The Peter Manuel case.

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: The Peter Manuel case.

Postby War Baby » Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:33 am

I have fond memories of the old Mount Vernon Avenue, having been born and brought up there. One of the crime books about Peter Manuel has a photo of the Isabel Cook "grave" with part of the Mount Vernon countryside in the background. Can anyone tell me the name of the book that has that photo in it? I would very much like to buy that book, just to have that photo. I remember it described (below the photo) the area as being "bleak". I thought it was a great place for exploring, and will never forget it.
War Baby
Second Stripe
Second Stripe
 
Posts: 156
Joined: Mon May 21, 2012 7:26 am
Location: East End

Re: The Peter Manuel case.

Postby scotsjohn45 » Sat Feb 15, 2014 8:12 pm

Raised in 2nd Street Birkenshaw and even now still see the effect of Manuel on society on this forum, but the nightmare might never have happened but for the stupidity and vanity of one woman, my mother.
In the summer of 1950, my mother took my older sister and myself for a walk in the countryside near Birkenshaw and on that walk, she was attacked by Peter Manuel. The bravery of my seven year old sister saved us all probably; she was carrying a little toy spade and as Manuel wrestled on the ground with my mother, she struck him as hard as she could on the head with the spade several times. He got up and ran away bleeding heavily.
Police were called and as they had a pretty good idea of who their man might be, Manuel was placed in an identity parade, complete with gashed head and my mother failed to identify him. My father later told me that she was too busy acting the victim and spent her time crying and howling like a wounded animal.
Years later, when Manuel's reign of terror was over, she saw no fault in her behaviour and actually blamed the police for not pointing Manuel out to her. Vanity has it's price.
Oddly enough, my sister was also very friendly with the daughter of Inspector Muncie who would later bring Manuel to heel. For me the memory of the event is still as sharp as the day it happened but it was only much later in life that the enormity of my mother's failing became apparent
scotsjohn45
Just settling in
Just settling in
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Fri Feb 14, 2014 6:43 pm

Re: The Peter Manuel case.

Postby moonbeam » Sat Feb 15, 2014 10:59 pm

My aunt and uncle lived in Kylepark Avenue. They woke one morning to find police all other their back garden. They got quite a fright as they knew the family. They seemed to think Peter Manual had gone round offering to do gardening work in the previous weeks in the area. But my uncle thought it was just him or a man like him "casing the joint". My uncle was called as a witness but in the end was not required to give his very small amount of evidence. My aunt bought a new hat to go to the High Court, as she thought my uncle would be called to give evidence. She got teased for years afterwards at family gatherings over it! It was quite a hat!
moonbeam
Third Stripe
Third Stripe
 
Posts: 449
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:32 am

Re: The Peter Manuel case.

Postby Icecube » Sun Feb 16, 2014 1:44 pm

War Baby this is it.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Crime-Pond-Will ... 0550203532

Needless to say he doesn't admit to the utter incompetence of Lanarkshire CID in the investigation.
Icecube
Second Stripe
Second Stripe
 
Posts: 369
Joined: Sun Jun 21, 2009 1:22 pm

Re: The Peter Manuel case.

Postby War Baby » Mon Feb 17, 2014 2:54 pm

Icecube,
Is the photo taken at the scene of one of Manuel's murders, with a group of police there? If it is that one, then I will buy it right away!
War Baby
Second Stripe
Second Stripe
 
Posts: 156
Joined: Mon May 21, 2012 7:26 am
Location: East End

Re: The Peter Manuel case.

Postby Icecube » Mon Feb 17, 2014 5:11 pm

War Baby wrote:Icecube,
Is the photo taken at the scene of one of Manuel's murders, with a group of police there? If it is that one, then I will buy it right away!


Am sure it is though its about ten years since I read it. There are a few local aerial photos of places in it that you will surely recognise.
Icecube
Second Stripe
Second Stripe
 
Posts: 369
Joined: Sun Jun 21, 2009 1:22 pm

Re: The Peter Manuel case.

Postby ninatoo » Mon Feb 17, 2014 7:58 pm

scotsjohn45 wrote: "...the nightmare might never have happened but for the stupidity and vanity of one woman, my mother."

"... Manuel was placed in an identity parade, complete with gashed head and my mother failed to identify him. My father later told me that she was too busy acting the victim and spent her time crying and howling like a wounded animal.
Years later, when Manuel's reign of terror was over, she saw no fault in her behaviour and actually blamed the police for not pointing Manuel out to her. Vanity has it's price."


The total lack of sympathy you and your father had/have for your mother, having been attacked by this animal, astounds me. How about giving her the benefit of the doubt for maybe having PSTD instead of writing it off as 'vanity'? The woman was very likely in shock at the time, traumatised and likely to have been injured herself, so it's probably no wonder she could not identify him. No I do not know your mother, but I do know these events can and very often DO have life-long effects on people. If my son spoke about me following such an attack the way you speak of your mother, I would hang my head in shame.
User avatar
ninatoo
Second Stripe
Second Stripe
 
Posts: 231
Joined: Mon Mar 06, 2006 5:36 am
Location: Australia

Re: The Peter Manuel case.

Postby War Baby » Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:23 pm

Icecube,
Thanks a million. I have just ordered the book.
War Baby
Second Stripe
Second Stripe
 
Posts: 156
Joined: Mon May 21, 2012 7:26 am
Location: East End

Re: The Peter Manuel case.

Postby Doug » Tue Feb 18, 2014 1:35 pm

ninatoo wrote:
scotsjohn45 wrote: "...the nightmare might never have happened but for the stupidity and vanity of one woman, my mother."

"... Manuel was placed in an identity parade, complete with gashed head and my mother failed to identify him. My father later told me that she was too busy acting the victim and spent her time crying and howling like a wounded animal.
Years later, when Manuel's reign of terror was over, she saw no fault in her behaviour and actually blamed the police for not pointing Manuel out to her. Vanity has it's price."


The total lack of sympathy you and your father had/have for your mother, having been attacked by this animal, astounds me. How about giving her the benefit of the doubt for maybe having PSTD instead of writing it off as 'vanity'? The woman was very likely in shock at the time, traumatised and likely to have been injured herself, so it's probably no wonder she could not identify him. No I do not know your mother, but I do know these events can and very often DO have life-long effects on people. If my son spoke about me following such an attack the way you speak of your mother, I would hang my head in shame.


Well said. How can anyone possibly have known what this poor woman was thinking or feeling at such a traumatic time.
Ahm entitled to my opinion as well
Doug
Second Stripe
Second Stripe
 
Posts: 162
Joined: Fri Jul 06, 2012 8:25 am
Location: Inverness

Re: The Peter Manuel case.

Postby scotsjohn45 » Tue Feb 18, 2014 5:11 pm

I can well understand your consternation and indeed disgust at what I have posted, but what was posted comes after many years of consideration of my mother's life. The people who loved her who she despised and didn't hesitate to betray, those whose lives she tried to ruin essentially for entertainment purposes, her un-diluted bigotry, the decent neighbours whose names she blackened. Her totally selfish lifestyle. If anyone said or did anything which might give her the slightest offence, she would scream and cry like a wounded animal. She was totally manipulative of those closest to her. Nowadays she would automatically be diagnosed as having Asperger's syndrome. She would have clawed you eyes out if you said so.
My father who was the most loving of men,had his life ruined by her, but stood by her till his own death. But essentially her character showed in her blaming the police for not pointing out her attacker to her. No blame could possibly be attached to her.
Cut it any way you want, her failure to have Peter Manuel taken to court on an attempted murder charge ultimately cost lives.
It is also worth noting that at the time of Manuel's attack on my mother, three girls in their advanced teenage years saw the attack and ran away. Their witnessing the attack and I believe a subsequent denial(this I got much later in life)didn't help either.
Don't be too quick to be a bleeding heart and try PTSD while you are at it. This post was meant to be informative, not to start a coconut shy!
scotsjohn45
Just settling in
Just settling in
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Fri Feb 14, 2014 6:43 pm

Re: The Peter Manuel case.

Postby Fat Cat » Tue Feb 18, 2014 9:20 pm

scotsjohn45 wrote:I can well understand your consternation and indeed disgust at what I have posted, but what was posted comes after many years of consideration of my mother's life. The people who loved her who she despised and didn't hesitate to betray, those whose lives she tried to ruin essentially for entertainment purposes, her un-diluted bigotry, the decent neighbours whose names she blackened. Her totally selfish lifestyle. If anyone said or did anything which might give her the slightest offence, she would scream and cry like a wounded animal. She was totally manipulative of those closest to her. Nowadays she would automatically be diagnosed as having Asperger's syndrome. She would have clawed you eyes out if you said so.
My father who was the most loving of men,had his life ruined by her, but stood by her till his own death. But essentially her character showed in her blaming the police for not pointing out her attacker to her. No blame could possibly be attached to her.
Cut it any way you want, her failure to have Peter Manuel taken to court on an attempted murder charge ultimately cost lives.
It is also worth noting that at the time of Manuel's attack on my mother, three girls in their advanced teenage years saw the attack and ran away. Their witnessing the attack and I believe a subsequent denial(this I got much later in life)didn't help either.
Don't be too quick to be a bleeding heart and try PTSD while you are at it. This post was meant to be informative, not to start a coconut shy!


More issues than Manuel going on here.
User avatar
Fat Cat
Third Stripe
Third Stripe
 
Posts: 835
Joined: Wed Feb 09, 2005 3:09 pm
Location: Glasgow

Re: The Peter Manuel case.

Postby ninatoo » Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:51 pm

I agree Fatcat, very sad, really.
User avatar
ninatoo
Second Stripe
Second Stripe
 
Posts: 231
Joined: Mon Mar 06, 2006 5:36 am
Location: Australia

Re: The Peter Manuel case.

Postby scotsjohn45 » Thu Feb 20, 2014 6:05 pm

Not as much as you might think. What was offered was a snippet of history which was told to me by my father some thirty years ago and was put to bed then. Don't say it isn't of some interest though( if you discount the need to fend off the Goody Two Shoes). Ultimately, Manuel's notoriety was guaranteed by the lottery like odds of his attempt on the life of a woman of my mother's disposition; another twist in a bitter tale.
scotsjohn45
Just settling in
Just settling in
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Fri Feb 14, 2014 6:43 pm

Re: The Peter Manuel case.

Postby purplepantman » Thu Feb 20, 2014 7:32 pm

How dare scotsjohn45 come on here and make comments about HIS memories of the Peter Manuel case.
I mean who does he think he is? Anyone else who posts candid comments about their personal memories of
the Peter Manuel case on the thread called “The Peter Manuel case” should be banned.

No more personal opinions should be allowed and no saying anything bad about your mum
(or anyone's mum for that matter). It’s just not on.


ninatoo wrote:No I do not know your mother,

Yes, that's about the only sensible thing you've said.
purplepantman
Second Stripe
Second Stripe
 
Posts: 297
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:31 pm

Re: The Peter Manuel case.

Postby Fat Cat » Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:21 pm

purplepantman wrote:How dare scotsjohn45 come on here and make comments about HIS memories of the Peter Manuel case.
I mean who does he think he is? Anyone else who posts candid comments about their personal memories of
the Peter Manuel case on the thread called “The Peter Manuel case” should be banned.

No more personal opinions should be allowed and no saying anything bad about your mum
(or anyone's mum for that matter). It’s just not on.


ninatoo wrote:No I do not know your mother,

Yes, that's about the only sensible thing you've said.


It's just a shame he couldn't confront his mum about this. Pent up anger is a destructive thing.

You can't choose your family.
You Stay Classy, San Diego
User avatar
Fat Cat
Third Stripe
Third Stripe
 
Posts: 835
Joined: Wed Feb 09, 2005 3:09 pm
Location: Glasgow

PreviousNext

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests