It is a really nice building.

I doubt the sisters will be making it over to the Welfare club though :D

C
cjroarty
Just settling in
Just settling in

Re: Former Carmelite Convent, Langside

Postby onyirtodd » Mon Mar 17, 2008 1:51 pm

cjroarty wrote:It is a really nice building.

I doubt the sisters will be making it over to the Welfare club though :D

C

So long as they don't come armed I'm sure they'll be made very welcome. They might even be offered banjo lessons.
238 to 127. All in all a good afternoon's work
onyirtodd
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Des » Mon Mar 17, 2008 3:56 pm

cjroarty wrote:My wife's aunt lived there - the nuns have moved to a convent in Kirkintilloch now - and before they left we were given a tour of the building.

There were modifications made but none of them were particularly destructive so I reckon the flats will be pretty special when they come on the market.

Don't know much about the history of the building but I can do some digging around and see what I can pick up.

My only annoyance is that my picture taking abilities are so poor and the house was very dark so there weren't many pictures that were of much use.

Ciaran

Thanks for that, the pictures are good and the stained glass is quite amazing. Would seem that the modifications were very slight and mostly the placing of false walls rather than destroying original features. Apparently as the builders have taken down the plasterboard they have found more and more interesting and sometimes bizarre original features.
Des
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby onyirtodd » Mon Mar 17, 2008 4:06 pm

Des wrote: Thanks for that, the pictures are good and the stained glass is quite amazing. Would seem that the modifications were very slight and mostly the placing of false walls rather than destroying original features. Apparently as the builders have taken down the plasterboard they have found more and more interesting and sometimes bizarre original features.

Wall mounted didlos? St Andrew's Cross whipping frames?
onyirtodd
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Jazza » Mon Mar 17, 2008 4:10 pm

onyirtodd wrote:Wall mounted didlos? St Andrew's Cross whipping frames?

Straight to hell for you mr.
Eighty percent of success is showing up.
Jazza
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby onyirtodd » Mon Mar 17, 2008 4:21 pm

Jazza wrote:

Straight to hell for you mr.

Too long at Violate. I can't believe I messed up dildo.
onyirtodd
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby damnonii » Mon Mar 17, 2008 6:43 pm

I've never seen that building before, I'd love to take a look inside.
Had a go at looking through the newspaper archives for you. Interestingly there's no obituary for Alexander that I can find, which is quite strange given his prominence, so maybe you could be right about suicide. I can tell you he was alive in April 1880 though when he sponsored the nomination of a candidate for Renfrewshire in an election. More importantly I did find an account of the marriage of his eledest daughter Helen on 16th Sep 1891. Her brother gave her away, 3 of her sisters were bridesmaids and the reception was held at Rawcliffe which was still in the possession of her mother at that time. So the house wasn't standing empty until 1919.
http://www.filehost.org.uk/download.php?file=712Helen%20Bannatyne%20Stewart%20marriage.pdf
(middle of the paper, near the bottom. It's the first marriage under the heading 'Local Marriages', I have no idea why its in a Liverpool paper)
damnonii
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby Des » Mon Mar 17, 2008 7:37 pm

damnonii wrote:I've never seen that building before, I'd love to take a look inside.
Had a go at looking through the newspaper archives for you. Interestingly there's no obituary for Alexander that I can find, which is quite strange given his prominence, so maybe you could be right about suicide. I can tell you he was alive in April 1880 though when he sponsored the nomination of a candidate for Renfrewshire in an election. More importantly I did find an account of the marriage of his eledest daughter Helen on 16th Sep 1891. Her brother gave her away, 3 of her sisters were bridesmaids and the reception was held at Rawcliffe which was still in the possession of her mother at that time. So the house wasn't standing empty until 1919.
http://www.filehost.org.uk/download.php?file=712Helen%20Bannatyne%20Stewart%20marriage.pdf
(middle of the paper, near the bottom. It's the first marriage under the heading 'Local Marriages', I have no idea why its in a Liverpool paper)

Wow, thanks that's absolutely fascinating to hear that the family lived on in the house, I expect that they did so at the one on Rothesay too. Can now see that the family was Catholic and therefore suicide might very well have been covered up at this time. All I can find out is that he died sometime in 1880 in London. I'm guessing that the reason it is in a liverpool paper is the groom - I see that the best man is from Liverpool and the groom from Cheshire (not that far away, and maybe he had business in Liverpool). I know that the mum was still around in 1906 and was in possession of a Shakespeare first folio, a very rare collection of poetry.

You should go to the house and talk with the site manager, he seems to be pretty friendly and might show you round - he did show the person I know round the whole property.

I wonder if London papers would shed any light on his death, difficult though when do not even know the month.
Des
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby cjroarty » Mon Mar 17, 2008 8:54 pm

According to an excerpt from a book that the sisters handed out at the tour day, "Mr A.B. Stewart died in London on 27th May, 1880" - ONE HUNDRED GLASGOW MEN. I will try and scan the sections in. Another excerpt, from Notes on the Stewart Pedigree, states "His sudden death in London at an early age cast a gloom over Rothesay and Glasgow and it is recorded that all the flags of Rothesay and the City of Glasgow were flown at half-mast for his funeral."

I've scanned the brochure here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/cjroarty/2341608126/

Ciaran
cjroarty
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby cjroarty » Mon Mar 17, 2008 9:07 pm

No need. 8O
cjroarty
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby ramor69 » Tue Mar 18, 2008 6:52 pm

Des wrote:
ramor69 wrote:Sorry to sound like a sceptic, but am I the only one who seems to think that a lot of these
"1st time posters" are only here to take what they can from this place, rather than putting
anything in. :?

How nice and friendly of you! A welcome would have been appreciated more. In actual fact I did give quite a lot of information and discoverd this site in my quest for information. I also put in a lot of effort looking through this site to see if there were any topics before on this subject.

I have joined loads of forums on lots of different issues and this is the first time I have come across a welcome sush as this. Mostly people are intersted in the subject area and happy to share their knowledge (this is the idea isnt it). I thought the idea was also about getting people to join the forum and get involved. I have absolutley no doubt that everyone who joins the forum including yourself does so from at least a part self interest. There would seem to be little point otherwise. It is not really possible to contribute to the forum without at some point being a "1st time poster"

Been away for a few days, (not been ducking this thread), so thought I'd reply to your post. Yes, we have all got to post for the first time but I thought that's what the "Introduce Yourself" bit was for. Also if you have a look at the thread regarding Daniel Gallacher, you'll see where I'm coming from. Anyhow, since you haven't bolted since your first post, I'll give you a peace offering. Don't know the number of the convent in Mansionhouse Road, but the valuation roll for the street between 1913 and 1914 is here. -

http://www.theglasgowstory.com/valsearc ... house+road
We're in the stickiest situation since Sticky the Stick Insect got stuck on a sticky bun.
ramor69
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Des » Wed Mar 19, 2008 10:07 pm

Thanks very much for both those bits of info, not quite got it pieced together but taking shape thanks to your help. Notes on the Stewart Pedigree seems to be interesting and has certainly said that his death was a big deal in Glasgow. I will dig deeper on this.

The valuation roll is very interesting too - it's number 29 and its listed as being owned by the wife's representative who happens to have the same name of Bannantyne Stewart - my guess is that this his brother and the family solicitor. The occupants listed are the prorietor and two inhabitant occupiers one is the gardner and the other I can't read. Many thanks, going to do a physical search of the herald archives tomorrow and so hopefully will have something to report.
Des
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby Des » Fri Mar 21, 2008 4:09 pm

Just a quick update - there is an intimation in the herald the day after his death in London but it just says that he died suddenly. There is also a large feature on the 2 June 1880 describing a memorial service held for him at St George's Tron church and his internment in the Necropolis. I know now also that he died at the Grand hotel in London. I will now try and find out some info on it but I'm guessing that there are loads of grand hotels. I also now know that his wife died in 1913 so tying this in with the valuation role I think that the house must have been up for sale at this point but the war would likely prevent much interest in it and then it was sold? to the carmelites in 1918 maybe. It's starting to come together a good bit now. I have located his will but can't find one for her.
Des
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby mark mc daid » Fri Mar 21, 2008 4:14 pm

re all of this
house at langside by honeyman and keppie?whom c r mackintosh joined
son ninian bannatyne commisioned dunloe house wemyss bay also-died in 1912 leaving 507k in cash also several properties(equivalent to 29 millioon in todays money)
dont think ive seen anything suggesting suicide-family were not all catholic-stained glass was carmalite later installed,one family member became jesuit priest while others were episcopalian,family had long term fued stemming from fathers second marriage tomargaret bannatyne,second run of kids ensued and the rest is history.
cheers
mark
mark mc daid
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby Des » Fri Mar 21, 2008 4:49 pm

mark mc daid wrote:re all of this
house at langside by honeyman and keppie?whom c r mackintosh joined
son ninian bannatyne commisioned dunloe house wemyss bay also-died in 1912 leaving 507k in cash also several properties(equivalent to 29 millioon in todays money)
dont think ive seen anything suggesting suicide-family were not all catholic-stained glass was carmalite later installed,one family member became jesuit priest while others were episcopalian,family had long term fued stemming from fathers second marriage tomargaret bannatyne,second run of kids ensued and the rest is history.
cheers
mark

very interesting, thanks. The house was built by architect John Burnet. Is Ninnian his son then rather than his brother? - I had guessed brother since he had the bannantyne name rather than stevenson. When you say not all the family were catholic do you mean the wider stewart family - I was really just focussing on him his wife and family.

There is nothing suggesting suicide other than the fact that there is nothing suggesting the cause of death at all.
Des
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

PreviousNext

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects