Ruchill Hospital

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Ruchill Hospital (Old hospital buildings off Bilsland Drive)

Postby debbiejallan » Thu Oct 23, 2008 11:01 pm

I worked in Ruchill Hospital from 1978 until 1991 as a Technician. I enjoyed my time there and it was my first job. It made me really sad seeing those photos of it now all vandalised. It seemed to be a friendly place to work at least I found that. The main staircase up was a bit creepy though which is in one of the photos here. I still dream about going up there in the dark! I used to see rats about when I worked there and also wild rabbits. There was an escaped pet rabbit for a while living amongst the wild ones. I remember hearing that during the TB outbreak in Glasgow they used to nurse the patients outside in the verandas as they thought the fresh air would help to cure them. They were covered up with lots of blankets but the visitors had to dress up warm.
debbiejallan
Just settling in
Just settling in
 
Posts: 7
Joined: Sun Sep 21, 2008 11:01 pm

Re: Ruchill Hospital (Old hospital buildings off Bilsland Drive)

Postby dazza » Thu Oct 23, 2008 11:05 pm

debbiejallan wrote:I remember hearing that during the TB outbreak in Glasgow they used to nurse the patients outside in the verandas as they thought the fresh air would help to cure them. They were covered up with lots of blankets but the visitors had to dress up warm.


Yes, that was true of most TB Sanatoriums. The patients would be put out in the verandas all year 'round.
User avatar
dazza
-
-
 
Posts: 2019
Joined: Sun Dec 07, 2003 4:25 pm

Re: Ruchill Hospital (Old hospital buildings off Bilsland Drive)

Postby Blindpilot » Tue Nov 04, 2008 1:27 am

dazzababes wrote:
debbiejallan wrote:I remember hearing that during the TB outbreak in Glasgow they used to nurse the patients outside in the verandas as they thought the fresh air would help to cure them. They were covered up with lots of blankets but the visitors had to dress up warm.


Yes, that was true of most TB Sanatoriums. The patients would be put out in the verandas all year 'round.


Yup, open air treatment, they often left the heating off and the windows open all night inside the wards too. It did work in non-pulmonary cases.
Blindpilot
Just settling in
Just settling in
 
Posts: 9
Joined: Thu Mar 22, 2007 11:37 pm

Re: Ruchill Hospital (Old hospital buildings off Bilsland Drive)

Postby big jim » Tue Nov 04, 2008 5:13 pm

it`s sad to see ruchill hospital end up in a state

but i spent 4 weeks caged in that place as a wean when i was diagnosed with
measles and glangela fever at the same time 8O always remember the room i was in was at the end of the corridor
and used to stand on top of the bog to wave cheerio to my mum and dad as they drove down the road next to
ward i was in :( place scared the life out of me and still does was the worst hospital stay of my life listening to people
in severe pain when your only a nipper on your own and no contact apart from thru a door with a window :cry:

that hospital is my fear factor and always will be so i will be glad to see it converted to summit else but i will never buy a house up there ::): i avoid bilsland drive like the plague cos the place still sends shivers down my spine :oops:
big jim
Second Stripe
Second Stripe
 
Posts: 128
Joined: Thu Jul 24, 2008 3:52 pm

Re: Ruchill Hospital (Old hospital buildings off Bilsland Drive)

Postby toomse » Sat Mar 14, 2009 12:37 am

UNDERGROUND TUNNEL NETWORK

the number on the top line is the distance in metres between two points

Image




Image




Image




Image
User avatar
toomse
Second Stripe
Second Stripe
 
Posts: 249
Joined: Wed Nov 19, 2008 3:52 pm

Re: Ruchill Hospital (Old hospital buildings off Bilsland Dr

Postby dazza » Sat Mar 14, 2009 4:40 am

Practically all hospital have "tunnels" connecting each block. However, more generally they are just small service tunnels, and in the case of Ruchill they are particularly small:

These were revealed after a floor collapse:
Image

...and these are general basement tunnels:

Image
User avatar
dazza
-
-
 
Posts: 2019
Joined: Sun Dec 07, 2003 4:25 pm

Re: Ruchill Hospital (Old hospital buildings off Bilsland Drive)

Postby eddiemac » Sat Oct 23, 2010 11:30 am

Hi Chris..been searching for info on Ruchill..I know I was in there about 1953 (about 5/6 yrs old circa) but dont know what for!..I remember asking my dad about it about 20 yrs ago but he said he didnt remember anything about it!! and he was not senile or anything!..lately for some unknown reason I decided to find out why I was there, as my immediate family are all deceased I done some searching and that is where you turned up on google..I have found the supposed archives today on this link...http://archiveshub.ac.uk/features/tbruchill.html...for what its worth I remember being taken away in an ambulance during night..being in a cot!..given bread and jam with butter which I hated (even to this day)..playing on grass at the back I think with a wood behind and being told scare stories about what would happen if you went in!...the bizarre thing is... I dont know the exact age I was when there, what I was in for or how long..any info you have I would be pleased if you let me know..Eddie
eddiemac
Just settling in
Just settling in
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Sat Oct 23, 2010 11:03 am

Re: Ruchill Hospital (Old hospital buildings off Bilsland Drive)

Postby Bridie » Mon Oct 25, 2010 3:59 pm

Didn't know that the old Stobhill went as well?

http://www.nhsggc.org.uk/CONTENT/defaul ... llhospital

Ps What does "stobhill" mean?
Yes HH,I know
User avatar
Bridie
Third Stripe
Third Stripe
 
Posts: 2266
Joined: Thu Jun 18, 2009 11:57 pm

Re: Ruchill Hospital (Old hospital buildings off Bilsland Drive)

Postby Guacho » Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:58 pm

The old buildings aren't empty yet, but will be soon. Most of the stuff that's not in the new ACAD is going to the Royal shortly.
User avatar
Guacho
Third Stripe
Third Stripe
 
Posts: 531
Joined: Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:22 pm
Location: Scotstoun

Re: Ruchill Hospital (Old hospital buildings off Bilsland Dr

Postby Mori » Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:43 pm

Former Ruchill Hospital 520 Bilsland Drive.doc (13 pages)

APPLICATION 10/00602/DC DATE VALID 15.03.2010

SITE ADDRESS Former Ruchill Hospital 520 Bilsland Drive Glasgow G20 9JL
PROPOSAL Demolition of listed buildings.

APPLICANT Scottish Enterprise Group
50 Waterloo Street
Glasgow
G2 6HQ

AGENT Colliers CRE
39 George Street

EDINBURGH
EH2 2HN
WARD NO(S) 16, Canal COMMUNITY COUNCIL
02_024, Ruchill

CONSERVATION AREA LISTED A

ADVERT TYPE Affecting a Conservation

Area/Listed Building
PUBLISHED 2 April 2010
CITY PLAN Residential

SITE AND DESCRIPTION
The application site is bounded on the southern boundary by Panmure Street and across Panmure Street by
new-build housing, on the eastern boundary by a nursing home and new-build housing, and on the northern
boundary by Ruchill Street. The application is bounded on the western boundary by Ruchill Park, and on the
south western boundary by the site for the new Ruchill Primary School Campus (under construction). It is
intended to service the school by a new vehicular access from Bilsland Drive. This vehicular access (application
reference 08/00626/DC) runs through the application site, but does not directly affect the listed buildings.
There are 12 listed buildings remaining on the Ruchill Hospital site, as well as one other listed structure, i.e. the
original external staircase running north to south from the gateway to the site of the former Enquiry Block
(building 4). There is also one remaining unlisted building on the site; the former laundry building to the south of
the stables block.
The hospital opened in June 1900. It was designed by A B MacDonald, City Engineer, in Flemish Renaissance
style with Jacobean details. The site extends to around 38 acres. The WYG Engineering Ltd Visual Inspections
Report dated June 2009 assigned each building with an identification number as follows:

1, 2 Gatehouses C(s) Listed
3 Mortuary ‘B’ Listed
5 Admin ‘B’ Listed
6 Nurses Home ‘B’ Listed
7, 8, 9, 10 Ward Pavilions C(s) Listed
11 Kitchen (part) ‘B’ Listed
12 Water Tower ‘A’ Listed
13 Stables ‘B’ Listed

A building warrant (reference 10/00391/BW) was granted in March 2010 for the demolition of the unlisted
laundry building, and it is understood that this building will now be demolished in the very near future.
This application has been submitted by Colliers CRE on behalf of Scottish Enterprise. The application is for
demolition of the remaining listed buildings within the former Ruchill Hospital site (which closed in 1999), with
the exception of the A-listed water tower building.
The application is supported by a ‘Heritage Statement’ dated January 2010 which presents a case for the
demolition of the listed buildings with reference to the Scottish Historic Environmental Policy (SHEP). Also
submitted in support of the application is a Report of Visual Inspections of the listed buildings and a Technical
Appraisal Report setting out repair and refurbishment costs for the listed buildings. Both of these reports were
produced out by WYG Engineering Ltd, and are dated June 2009.
Following discussions between the applicants and officers in DRS, further information has been submitted in
support of the application including:
Letter and 4 additional development appraisals dated 20 May 2010
Email dated 28 July 2010 providing additional information on the marketing and valuation of the site.
Letter dated 21 July 2001 providing comment and clarification on the residual value appraisal
methodology.
Emails dated 19 October 2010 and 25 October 2010 providing additional clarification.
Letter dated 21 October 2010 with accompanying ground conditions reports which informed the
abnormal cost calculations.[*]
User avatar
Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe
 
Posts: 3436
Joined: Wed May 04, 2005 1:05 pm
Location: Glasgow

Re: Ruchill Hospital (Old hospital buildings off Bilsland Dr

Postby dazza » Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:12 pm

Public inquiry to hear hospital demolition case


http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/news/public-inquiry-to-hear-hospital

The meeting has been cancelled as objections to demolition have been withdrawn.
It would appear Scottish Enterprise have finally got their wish, and the scant few remaining listed buildings, which they promised to maintain and incorporate into any redevelopment, will finally be demolished.
User avatar
dazza
-
-
 
Posts: 2019
Joined: Sun Dec 07, 2003 4:25 pm

Re: Ruchill Hospital (Old hospital buildings off Bilsland Dr

Postby kirstymaclaren » Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:20 pm

kirstymaclaren
Second Stripe
Second Stripe
 
Posts: 119
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:42 pm

Re: Ruchill Hospital (Old hospital buildings off Bilsland Dr

Postby the researcher » Thu Apr 19, 2012 7:23 pm

eddiemac wrote:Hi Chris..been searching for info on Ruchill..I know I was in there about 1953 (about 5/6 yrs old circa) but dont know what for!..I remember asking my dad about it about 20 yrs ago but he said he didnt remember anything about it!! and he was not senile or anything!..lately for some unknown reason I decided to find out why I was there, as my immediate family are all deceased I done some searching and that is where you turned up on google..I have found the supposed archives today on this link...http://archiveshub.ac.uk/features/tbruchill.html...for what its worth I remember being taken away in an ambulance during night..being in a cot!..given bread and jam with butter which I hated (even to this day)..playing on grass at the back I think with a wood behind and being told scare stories about what would happen if you went in!...the bizarre thing is... I dont know the exact age I was when there, what I was in for or how long..any info you have I would be pleased if you let me know..Eddie

just a suggestion but would your doctor not be able to tell you as it would possibly still be on your medical records and as the records are about you he is obliged to answer your question ie what was i in ruchill hospital for when i was about 5 or 6 years old
THE FLYING SCOT MADE BY RATTRAYS IN GLASGOW THE BEST BICYCLE EVER MADE
the researcher
Second Stripe
Second Stripe
 
Posts: 349
Joined: Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:56 am
Location: fife

Re: Ruchill Hospital (Old hospital buildings off Bilsland Dr

Postby RDR » Fri Apr 20, 2012 6:36 pm

the researcher wrote:
eddiemac wrote:Hi Chris..been searching for info on Ruchill..I know I was in there about 1953 (about 5/6 yrs old circa) but dont know what for!..I remember asking my dad about it about 20 yrs ago but he said he didnt remember anything about it!! and he was not senile or anything!..lately for some unknown reason I decided to find out why I was there, as my immediate family are all deceased I done some searching and that is where you turned up on google..I have found the supposed archives today on this link...http://archiveshub.ac.uk/features/tbruchill.html...for what its worth I remember being taken away in an ambulance during night..being in a cot!..given bread and jam with butter which I hated (even to this day)..playing on grass at the back I think with a wood behind and being told scare stories about what would happen if you went in!...the bizarre thing is... I dont know the exact age I was when there, what I was in for or how long..any info you have I would be pleased if you let me know..Eddie

just a suggestion but would your doctor not be able to tell you as it would possibly still be on your medical records and as the records are about you he is obliged to answer your question ie what was i in ruchill hospital for when i was about 5 or 6 years old


The GP is not obligied to tell you anything, you can request your notes but he doesn't have to let you see them (though he would have to give you a reason why) and he could charge you for the privilige.

If he had changed GPs at anytime it also doesn't follow that your original notes will be there.
He advocated for the weak against the strong, the poor against the rich and labour against capital.
RDR
Third Stripe
Third Stripe
 
Posts: 1606
Joined: Fri Apr 02, 2010 9:58 pm
Location: Lanarkshire

Re: Ruchill Hospital (Old hospital buildings off Bilsland Dr

Postby Guacho » Fri Apr 20, 2012 9:20 pm

RDR wrote:
the researcher wrote:
eddiemac wrote:Hi Chris..been searching for info on Ruchill..I know I was in there about 1953 (about 5/6 yrs old circa) but dont know what for!..I remember asking my dad about it about 20 yrs ago but he said he didnt remember anything about it!! and he was not senile or anything!..lately for some unknown reason I decided to find out why I was there, as my immediate family are all deceased I done some searching and that is where you turned up on google..I have found the supposed archives today on this link...http://archiveshub.ac.uk/features/tbruchill.html...for what its worth I remember being taken away in an ambulance during night..being in a cot!..given bread and jam with butter which I hated (even to this day)..playing on grass at the back I think with a wood behind and being told scare stories about what would happen if you went in!...the bizarre thing is... I dont know the exact age I was when there, what I was in for or how long..any info you have I would be pleased if you let me know..Eddie

just a suggestion but would your doctor not be able to tell you as it would possibly still be on your medical records and as the records are about you he is obliged to answer your question ie what was i in ruchill hospital for when i was about 5 or 6 years old


The GP is not obligied to tell you anything, you can request your notes but he doesn't have to let you see them (though he would have to give you a reason why) and he could charge you for the privilige.

If he had changed GPs at anytime it also doesn't follow that your original notes will be there.


I think Researcher's suggestion make sense- it's not unreasonable to know your past medical history, you don't have to see your notes for this, your GP can tell you. There is unlikely to be very much about where you were treated in the hospital letter in your GP record.
Hopefully not being treated for inability to punctuate though ::):
User avatar
Guacho
Third Stripe
Third Stripe
 
Posts: 531
Joined: Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:22 pm
Location: Scotstoun

PreviousNext

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 16 guests