POW Camps around Scotland

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Postby Apollo » Fri Jun 04, 2004 1:12 am

Urban myth warning:

It is not true to say there is no law of trespass in Scotland. It is certainly different from England, but the problem is that there is no straightforward legal definition.

There is also currently no right to roam in existence in Scotland, although the proposed Scottish Outdoor Access Code is hopefully looming close, this year supposedly.

Details of the above can be found at http://www.snh.org.uk/

Much of the early substantive text seems to have been cleaned out of the site, but it gave detailed extracts of past cases from the Scottish courts where subjects had come to grief claiming there was no trespass in Scotland, although the cases then became entagled with argument and cross-argument about what constituted trespass.

Chasing ROC posts on various kinds of land meant having at least half a clue, although I only ever met one aggressive bugger up in St.Fergus, and he was English too :evil: Better still, 2 weeks after meeting him, a tourist was was shot dead on holiday on the same estate. Glad I didn't stop to argue 8O
Apollo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby turbozutek » Fri Jun 04, 2004 1:17 am

The trespass laws as they stand are enshrined in Civil legislation here - there is nothing criminal about it.

Which is why it's as good as legal.

Duncan researched this a wee while ago - tell us Duncs!!

Chris...
turbozutek
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby monthebiffy » Fri Jun 04, 2004 3:19 pm

That place isn't very far from me, I'd been considering going for a look... the prison right next to it means no-one would come with me though, pussies ::):
monthebiffy
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby JayKay » Fri Jun 04, 2004 5:34 pm

the buildings in those pics were originally RAF Bishopbriggs. Some of the buildings were used after the war as the prison (HMP Low Moss) the rest of the buildings were used as a DSS resettlement unit until the late 90s. It was known as "The Spike", and was part of a network of resettlement units. The thinking was that these were located a day's walk apart, so that the dossers/homeless could travel between them easily. The Briggs one was the last of these to close.

In its air force life it was the barracks for an RAF barrage balloon station which was located across the road. There's a golf range and there was a cart track locted on what was part of the area where the baloons were flown from. I think there may be another building in the area that was a kind of control tower, but I'm not sure.

I lived locally for several years and fancied a visit but never got round to it. The buildings in the pics should be accessible without too much problem. Drop me a PM and we could meet up.
JayKay
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re: POW Camps around Scotland

Postby junkcatcher » Sat Feb 16, 2008 1:51 pm

Long dead thread but rather than start a new one ---

I am looking for info on WW2 PoW Camps in Scotland in particular Camp 19 Happendon Camp near Douglas Castle, Lanarkshire ? My father was stationed at the camp guarding (!) Italians who didn't take too much guarding prior to his unit being trained for the planned invasion of Japan.
Andy
junkcatcher
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby dopirt » Sun Oct 12, 2008 3:28 pm

Hi, The Resettlement Unit at Bishopbriggs closed on the 31st March 1995. I know this because I was employed there for 20 years. That wooden Bus Shelter you can see on the left hand side of the main gate, it was I and a few of the guys that layed the base and erected it. The building just to the right of the picture was as follows: Dinning room, store room, staff dinning room then dormitories. There is not one inch of this place I dont know.
dopirt
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby Ronnie » Sun Oct 12, 2008 8:19 pm

junkcatcher wrote:Long dead thread but rather than start a new one ---

I am looking for info on WW2 PoW Camps in Scotland in particular Camp 19 Happendon Camp near Douglas Castle, Lanarkshire ? My father was stationed at the camp guarding (!) Italians who didn't take too much guarding prior to his unit being trained for the planned invasion of Japan.

Have you seen these links?

http://www.lanarkshirefhs.org.uk/forums.php?m=posts&q=876

http://www.flickr.com/photos/7514415@N03/2365069168/

http://www.wehrmacht-awards.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2461693
upupdowndownleftrightleftrightbastart
Ronnie
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby dopirt » Thu Nov 06, 2008 2:50 pm

dopirt wrote:Hi, The Resettlement Unit at Bishopbriggs closed on the 31st March 1996. I know this because I was employed there for 20 years. That wooden Bus Shelter you can see on the left hand side of the main gate, it was I and a few of the guys that layed the base and erected it. The building just to the right of the picture was as follows: Dinning room, store room, staff dinning room then dormitories. There is not one inch of this place I dont know.

I have made a correction in the closure date. My original post had 31st March 1995 when in acute fact it was the 31st March 1996.
dopirt
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby dopirt » Thu Dec 11, 2008 10:23 pm

I'm starting a collection of photographs for this camp just as its being knocked down. However, I do have many more pictures to put on yet of activities of this unit from the 1970's throught to its closure date. If anyone is interested they can see them at: http://www.flickr.com/photos/ouchaye/

I still have much to do in the description of the buildings but I will be doing that as I go.
dopirt
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby scatlond » Mon Mar 30, 2009 8:38 pm

Thanks for the photos of the spike, I had a few stays in there in the 80s and 90s, I remember going on one of your fishing trips and nearly killed myself climbing a cliff near glencoe, like you i remember every inch of the spike and have many fond memories.I went there a couple of years ago it was derelict and very overgrown and now I see it has gone completely, there should be a memorial plaque, where your bus stop was. Thanks again, at least one person in the cyberworld appreciated it.
scatlond
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby hazy » Mon Mar 30, 2009 11:42 pm

cultybraggen. I spent time up there during the 70s as an Army cadet. Its in Perthshire. Has a good history . Or bad depends what side you are on.
Thank you. And why not.
hazy
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Chr1ss » Tue Jan 05, 2010 2:19 pm

Ha! I lived at the spike for about 18 months in the early 90's, (Chris Kennedy)
There were some good times and some wierd and wonderful characters, they helped me a lot when I needed it, hope all whom where there are in good health.
Chr1ss
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby moonbeam » Tue Jan 05, 2010 8:18 pm

Spent time at Cultybraggen Camp in the early 1950s. There were still notices in German in some of the huts. Go and see it. It looks like a WW2 "movie" set of an army/prison camp. There were "wee" gardens at the front and rear of some of the huts-overgrown-but the Germans must have tended them.The "open" toilets were amazing!!
Why cant they market this place for any WW2 movies that might be made.
moonbeam
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Autolycus » Tue Jan 05, 2010 8:22 pm

moonbeam wrote:Spent time at Cultybraggen Camp in the early 1950s. There were still notices in German in some of the huts. Go and see it. It looks like a WW2 "movie" set of an army/prison camp. There were "wee" gardens at the front and rear of some of the huts-overgrown-but the Germans must have tended them.The "open" toilets were amazing!!
Why cant they market this place for any WW2 movies that might be made.

I think the appeal of WW2 movies has faded. Comrie Development Trust are turning the place into a home for community businesses.
Autolycus
Autolycus
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Chr1ss » Wed Jan 06, 2010 3:11 pm

Meant to say it would be good to hear from anyone who can remember me. E mail on request, Chris.
Chr1ss
Just settling in
Just settling in

PreviousNext

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects