 27, 2008 7:01 pm

Thanks Schiehallion,
I was considering either this or the Caledonia Road Church (and its tenements), which I know hasn't gone completely but is gone in almost every other way. The QP church is a genuinely vanished building, but the Cally Road church makes such a mournful figure among the wasteland and towerblocks that it seems to symbolise everything I'd be trying to get across in the article. I worry for the future of the St Vincent church, for that matter! But let's hope it doesn't have to appear on any 'lost buildings' lists any time soon.
belaqua
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby mr moto » Thu Nov 27, 2008 7:17 pm

I would nominate the old christian institute/ymca building seen here . http://www.theglasgowstory.com/image.php?inum=TGSA00596
mr moto
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby galoot » Thu Nov 27, 2008 8:10 pm

http://misanthropesforjesus.blogspot.com
galoot
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby belaqua » Thu Nov 27, 2008 8:14 pm

It's amazing, the way these exhibition structures were built to stand only for a few years. I suppose the Milennium Dome is a modern example of such thinking, but it just seems madness... to go to all that effort knowing that in a little while you'll dismantle the structure seems frustrating, to say the least.
belaqua
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby Schiehallion » Thu Nov 27, 2008 10:12 pm

Another old building I've always had a soft spot for is the UCBS (United Co-operative Baking Society) Bakery on Adelphi Street, Gorbals.

RCAHMS have a few good photos of its' demolition too.

Schiehallion
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects