Scottish Screen Archive

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Scottish Screen Archive

Postby Mori » Wed Mar 19, 2008 12:34 am

I searched Glasgow and got this page.
v
Scottish Screen Archive

Herald

More than 1000 clips of archive film footage, showing the previously unseen history of Scotland, are to be put online for public use.

The Scottish Screen Archive has finally finished the considerable task of saving more than 400 hours of film archives for future use, in a process which has seen more than one million feet of film transferred to high-quality digital videotape.
Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re: Scottish Screen Archive

Postby onyirtodd » Wed Mar 19, 2008 12:50 am

Is the Scottish Screen Archive one of the 'institutions' being abandoned in the Culture (Scotland) Bill ?
238 to 127. All in all a good afternoon's work
onyirtodd
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby nodrog » Wed Mar 19, 2008 11:44 am

No, despite its name, ithe archive is no longer part of Scottish Screen (which is being absorbed into Culture Scotland). As of last year, it became part of the National Library of Scotland. Still based in sunny Hillington though...

Very nice folk they are too!
"I'd just move on to the 'hot-air ballooning vigilante' stage of my career earlier than planned"

www.scottishcinemas.org.uk
www.twitter.com/scottishcinemas
nodrog
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Cyclo2000 » Wed Mar 19, 2008 12:03 pm

Innit mental that these clips are not available to download?
Alter Aterius Auxilio Veget
Cyclo2000
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby escotregen » Thu Mar 27, 2008 1:53 pm

I think that the problem is to do with copyright and intellectual property rights etc. I do know that a few years ago a couple of us made enquiries about using old archive clips. This was for background to a sort of 'Tartan Short' film of an imaginary landscape in Glasgow following a supposed victory by the Nazis in 1940. Folks were very helpful (I mean the Scottish Screen folk... not the Nazis) but the advice was that rights issues. licences and costs etc. just made the whole concept unworkable on our budget (about five and sixpence in Fossil money).

I should emphazise that that was before all the excellant work to bring together all the material to form the present archive. But I suspect that the same issues are still relevant.
escotregen
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby dimairt » Thu Mar 27, 2008 9:20 pm

I've had a look through most of the Glasgow clips that are on-line - highly recommended. There are too many to mention but I particularly enjoyed this one. What does the goalie have down his shorts?

Le durachd,
Eddy

http://ssa.nls.uk/film.cfm?fid=1166
dimairt
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Buzby » Sat Apr 05, 2008 5:57 pm

Surely for all firms after 1958, there is a problem, but prior to this there are no 'rights' issues as they expire after 50 years? Secondly, the archive was mentioned as being in Hillington.... I believe it is now based in Kirkintilloch.
- Raymond
Buzby
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby gap74 » Sun Apr 06, 2008 2:41 am

Kirkintilloch is where the vaults are, Hillington is where the conservation and admin stuff goes on. I think. Was out there a few months ago poking through their old cinema material, although I think there's a longer term plan to move the HIllington facility back closer to the city centre somewhere.
gap74
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Mori » Sun Apr 06, 2008 6:51 pm

gap74 wrote: although I think there's a longer term plan to move the HIllington facility back closer to the city centre somewhere.

I heard a wee Rumour that it might be Film City @ Govan Town Hall Gap74, dont know how true that is but i'td be good if that was the case.
Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby escotregen » Mon Apr 07, 2008 8:30 am

ah buzby if onlt the 'rights' issue were that simple (and now intellectiual property rights as well as licence issues). For one thing it all depends where your 50 years starts from. Also, as ever, the utterly arrogant USA has it own rules of up to 70 years and their willing cultural colonial agents in the form of global corporations, in effect enforce the 70 years on anyone they deal with anywhere in the world.

There is also the complication of what the rights and licenses actually cover - the full product/ individual performances/ subsequent binding contractual extentions etc.as a huge and wonderful vcr archive of live folk performances in the west of Scotland in the late 80s and 90s. The filming was all with the consent of the artists, event organisers and venue managers. He is now finding it impossible to reproduce the contents except on the very most commercial basis - and everybody wants their bight. Which is a pity becuase our aim had been a sort of -not-for-profit archive compilation for the general commonwealth and that would provide the basis for an ongoing and interactive programme of enjoyment, sharing and exchange. We specifically did not want it all to end up in some offcial museum/archive where it slowly wasted away from neglect and obscurity.

And that is just some of the issues around rights, licences etc. :cry:
escotregen
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby onyirtodd » Mon Apr 07, 2008 8:33 am

A similar subject has been vexing the weans at Footstompin' recently.
http://www.footstompin.com/public/forum?threadid=162807
238 to 127. All in all a good afternoon's work
onyirtodd
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby escotregen » Mon Apr 07, 2008 8:35 am

busby sorry but I made an even worse mess than usual of my above posting – with a crucial bit missing. It should have read:

ah buzby if only the 'rights' issue were that simple (and now intellectual property rights as well as licence issues). For one thing it all depends where your 50 years starts from. Also, as ever, the utterly arrogant USA has it own rules of up to 70 years and their willing cultural colonial agents in the form of global corporations, in effect enforce the 70 years on anyone they deal with anywhere in the world.

There is also the complication of what the rights and licenses actually cover - the full product/ individual performances/ subsequent binding contractual extentions, etc. For example I’m working with a guy just now who has as a huge and wonderful super VCR archive of live folk performances in the west of Scotland in the late 80s and 90s. The filming was all with the consent of the artists, event organisers and venue managers. He is now finding it impossible to reproduce the contents except on the very most commercial basis - and everybody wants their bight. Which is a pity because our aim had been a sort of -not-for-profit archive compilation for the general commonwealth and that would provide the basis for an ongoing and interactive programme of enjoyment, sharing and exchange. We specifically did not want it all to end up in some official museum/archive where it slowly wasted away from neglect and obscurity. :cry:
escotregen
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects