Lyons Factory on Craigton Road, Govan

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Lyons Factory on Craigton Road, Govan

Postby Bob » Wed Sep 24, 2008 1:43 pm

I'm just looking to discuss the old Lyons Bakery Factory on Craigton Road, Govan with someone who either remembers it or was employed within the same from the 1970's.

Does anybody remember it?
Bob
Just settling in
Just settling in

Re: Lyons Factory on Craigton Road, Govan

Postby govanboay » Thu Sep 25, 2008 9:13 am

Oh aye, I lived in Elderpark St and went to school at the Connies which was just around the corner (sort of) and the smell was amazing! I remember they had a garage in Elderpark St to service their vans and I guess they closed it at some point. But to our delight they had left an old van lying in the yard- we had great fun with that! This would've been late 70's.

paul.
govanboay
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Dugald » Sat Sep 27, 2008 2:40 pm

Bob wrote:I'm just looking to discuss the old Lyons Bakery Factory on Craigton Road, Govan with someone who either remembers it or was employed within the same from the 1970's.
Does anybody remember it?

Yes Bob, I remember the bakery factory on Craigton Rd. very well. I never worked there but I knew my way around the building both inside and on the roof! In my day it was called Galbraith's Bakery (Galbraiths was a city-wide chain of grocery shops with a very good reputation for quality and cleanliness). I attended Greenfield School and the Galbraiths building was along the south end of the school building... it stretched all the way from Craigton Rd. to Uist St. There was an entrance to the bakery behind the school on Uist St. and I recall getting chunks of raw chocolate by going into the bakery through this entrance.

It was nearly all girls who worked in the bakery and they all wore the same colour of overalls. These girls were frequently a source of entertainment, especially when one of them happened to be getting married. A great crowd of singing girls would make there way down Craigton Rd., usually on a Friday night, with the bride-to-be dressed in some ridiculous costume with much hilarity and good humour. This was always an enjoyable sight and it was shared by many Govan people. Wonder if Lyons continued this memorable custom.
Dugald
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby coddpc » Sat Mar 31, 2018 7:16 pm

I remember this well - Granny took me there in the '60's, never done gabbing to her buddies. Can't remember what she bought, but we were there three times a week. I re3member swinging on a crash barrier outside the serving hatch - had a big bend in it.
I'm taking my espresso machine for repair there in one of the new workspaces next week!
David
coddpc
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby PaulK » Sun Apr 01, 2018 1:50 am

I worked there for several weeks in the summer of '75 when I was a student, quite an eye opener for a teenager. Lots of tension between the workers and floor managers and quality control but a great deal of "banter" which these days would not be tolerated. Guys dipping their hands into liquid chocolate and them grabbing girls' bums or bosoms leaving a handprint, elaborate plans to smuggle packs of cakes and other stuff out past the security guys and some fairly disgusting (perhaps apocryphal)tales of what went into the various recipes. I had to chop up fondant (after tearing off the stuck flies and such), melt it, add colouring and flavouring, test it was the right consistency by dipping my hand in and on withdrawal see if the fondant cooled while allowing the contours and lines of my palm showed. If so we then shucked it over to the conveyor belt where it was piped onto Lemon Surprises and Raspberry Delights. I did have to wear a hairnet mind you.
PaulK
First Stripe
First Stripe

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects