Death Watch

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Death Watch

Postby gap74 » Fri May 28, 2004 12:02 am

OK, here's a few stills from the DVD I got recently, would very much appreciate help in IDing some of the streets. Annoyingly, I loaned the DVD to a mate, so only have what I'd randomly saved when I first flicked through the disk..

Necropolis and Infirmary

Harv and the Cathedral

Harv in Cathedral Precinct

Infirmary again

Necropolis and Tennent's Brewery, Cathkin Braes

West George St

Charing Cross

Not at all sure, somewhere around Bothwell St? - any offers?

Off Blythswood Sq somewhere??

Not the faintest idea - love the yellow, white and green Leyland Atlantean!

St Vincent St?

Harv and Harry Dean Stanton in a swing park - not the best shot of all, all I have at hand!

The Wee Mann's pub - again, not the best shot, the pan in the film is better - 99.9% certain this is now The Clutha Vaults

Hope St, and another of those Atlanteans!

Again, not the best shot, but all I have. In the film, this looks awfully like Nico's on Sauchiehall St, but no exterior shots.

Glasgow Uni Tower from Kelvingrove car park

What fascinates me about this film is that it captures Glasgow just before it cleaned itself up, I love seeing it in all it's gritty glory, with manky old buildings just waiting for the sandblasters to come along...

Gary
gap74
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Death Watch DVD

Postby gap74 » Fri May 28, 2004 12:31 am

Thanks, got the DVD from Amazon France (http://www.amazon.fr) - fairly easy with a bit of schoolboy French, and you're already registered with them if you have an account with the UK or US one.

Just remember to look it up with the French title - La Mort en Direct or similar!

There's a making of feature on it too, mostly in French, and mastered off a battered old VHS by the looks of it, but it's quite interesting, lots of shots of the locations used, both before and after set-dressing, and good to see the interior of the GFT make an appearance too, albeit decorated in an appalling 70s way!

Gary
gap74
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby crusty_bint » Fri May 28, 2004 12:33 am

Nice pics! :D

8 & 9 are indeed on Bothwell St, the bituminous gothic looking building (in the background of 9) was the Christian Institute and YMCA... opened by Lord Shaftsbury, 1879 ::):

Crusty
here i go, it's coming for me through the trees
crusty_bint
-
-

Pic 10

Postby gap74 » Fri May 28, 2004 12:37 am

Think you're right about Garnethill, now that I look at it again - is it Rose St taken from New City Road? If it is, the lack of the new flats behind the bus threw me!

To think, I used to live a few doors along in West Graham St too!

As for the YMCA building, I was reading only recently about how it's destruction was a travesty...

Gary
gap74
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby crusty_bint » Fri May 28, 2004 12:39 am

...pic 10 is St. Aloysius in (as Dazza pointed out) GarnetHill :D
here i go, it's coming for me through the trees
crusty_bint
-
-

Postby purplegrum » Fri May 28, 2004 7:26 am

I'm sure number 8 is what is now the Britannic Asset Management building on Bothwell Street, the one that now has the Marks and Spencers on that corner of the building. The light building just showing on the right hand side of the frame is Madness.

The off blytheswood square frame I'm sure is the junction of St Vincent St and Pitt Street as you're heading up towards the Police HQ just opposite Abbey National House.

When not a poor computing student I work the summers at the Abbey National's head office so I walk Bothwell Street twice a day for three months every year!

The St Vincent Street picture I think is where Renfield St intersects St Vincent Street 'coz my Girlfriend was getting her hair cut in the Essentials Salon place which is opposite that big old closed bank (was it a bank?) in that picture - Interestingly the traffic in your picture is going the opposite way from what it does today.

PurpleG
purplegrum
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby AMcD » Fri May 28, 2004 8:17 am

Yer definitely right about the Clutha Vaults...

By total coincidence you get a really good view of the boozer in this picture of the Carrick that Dazza has just posted!

http://www.hiddenglasgow.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=8846#8846
Allan
AMcD
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re: Pic 10

Postby JayKay » Fri May 28, 2004 11:22 am

gap74 wrote:Think you're right about Garnethill, now that I look at it again - is it Rose St taken from New City Road? If it is, the lack of the new flats behind the bus threw me!

Gary

I'm pretty sure your right about this. St Aloysious and the block of flats give it away, but there have been some changes in the forground since.

By way of anecdote, which I think I've posted before, the director Bertrand Tavernier was meeting Glasga cooncil worthies during the filming and they asked him why he chose Glasgow as opposed to edinburgh. He replied that, indeed, Edinburgh was the more beautiful city, putting the noses of the city faithers a wee bit out of joint until he added but Glasgow..it is so much more dramatic.

BTW the film is called La Mort en direct in French, available from fnac.fr. 28 Euros.
JayKay
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

pic 10

Postby fergussmith » Fri May 28, 2004 11:36 am

These pictures are amazing, I've never heard of this film but must get a copy. Yes, pic 10 is Rose Street from New City Road, interesing to see Milton Presbyterian Church at the corner of West Graham St, demolished in the 1990s and now to be the site of a new housing development (grab a bit of railing while you can!). You can also see the tenement block that stood on the site of the new(ish) Garnethill Park on the corner of Rose St and Hill Street.
fergussmith
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby duncan » Fri May 28, 2004 11:38 am

excellent pics, looks really weird seeing harvey keitel and harry dean stanton in glasgow. got any screengrabs with max von sydow in them? that one on st vincent street is looking up towards the greek thomson church
duncan
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby james73 » Fri May 28, 2004 12:00 pm

I've never even heard of this film :oops: - what's it aboot? A couple
of American gangsters in Glasgae? When was it made? Early 80's?

BTW, that pub shot definatley *looks* like Nico's.

James H
He's over there...
james73
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby dazza » Fri May 28, 2004 12:47 pm

james73 wrote:I've never even heard of this film :oops: - what's it aboot? A couple
of American gangsters in Glasgae?

"In a future where all illness has been abolished, Katherine Mortenhoe, an author of computer-written romantic novels, is diagnosed with a terminally incurable illness. She immediately becomes the subject of curiosity with all the tv networks wanting to buy the exclusive rights to her death. Running away from the cameras and curiosity seekers, she heads to a remote area of countryside. She is helped by Roddy, a man she meets and comes to fall in love with. But unbeknown to her, he is really a tv reporter with cameras secretly built into his eyes, and her condition only a hoax created by the tv networks as a ratings gimmick."
dazza
-
-

Postby DMcNay » Fri May 28, 2004 12:58 pm

Sounds like a lot of p1sh tae me... ::):
Too few hours in the day.
DMcNay
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby duncan » Fri May 28, 2004 1:17 pm

duncan
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Gazzathecoigne » Fri May 28, 2004 3:52 pm

Excellent pics. I like the big American car going past the Clutha.
If no body's perfect, why practise?
Gazzathecoigne
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Next

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects