Clocks

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Postby Timchilli » Fri Aug 20, 2004 11:13 am

The Modern Fossil wrote:Image

This clock has always annoyed me -- I used to get the #44 bus home from school just about every day and I always assumed it was accurate. It took me 3 years to realise it wasn't working.

Tim.
User avatar
Timchilli
Second Stripe
Second Stripe
 
Posts: 373
Joined: Fri May 21, 2004 4:28 pm
Location: Glasgow

Postby JamesMc » Fri Sep 10, 2004 8:58 am

Clock on The Pearce Institute, Govan. Soon to be featured in doors open day. The PI was shut for a wee while, but slowly being refurbished bit by bit, so the caretaker told me. I'll need to drop in that weekend to take a look.

Image

JamesMc.
I see dead buildings...
User avatar
JamesMc
Second Stripe
Second Stripe
 
Posts: 286
Joined: Sun Jul 11, 2004 3:41 pm
Location: Glasgow

Postby Fossil » Thu Sep 23, 2004 11:29 pm

Stockwell st Corner
Image

Fossil
Bum tit tit bum tit tit play yer hairy banjo
User avatar
Fossil
-
-
 
Posts: 12311
Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2004 12:07 am
Location: Pitt Street

Postby Fossil » Sat Sep 25, 2004 11:39 am

Hospital Clock
Image

Fossil
Bum tit tit bum tit tit play yer hairy banjo
User avatar
Fossil
-
-
 
Posts: 12311
Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2004 12:07 am
Location: Pitt Street

Postby ant » Sat Sep 25, 2004 2:36 pm

An interesting building with a clock tower is at the top of Castle St. I don't know if it belongs to the Royal Infirmary but it has some lovely carvings and sculptures and interesting " Shop fronts." In Edinburgh it would probably be cherished, in Glasgow it has remained derelict for as long as I can remember.
ant
Busy bunny
Busy bunny
 
Posts: 24
Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2004 9:58 pm

Postby Gazzathecoigne » Mon Sep 27, 2004 5:30 pm

Image
If no body's perfect, why practise?
User avatar
Gazzathecoigne
Third Stripe
Third Stripe
 
Posts: 416
Joined: Fri May 21, 2004 12:23 am
Location: Back in Anderston

Postby Apollo » Thu Sep 30, 2004 12:02 am

Survivor from the old markets on the Gallowate:

Image
User avatar
Apollo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe
 
Posts: 2283
Joined: Sun May 09, 2004 10:26 pm
Location: Glasgow

westclox Big Ben

Postby Pgcc93 » Mon Nov 07, 2005 10:23 pm

Not a big clock by any means but It's Big Ben by Westclox c.1970's

Everybody had one of these or similar prior to advent of the digital variety taking over in the 1980's.

It was for sale on Byres Road for £22!! fuck off! it's palstic, maybe if it had a silver hallmark.
On the other hand the Caithness Glass Butt Plug (with handle) was getting a lot of attention at an affordable £9. ::):

Image
User avatar
Pgcc93
Third Stripe
Third Stripe
 
Posts: 4104
Joined: Thu Jul 24, 2003 8:12 pm
Location: Hotel Du Vin

Postby Fat Cat » Tue Nov 08, 2005 11:34 am

ant wrote:An interesting building with a clock tower is at the top of Castle St. I don't know if it belongs to the Royal Infirmary but it has some lovely carvings and sculptures and interesting " Shop fronts." In Edinburgh it would probably be cherished, in Glasgow it has remained derelict for as long as I can remember.


Think you're talking about the Blind Asylum. It was part of the Royal but they've sold it on. Not sure who to. They had the clock up and running for a wee while but like everything in the NHS they let it go to pot.
User avatar
Fat Cat
Third Stripe
Third Stripe
 
Posts: 840
Joined: Wed Feb 09, 2005 3:09 pm
Location: Glasgow

Postby Mori » Tue Nov 08, 2005 11:58 am

Bothwell st

Image
User avatar
Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe
 
Posts: 3434
Joined: Wed May 04, 2005 1:05 pm
Location: Glasgow

Re: westclox Big Ben

Postby My Kitten » Tue Nov 08, 2005 6:51 pm

Pgcc93 wrote:Not a big clock by any means but It's Big Ben by Westclox c.1970's


I nearly bought one the other day as a present for my stay in dumbarton since they were made round these parts. But then sanity kicked in
User avatar
My Kitten
Third Stripe
Third Stripe
 
Posts: 6105
Joined: Sun Feb 15, 2004 10:10 am

Postby Schiehallion » Tue Nov 08, 2005 8:22 pm

Modern Fossil wrote:Cathcart Road
Image

-Fossil-


Do you ever look at a picture, point at the monitor and declare authoritatively "that's no there" cos you pass there all the time and it's never been there so you jump in the car and drive round the road and you go "oh it is there right enough". No, me neither. :roll:
User avatar
Schiehallion
Third Stripe
Third Stripe
 
Posts: 1625
Joined: Sat Mar 20, 2004 9:32 pm

Postby Mori » Tue Nov 08, 2005 9:09 pm

Anybody remember the Big Digital clock on the gable end of the old Co-op Hypermarket building @ Morrison St, it was up there during the late 70's and 80's untill it fell in to disrepair..they ended up taking it down before the new extension of flats got built there.. it coud be seen as you were getting on to the Kingston Bridge.. gave the city quite a futuristic flair when it was first put up. :)
User avatar
Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe
 
Posts: 3434
Joined: Wed May 04, 2005 1:05 pm
Location: Glasgow

Postby skintobalinto » Tue Nov 08, 2005 9:18 pm

Mori wrote:Anybody remember the Big Digital clock on the gable end of the old Co-op Hypermarket building @ Morrison St, it was up there during the late 70's and 80's untill it fell in to disrepair..they ended up taking it down before the new extension of flats got built there.. it coud be seen as you were getting on to the Kingston Bridge.. gave the city quite a futuristic flair when it was first put up. :)


Did they not replace that with a countdown clock to the opening of the Glasgow Garden festival.
User avatar
skintobalinto
Second Stripe
Second Stripe
 
Posts: 245
Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2004 9:55 pm
Location: South Side

Postby Mori » Tue Nov 08, 2005 9:24 pm

skintobalinto wrote:
Mori wrote:Anybody remember the Big Digital clock on the gable end of the old Co-op Hypermarket building @ Morrison St, it was up there during the late 70's and 80's untill it fell in to disrepair..they ended up taking it down before the new extension of flats got built there.. it coud be seen as you were getting on to the Kingston Bridge.. gave the city quite a futuristic flair when it was first put up. :)


Did they not replace that with a countdown clock to the opening of the Glasgow Garden festival.


Aye thats right i totaly forgot about that :) well rememberd :wink:
User avatar
Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe
 
Posts: 3434
Joined: Wed May 04, 2005 1:05 pm
Location: Glasgow

PreviousNext

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 13 guests

cron