Glasgow IN COLOUR pre 1980

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Postby james73 » Sun Jun 27, 2004 11:01 am

Ronnie wrote:(By the way it's an office block, not a hotel, that blocks the view of the station arch.)

No, it's an extension to the hotel.

James H
He's over there...
james73
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby john-g » Sun Jun 27, 2004 8:24 pm

Quality snaps those.

I believe that's the first I've seen of the Grand Hotel in colour! I've heard people argue that the demolition of the hotel opened up views of Charing Cross mansions and as such wasn't such a bad thing, I think that pic proves otherwise though, as if a motorway would improve the setting anyway:(

Interesting to see Queen street station fronting George square too. Again I'd seen identical B&W pics but this is the first in technicolour! George Square is much the poorer for its loss. Although to be honest the effect wasn't that impressive even back then, the low grade tenement rather chopped the arch in half when viewed from the square, better if they'd extended the arch out onto the facing street. Just a little titbit but where the present pathetic office/hotel whatever thing is (just out of shot on the left) there used to stand a rather impressive collonaded Greek temple thing, unfortunately for it and us it stood in the way of a seventies property developer.

Liked the street scene on Renfield street too, the crowds and the colour really draw you in. Good to see the old Anderson bus station too, or rather good to see the back of the old Anderson bus station too:)! This area is actually really interesting as its changed the most since the eighties with all the snazzy new office/residential developments.

Good work!
john-g
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby james73 » Sun Jun 27, 2004 8:48 pm

john wrote:Interesting to see Queen street station fronting George square too. Again I'd seen identical B&W pics but this is the first in technicolour! George Square is much the poorer for its loss. Although to be honest the effect wasn't that impressive even back then, the low grade tenement rather chopped the arch in half when viewed from the square, better if they'd extended the arch out onto the facing street. Just a little titbit but where the present pathetic office/hotel whatever thing is (just out of shot on the left) there used to stand a rather impressive collonaded Greek temple thing, unfortunately for it and us it stood in the way of a seventies property developer.

To be honest, most station arches have something in front of them
anyway - Saint Enoch had a big hotel in front of the main arch of the
station, for example.

James H
He's over there...
james73
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby john-g » Sun Jun 27, 2004 8:57 pm

Don't get me started on St Enochs station! Bloody travesty that was.

I think the key difference between Queen street and St Enoch is That the hotel fronting St Enoch was a masterpiece and the hotel fronting Queen street stank.

I'm actually quite a big fan of those old Victorian train sheds, but of course would never admit so in public:)
john-g
First Stripe
First Stripe

Re: More trams...

Postby duncan » Mon Jun 28, 2004 9:02 am

gap74 wrote:Image

nasty. reminds me of a bit in that 'Do Not Pass Go' book, where he talks about the last tram in London. huge crowds turned out to watch it's final journey. then, despite offers from transport museums to house it, the council burnt it.
duncan
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby john-g » Fri Jul 16, 2004 6:32 pm

Just received my copy of "the twilight years of the glasgow tram" and......

Its frickin ace! EASILY the best Glasgow book I've ever seen. Thanks Gap74!
john-g
First Stripe
First Stripe

More books...

Postby gap74 » Sat Jul 17, 2004 6:13 pm

No problems!

Just got hold of another couple of pic books that I think people on here would love to see, but alas, I can't get reconnected to broadband after my move until at least August 4th!

So watch this space!

Gary
gap74
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby kirkyguy » Sat Jul 17, 2004 6:49 pm

Just seen another tram going to normal school ...what is this someone help me with this...
kirkyguy
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby My Kitten » Wed Jul 21, 2004 9:13 pm

Ronnie wrote:emmar - tell your dad not to give up his day job !!!

hehe, he did get better after that! We used to have loads of photos, as he went on to develop his own. I'm going to see if he has any more pics when Im up. Hopefully he will have some interesting ones.
два сталкиваются
My Kitten
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby lonewooolf » Thu Jul 22, 2004 4:17 pm

Thanks for teh blast from the past guys.
Fantastic photo's!
:>
Follow The White Rabbit
Keep An Open Mind
lonewooolf
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby kirkyguy » Fri Jul 23, 2004 4:35 pm

Someone tell me what Normal school is......
kirkyguy
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby The Voyageur » Sun Feb 26, 2006 7:26 pm

Can anyone help date this pic of the renfrew ferry?

The Voyageur
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Schiehallion » Sun Feb 26, 2006 9:25 pm

I'd say it's, at the latest, early 1960's This photo was taken in 1967 - using the low roofed building above the word 'metal' as a reference point note that by 1967 the writing had appeared on the wall and a new building had been built behind the low roofed building.

Last edited by Schiehallion on Sun Jul 30, 2006 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Schiehallion
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby The Voyageur » Sun Feb 26, 2006 9:39 pm

Cool, thanks v much. :)
The Voyageur
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Re: More Streets of Glasgow in colour

Postby Fat Cat » Mon Feb 27, 2006 4:33 pm

[quote="gap74Image
![/quote]

The blue Midland bus reminds me of when we were wee and you either went for the "blue bus" 1a or b to Ruchazie or the corporation bus number 35.
Fat Cat
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects