Possible Nuclear Bunker?

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Possible Nuclear Bunker?

Postby The Lone Magpie » Tue Aug 19, 2003 12:19 pm

A friend told me about this...
<a href="http://www.kevinmcgrorty.com/secrets.html">http://www.kevinmcgrorty.com/secrets.html</a>
Is my leg being pulled here?
The Lone Magpie

Gaaaaah!

Postby The Lone Magpie » Tue Aug 19, 2003 12:21 pm

Damn my knowledge of HTML! Try this...
http://www.kevinmcgrorty.50megs.com/secrets.html
The Lone Magpie

Postby ken » Tue Aug 19, 2003 9:28 pm

I've heard about the Central Station street thing before, but not sure about the other 2. Makes good reading though.
ken

Postby guest007 » Tue Aug 26, 2003 3:07 pm

hmmm rekon he spent too much time at the GCBP! ::):

I always assumed the "bunker" actually housed a lift which serves vehicles to Queen Street station, like the wee luggage carrier that shot out the door one day!

As for wanting to save politicians in the City Chambers from possible Nuclear fallout...... i rekon someone has seen 1 too many Terminator films! :twisted:
guest007

nuclear bunker

Postby stunev » Tue Sep 23, 2003 2:14 pm

When the entrance to this was being built in the 1970s the sign outside said something like Post Office Cable Tunnel or BT Cable Tunnel. Of course just because it says that doesn't mean anything, anyone who's read Beneath the City Streets develops a healthy suspicion of such descriptions.

Even so, it's difficult to imagine that it houses a nuclear bunker and as for being connected to the underground, even if you could find the space through the Queen Street low level tunnels, sewers etc to drive a tunnel west to the nearest point to the subway, why would you want to?
stunev

hmmmm

Postby Roscco » Thu Oct 02, 2003 2:07 pm

:?:

It would seem plausabile that glasgow would have a nuclear shelter of some description, but as for the location of queen street ???? anyway, i spend a good couple of months working in edinburghs' waverly station, was anybody aware that from the service tunnels at the back of coopers bar you can proceed to go down no less than 7 levels. The site of the old edinburgh leith line is down there as well as police shooting gallerys. Now for the weird part, get down to level 4 ( now the furthest you can go) and you come accross a concrete slab completely sealing further access marked with the biohazard sign and the word DANGER.
anybody know more ??
Roscco

nuclear bunkers

Postby stunev » Mon Oct 06, 2003 11:23 am

The recent discussion about bunkers has reminded me of a conversation I had with a photographer a few years ago.

Apparently he had been in the Glasgow City Chambers obtaining a press pass for a George Square event, by the time he had got his pass the main doors of the City Chambers were closed and he was let out "through a tunnel that ran under George Square and came out in the lane behind the auctioneers"

My first thought was that this was in Anchor Lane, which is directly across from the City Chambers and which houses the service entrances of, amongst others, some firms of auctioneers. Another possibilty is that before Auctioneers Pub in North Court Lane was a pub it was an auctioneers and North Court Lane runs round the side, providing a very discreet entrance / exit.

Any thoughts?
stunev

Re: hmmmm

Postby Some Guy » Mon Oct 20, 2003 9:11 am

Anonymous wrote::?:

anyway, i spend a good couple of months working in edinburghs' waverly station, was anybody aware that from the service tunnels at the back of coopers bar you can proceed to go down no less than 7 levels. The site of the old edinburgh leith line is down there as well as police shooting gallerys. Now for the weird part, get down to level 4 ( now the furthest you can go) and you come accross a concrete slab completely sealing further access marked with the biohazard sign and the word DANGER.
anybody know more ??

I don't know any more I'm afraid, but I can verify your story!!!! My Girlfriend used to work in Coppers in Edinburgh, she didn't go past where they were allowed herself, but one of the staff did and had this to report:

Yes I heard that you can go to loads of different levels....(I told you this before!!!!!)
The cellar is under the station as is the office...
I never went past the areas we weren't allowed as apparently it is haunted....and the cellar was abit spooky anyway...
Andy Dodson told us about the shooting galleries and the bio Hazard thing..before...he went exploring once....
Some Guy
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Glasgow's "Bunker"

Postby klunk » Thu Oct 30, 2003 2:26 pm

Folks, I happened to be talking to my father about the wee building beside the Buchanan Galleries. He believed it was the something to do (access/ventilation etc) with a mini-railway that used to stretch from queen street station, under george square, to the old GPO building.

Just thought i'd throw that idea into the pot as it sounds pretty plausible?!
klunk
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby caine » Thu Oct 30, 2003 3:32 pm

i've heard about that tunnel as well. would seem a good idea to have a direct link from the train station to the post office i suppose, but it cant be very long at all.
caine
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby caine » Fri Oct 31, 2003 3:17 pm

just found out that the half of the old GPO building that hasnt been converted/built yet belongs to Stephan King the club owner of the Social and Arkaos etc.

a nicely worded letter to them could prove to be fruitful if we could ckeck out the basements etc.
caine
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

post office

Postby stunev » Tue Nov 04, 2003 9:12 am

I seem to remember a few years ago something in one of the papers, possibly the Evening Times or The Herald about the basement of the George Square Post Office building housing a NATO communications headquarters.

If so, now that the building is in private hands, is it still there?
stunev
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby caine » Tue Nov 04, 2003 9:37 am

::): well if its true, they had their own wee private escape route then!
caine
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

GPO

Postby KMas » Sun Feb 22, 2004 11:25 pm

I moved into the GPO flats a couple of months ago and have access to the basements, they are huge and have lots of rooms and corridors. Haven't gone too far into them, creepy as hell.......
Don't like the idea of stuff under the building, scares me, :)

KM

PS Hi, I decided to stop lurking and formally register :)
KMas
Just settling in
Just settling in

Re: Glasgow's "Bunker"

Postby JayKay » Mon Feb 23, 2004 1:14 pm

klunk wrote:Folks, I happened to be talking to my father about the wee building beside the Buchanan Galleries. He believed it was the something to do (access/ventilation etc) with a mini-railway that used to stretch from queen street station, under george square, to the old GPO building.

Just thought i'd throw that idea into the pot as it sounds pretty plausible?!

From earlier posts on this site, (Tunnel under Bothwell St) is it not more likely that the old GPO building referred to is in fact Dial House? I know its BT now, but in ye olden days the GPO would have been in charge of telephones. Of course...not beyond the realms of possibility that it goes to George Square too.
JayKay
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Next

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects