Manufacturer's plates and stanks seen in Glasgow

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Manufacturer's plates and stanks seen in Glasgow

Postby banjo » Thu Feb 10, 2011 8:35 pm

good one cell,i recall the manlove tullis in clydebank but did not know they still had a place there.
banjo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby the researcher » Thu Feb 10, 2011 8:40 pm

My Kitten wrote:
Socceroo wrote:shaped scoop which was used for cleaning out theTraps.

mind boggles at thinking what the shit scoop looks like

possibly there was a metal bin in there with a handle on it for pulling it out and emptying it perhaps?
as regards drain cleaning this was done by roadsweepers every day until gully cleaners were bought by councils.
THE FLYING SCOT MADE BY RATTRAYS IN GLASGOW THE BEST BICYCLE EVER MADE
the researcher
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby cell » Sun Mar 06, 2011 2:09 pm

Here are a couple of plates from James Ritchie who had their Glenavon works in Partick, on Sawmill Rd, off the roundabout on Dumbarton Rd. The company originally made marine equipment including engines, hoists, cranes etc, also laundry machinery and judging by one of these plates, electric motors. I’m not sure when the company ceased to exist, but their works is now a grassed over gap site.
cell
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby MungoDundas » Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:23 am

Not in Glasgow or even Weegie provenance,
but I'll post weak snaps anyhow, just because.

On a back road (goat track) from nr. Dunblane
to Kilbryde, a bridge over a disused railway line
plated: "Somervail & Coy. Dalmuir".

General View

Specific

Separately, again not particularly Glaswegian - but curious nonetheless;

A plate on a refurbished motor-generator set heading from Finnieston to Coatbridge

Specific

General View

Apologies.
MungoDundas
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby cell » Mon Mar 07, 2011 4:19 pm

Nice one Mungo, Somervail is a new one for me, I've never seen their plates before, but there are a few other references on the web. As an aside it looks like it's been cracked due to "rust jacking" which just shows what unexpected damage corrosion can do.

I like that "suicide shunt" reference, I guess it is self limiting and burns itself out if overloaded or spun in reverse to protect the rest of the machinery.
cell
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby cell » Fri Mar 18, 2011 3:23 pm

Alley & MacLellan
In 1875 Alley & MacLellan was founded by Stephen Alley and John A MacLellan in Bridgeton, Glasgow, Scotland. Originally the firm produced valves, later also manufacturing air compressors, steam steering gear and prefabricated light draught steamers and barges. The business was incorporated as a limited liability company in 1903 as Alley & MacLellan Ltd and operated out of the Sentinel Works, Polmadie, Glasgow. Its steam wagon business moved to Shrewsbury, Shropshire, England, later to become Sentinel Wagon Co Ltd. The company was acquired by William Beardmore & Co Ltd in 1918.Its valve business moved to Worcester, Worcestershire, England, in 1919 and it acquired two small foundries in Johnstone, Renfrewshire, Scotland; the Victoria Foundry of Thomas Rutherford & Sons and the Cartside Foundry of D Fullerton & Co. These foundries were closed and sold to the local authority, for redevelopment in 1930 and 1933 respectively. It became independent again in 1937, but was acquired by Glenfield & Kennedy Ltd, hydraulic engineers, Kilmarnock, East Ayrshire, Scotland, in 1945. By the early 1950s it was the largest manufacturer of stationary air compressors in the UK. Around this time the business became known as Alley & MacLellan (Polmadie) Ltd, but this name was not formally adopted until 1955 following the sale of the firm's Worcester valve works in 1954. The Worcester business initially traded as Alley & MacLellan (Worcester) Ltd, but soon assumed the name Alley & MacLellan Ltd, making it necessary for the rest of the business to formally adopt the name Alley & MacLellan (Polmadie) Ltd in order to distinguish between the two firms. Alley & MacLellan (Polmadie) Ltd entered voluntary liquidation in 1972.

The above description is from the catalogue of the University of Glasgow Archives who hold the company’s records.

cell
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby cell » Sun Mar 20, 2011 1:48 pm

Alley & MacLellan’s Sentinel works in Polmadie.

I was surprised to see this place is still standing, but the office block is probably listed as it is the earliest reinforced concrete building in Glasgow. The building is of a similar age and construction as the Weir's office block in Cathart. The office block is in poor condition but some of the bays are being used for Polmadie’s car boot sale. Worth a visit for any enthusiast of old factories, but the boot sale is pretty meagre fare.

http://canmore.rcahms.gov.uk/en/site/82480/details/glasgow+polmadie+61+89+jessie+street+sentinel+works/
cell
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Josef » Sun Mar 20, 2011 1:50 pm

cell wrote:Alley & MacLellan’s Sentinel works in Polmadie.hotos/P3190475.jpg[/img]

I was surprised to see this place is still standing, but the office block is probably listed as it is the earliest reinforced concrete building in Glasgow.

I didn't know that. Thanks, C.
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby cell » Sat Mar 26, 2011 7:53 pm

cell wrote:British Polar Engines, this company makes large diesel engines originaly for ships but also for other uses. It is still at Helen St in Govan, the current works are much smaller but there is still an interesting bit left of the old works where you can see BPE in mosiac. This part is now a scrap yard which you can have a wander around if there is no one about.

Here is another BPE plate, which is for a Swedish Nohab engine built under licence

cell
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby mrsam » Wed May 11, 2011 9:39 pm

Found in dunblane on a flying visit to the high st

Mr Sam
Hmmm I wonder what happens if i press that lever.... Ahh It operates that shiny new plug socket!

www..photobucket.com/albums/ll103/thecuriocollector

www..photobucket.com/albums/v195/tarbat2003
mrsam
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby cell » Sun Jun 26, 2011 1:14 pm

The Albion Motor Car Co Ltd was founded in 1899 and had its factory in South Street in Scotstoun. It was renamed Albion Motors in 1930, was taken over by Leyland Motors in 1951, later became Leyland DAF in 1987 and following a management buyout in 1993, renamed itself Albion Automotive before being bought by its current owners, the American Axle Manufacturing Company in 1998.
The factory used to be on both sides of South street but only the southern section still remains, the photo below was borrowed from the current owners website, so apologies for the low resolution, has any one got a better one from perhaps a Waverly trip?
Originally set up as a car manufacturer, it was decided in 1909 to focus on commercial vehicles and they went on to produce large numbers of successful designs of trucks and buses which are what they are best remembered for. In 1980 there was a complete change of direction and since then only automotive components, such as rear axles, have been produced.

I suspect the plate above is from a hidden diesel engine radiator or stationary engine and would not normally have been on display. The more commonly seen emblem is the elaborate red sunrise radiator badge, an example of which is shown below and which was on a light truck on display in the old transport museum. Also shown below is the black badge from the same truck and a similar blue one. The blue one went for a small fortune recently on ebay and was from the earliest phase of the company.

The photo below is a relative who had a haulage business in Aberdeenshire (Kelman Turiff) between the wars and was obviously proud to buy Scottish. (or being an Aberdonian, pleased that he had saved the delivery charge by being able to pick it up from the factory when he was down visting his Glasgow relatives!)

On a musical slant, I’m told by Wikipedia that Mark Knopfler's, "Border Reiver", the first track on the 2009 album, "Get Lucky", contains direct references to "My Scotstoun lassie", "She's an Albion" and "Sure as the Sunrise". I’m sure someone can confirm this.
cell
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Josef » Sun Jun 26, 2011 3:14 pm

Excellent, Cell. Thanks.
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby banjo » Sun Jun 26, 2011 3:56 pm

im quite sure mark knopfler was a scotstoun boy.
banjo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby cell » Mon Jun 27, 2011 9:21 am

Thanks Joseph, I'm glad folks find these of interest and as always I'd really like to see any other manufactures plates that people have or know about, strictly speaking they should be from Glasgow or in Glasgow, but I'm also interested in any Scottish manufacturing concern.

mrsam wrote:Found in dunblane on a flying visit to the high st

Mr Sam

Mr S, I'm guessing your photo was of a hook on a pull down shop awning, I had a quick search for the company and came up with a letterhead in the excellent Robert Pool's collection, although the office address is different, Renfield St instead of West Regent St, the product type is very similar so I guess it was the same company.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/robertpool/4351182858/

As a pure coincident the same search threw up the Whiting Society Bell list for the Gorbals Bell Foundry (this was mentioned recently on another thread) which shows that John Bryden was supplied a number of bells from 1840 onwards. The letterhead has a bell logo and indicates that they supplied bell hangers so were obviously bell contractors who supplied and fitted your bell, there can't be many of them left today!
cell
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby BrigitDoon » Mon Jun 27, 2011 3:12 pm

UXB
BrigitDoon
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects