Former Carmelite Convent, Langside

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Carmelite Monastery Kirkintilloch.

Postby onyirtodd » Sun Mar 23, 2008 12:19 pm

A few pics my brother took en route to banjo lessons.
238 to 127. All in all a good afternoon's work
onyirtodd
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re: Former Carmelite Convent, Langside

Postby Des » Sun Mar 23, 2008 8:02 pm

mark mc daid wrote:re all of this
house at langside by honeyman and keppie?whom c r mackintosh joined
son ninian bannatyne commisioned dunloe house wemyss bay also-died in 1912 leaving 507k in cash also several properties(equivalent to 29 millioon in todays money)
dont think ive seen anything suggesting suicide-family were not all catholic-stained glass was carmalite later installed,one family member became jesuit priest while others were episcopalian,family had long term fued stemming from fathers second marriage tomargaret bannatyne,second run of kids ensued and the rest is history.
cheers
mark

Just out of curiosity how do you know all this?
Des
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby dinkydoll » Tue Apr 08, 2008 2:23 pm

wow this is all very interesting reading!! :D

My boyfriend's flat on mansionhouse gardens backs on to this building and since they have cleared the trees to start work on the site I cant stop looking out the windows at it!!! I'm even washing the dishes more than normal ::): Its an amazing building, really hard to believe that it was once a family home!!! I would love to see the inside of it - I wonder if it the site manager would still be up for letting us having a nosey around?

Yup i'm a first time poster :P I dont have anything to add (yet) but came across this site whilst looking for info on the convent - found more info here than I did on the net - good work everyone!!
dinkydoll
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby Des » Sat Apr 12, 2008 10:50 pm

dinkydoll wrote:wow this is all very interesting reading!! :D

My boyfriend's flat on mansionhouse gardens backs on to this building and since they have cleared the trees to start work on the site I cant stop looking out the windows at it!!! I'm even washing the dishes more than normal ::): Its an amazing building, really hard to believe that it was once a family home!!! I would love to see the inside of it - I wonder if it the site manager would still be up for letting us having a nosey around?

Yup i'm a first time poster :P I dont have anything to add (yet) but came across this site whilst looking for info on the convent - found more info here than I did on the net - good work everyone!!

Yeah go talk to the site manager from what I hear he would be happy to let you nose as long as the building work has not got too advanced. Go see it and tell me if you think that its spooky. What do you reckon to the death of Alexander Stewat? Whay no mention of the cause anywhere?
Des
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby marieah » Tue May 05, 2009 8:52 pm

Firstly thanx to all that have looked for all the information about the Convent and taken the time to share it on here and all that have taken positive interest in this building which has much history and heritage. Thank you very much.
I had the rare opportunity to be in the grounds of this beautiful house very recently. It is looking very rundown. There is rubble everywhere as if its been deliberately left to deteriorate as an excuse not to have to abide by the rules to restore it as a listed building. There are windows lying open in the main house, carved sandstone lying in broken bits, pigeons flying in and out of all sorts of windows, it is a very sad sight ... I hope it is someday going to be restored to what it was meant to be, wish it could be an art gallery with art from all walks of life, world and times, just like the guy that got it built wanted it. Why do we have to turn every bit of rich heritage into flats.....

the garden has still got much life in it many beautiful plants with lovely spring flowers .... I really hope the site developers do it justice.
marieah
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby Alongtheroad » Thu Jul 30, 2009 12:34 pm

Site is now owned by company that is linked to another company in administration. Building worked ceased and it all went up in smoke last night. Haven't seen how much damage but it was burning for a while.
Alongtheroad
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby My Kitten » Thu Jul 30, 2009 1:21 pm

Alongtheroad wrote:Site is now owned by company that is linked to another company in administration. Building worked ceased and it all went up in smoke last night. Haven't seen how much damage but it was burning for a while.

:( never noticed anything last night out the window, will have to go up for a look. Surprise....
My Kitten
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Alongtheroad » Mon Aug 24, 2009 12:54 pm

Does appear to be that much damage. Company that owns it is now in administration too.
Alongtheroad
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby Craigsanquhar » Thu Aug 27, 2009 7:27 am

http://gdl.cdlr.strath.ac.uk/mlemen/mlemen086.htm

see above link for info on Alexander Bannatyne Stewart... when we were young we used to go over the wall in the convent to pinch apples we got chased by nuns with sticks and if we had been caught i am certain they would have used them
http://awalkaround.wordpress.com/langside/
http://www.my-broun-wyld-stewart-lang-a ... wart.shtml

hope this helps Lesley in tassie
Craigsanquhar
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby Craigsanquhar » Thu Aug 27, 2009 7:40 am

I found a piece in the Glasgow Herald on 28th May Death Notices says
Stewart Suddenly on the 27th inst. at the Midland Grand Hotel,London. Alexander B Stewart of Stewart & McDonald Glasgow Friends will accept this (the only) intimation

I have also got a full story on his death if anyone wants a copy pm me as I am not sure how to upload
regards lesley in Tassie
Craigsanquhar
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby GHO1 » Fri Nov 20, 2009 11:34 pm

Hello
I am researching the gardens of Alexander Ballantyne Stewart. I'm afraid that I cannot add any information to what is here already, but I would be extremely grateful to see the 'full story on his death' mentioned in the previous post if possible. Thank you very much.
GHO1
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby My Kitten » Fri Nov 20, 2009 11:38 pm

i was up recently and there only appears to be damage to the outbuildings which were pretty much bogarted anyway. Otherwise looks pretty sound. Shame the company went bust
два сталкиваются
My Kitten
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Cindertech » Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:04 pm

I would like to say, i live round the corner (Langside Place), i have done for about 20 years. Part of that time i was a young child and I have many experiences surounding this building. I would also like to say that i am not surprized AT ALL that most attempts to renovate or convert (whatever theve been doing) have failed. Its great to hear people talk about this building. I believe that it should be protected but left very much alone.

I will go up and take a selection of night and day shots.

Thanks
Cindertech
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby clearhearts » Sat Mar 06, 2010 8:16 pm

Not about A B Stewart but links to the planning permission and Jones Langs LaSalle brochure, in case anyone was interested. Looks like it'll be a nice development.

http://www.glasgowcitycouncil.co.uk/com ... m%201e.pdf

http://www.scottishproperty.co.uk/ViewP ... searchid=0
clearhearts
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby Big A » Tue May 31, 2011 3:54 pm

Sorry to drag up an old topic, but I have been trying to find out more on this building and google hasn't really been my friend. Having read through this topic it has been great and given me a good knowledge and insight to the building, but does anyone have any further information on how this building is progressing? Thanks
Big A
Just settling in
Just settling in

PreviousNext

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects