Very much

Thanks

-Fossil-
Bum tit tit bum tit tit play yer hairy banjo
Fossil
-
-

Postby mustardman » Fri May 28, 2004 6:17 pm

Have always liked Harvey Keitel, espaecially in Reservoir Dogs. I wonder how many BIG name actors, have actually filmed in Glasgow. There was that dodgy movie that Charlie Sheen did a few years ago, absolute sh**e!

Talk about cars, now about three years ago there was a car that travelled about the city centre, and it was a replica of a car from a movie called 'The Car'. It was black in colour, weird looking. The horn and sound of engine was very distinct. i have a picture of it here. Does anyone know anything about this???

mustardman
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby duncan » Fri May 28, 2004 6:29 pm

mustardman wrote:Talk about cars, now about three years ago there was a car that travelled about the city centre

whereabouts is this, wait don't tell me, it's in the east end somewhere?
duncan
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby mustardman » Fri May 28, 2004 6:36 pm

Well, i don't know, saw it many times in the city centre......weird isn't it!
mustardman
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Apollo » Fri May 28, 2004 8:51 pm

The Car was still being seen around less than 2 years ago, and may still be since I'm no longer frequenting the areas where I spotted it.

First caught it in laybys on the A82 along Loch Lomond, but on those occasions was not able to get pics. The first time I was too busy trying not to have an accident as I was ever so slightly surprised by seeing the thing. To the eye/memory at least it seems to be a pretty good replica.

Latterly spotted it in South Street, on a number of occasions. Very roughly it was usually parked inside the yard of one of the first businesses you would come across at the west end of the Meadowside Granary building, if it was still there.

I made a number of trips there to try get pics and was eventually succesful, however you'll have to wait to see them as they are on film, and I will be without scanner for a while, but will post them here when available.
Apollo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby mustardman » Fri May 28, 2004 9:04 pm

Apollo wrote:The Car was still being seen around less than 2 years ago, and may still be since I'm no longer frequenting the areas where I spotted it.

First caught it in laybys on the A82 along Loch Lomond, but on those occasions was not able to get pics. The first time I was too busy trying not to have an accident as I was ever so slightly surprised by seeing the thing. To the eye/memory at least it seems to be a pretty good replica.

Latterly spotted it in South Street, on a number of occasions. Very roughly it was usually parked inside the yard of one of the first businesses you would come across at the west end of the Meadowside Granary building, if it was still there.

I made a number of trips there to try get pics and was eventually succesful, however you'll have to wait to see them as they are on film, and I will be without scanner for a while, but will post them here when available.

Excellent, i do want to know the history behind that car, very odd, you can't see how is driving it eitheir?!..lot of time and effort. Look forward to seeing them!!!
mustardman
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby john-g » Sat May 29, 2004 6:36 pm

I (think), I've ordered my copy! Took me about half an hour of battling through my non existant french and babelfish translations.

This is exactly what I've been looking for, I can't believe I've never heard of it before?

The film sounds okay as well:).
john-g
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby Apollo » Sat May 29, 2004 7:23 pm

Don't expect too much mustardman, I only stole a few pics and didn't want to get caught and chased :twisted:

Fraid I don't know anything else about it.

Don't know if you follow the cruise scene, but there won't be a problem seeing who is driving it nowadays as the law on tinted windows changed recently, and its retrospective. The cops now carry light transmission meters to check the level of tint, and you get served a notice to correct if you're over the limit. However, meter or not they'll basically stop you and serve the notice if they can't make out who is driving the car anyway. You can even get a pull now if you only have a sunstrip fitted and it comes lower than your sunvisor :evil:
Apollo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Gus » Thu Jun 03, 2004 11:11 pm

Just ordered this from Amazon. My brother used to have a dodgy old ex-rental of this, but I don't think I ever watched it. The caps are fab, so it became a must-have...

Think it's gonna set me back around £21.50, so just wish I could have borrowed it. I am now very proficient at ripping!!!

G.
Gus
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby john-g » Mon Jun 21, 2004 6:59 pm

To anyone considering paying twenty odd quid for this... DON'T. The film bombed for a reason, its shockingly bad.

I just watched this today, at least up to the gorbals section, then I fast forwarded to see if there were any more Glasgow shots, there weren't.

what you see on page 1 of this thread is the best (only) scenes in the film and its all over within about a minute.

The only possible reason for watching further is a (brief) scene in the Gorbals mid demolition with a blurry tracking shot of Basil Spence's notorious Queen Elizabeth flats along with a strange (I'd never seen it before) red sandstone domed church/hall type thing.

That said the sheer desolation of the soot blackened tenements, with mounds of rubble and weeds, wrecked cars, pools of stagnant water, horse drawn carts horrific municipal housing "projects" is quite something to behold.

Although the striking pickets getting bundled away by the police was an interesting foresight for events about to (then) happen.
john-g
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby caine » Tue Jun 22, 2004 7:26 am

i think some people actually want the film as a reference/archive/what ever as to what glasgow used to look like before the days of our so called "cosmopolitan" age. could be wrong though.
caine
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby john-g » Tue Jun 22, 2004 11:03 am

Yeah, that's why I got it too.

I'm just saying that from the point of view of a "reference/archive/what ever as to what glasgow used to look like before the days of our so called "cosmopolitan" age." its not worth buying. The stills on this thread cover all that was in the film, excluding a short section in the Gorbals.
john-g
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby Pgcc93 » Thu Apr 28, 2005 8:03 pm

death watch is being shown in the GFT on Monday 30th May 2005

Showing: 13.45 & 18.15

It's being shown in a rare 16mm format as the original 35mm has decayed to the point of being impossible to watch.

Might be your last chance to see it on the big screen :!:
Pgcc93
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Timchilli » Thu Apr 28, 2005 9:17 pm

caine wrote:i think some people actually want the film as a reference/archive/what ever as to what glasgow used to look like before the days of our so called "cosmopolitan" age. could be wrong though.

Get 'Comfort & Joy' on DVD for some Glasgow nostalgia.
Top film, too.

Tim.
Timchilli
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Fri Apr 29, 2005 8:06 am

john wrote:Yeah, that's why I got it too.

I'm just saying that from the point of view of a "reference/archive/what ever as to what glasgow used to look like before the days of our so called "cosmopolitan" age." its not worth buying. The stills on this thread cover all that was in the film, excluding a short section in the Gorbals.

You stick to films made by tram enthusiasts.

The reason this showing will sell out at the GFT is everybody in the West End was in it as an extra. Whilst a minority of the audience might be bemoaning the loss of the monstrosity known as the YMCA everyone else is just waiting for their screen time.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects