Clocks

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Postby Timchilli » Fri Aug 20, 2004 11:13 am

The Modern Fossil wrote:Image

This clock has always annoyed me -- I used to get the #44 bus home from school just about every day and I always assumed it was accurate. It took me 3 years to realise it wasn't working.

Tim.
Timchilli
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby JamesMc » Fri Sep 10, 2004 8:58 am

Clock on The Pearce Institute, Govan. Soon to be featured in doors open day. The PI was shut for a wee while, but slowly being refurbished bit by bit, so the caretaker told me. I'll need to drop in that weekend to take a look.

JamesMc.
I see dead buildings...
JamesMc
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Fossil » Thu Sep 23, 2004 11:29 pm

Stockwell st Corner

Fossil
Bum tit tit bum tit tit play yer hairy banjo
Fossil
-
-

Postby Fossil » Sat Sep 25, 2004 11:39 am

Hospital Clock

Fossil
Bum tit tit bum tit tit play yer hairy banjo
Fossil
-
-

Postby ant » Sat Sep 25, 2004 2:36 pm

An interesting building with a clock tower is at the top of Castle St. I don't know if it belongs to the Royal Infirmary but it has some lovely carvings and sculptures and interesting " Shop fronts." In Edinburgh it would probably be cherished, in Glasgow it has remained derelict for as long as I can remember.
ant
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby Gazzathecoigne » Mon Sep 27, 2004 5:30 pm

If no body's perfect, why practise?
Gazzathecoigne
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Apollo » Thu Sep 30, 2004 12:02 am

Survivor from the old markets on the Gallowate:

Apollo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

westclox Big Ben

Postby Pgcc93 » Mon Nov 07, 2005 10:23 pm

Not a big clock by any means but It's Big Ben by Westclox c.1970's

Everybody had one of these or similar prior to advent of the digital variety taking over in the 1980's.

It was for sale on Byres Road for £22!! fuck off! it's palstic, maybe if it had a silver hallmark.
On the other hand the Caithness Glass Butt Plug (with handle) was getting a lot of attention at an affordable £9. ::):

Pgcc93
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Fat Cat » Tue Nov 08, 2005 11:34 am

ant wrote:An interesting building with a clock tower is at the top of Castle St. I don't know if it belongs to the Royal Infirmary but it has some lovely carvings and sculptures and interesting " Shop fronts." In Edinburgh it would probably be cherished, in Glasgow it has remained derelict for as long as I can remember.

Think you're talking about the Blind Asylum. It was part of the Royal but they've sold it on. Not sure who to. They had the clock up and running for a wee while but like everything in the NHS they let it go to pot.
Fat Cat
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Mori » Tue Nov 08, 2005 11:58 am

Bothwell st

Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re: westclox Big Ben

Postby My Kitten » Tue Nov 08, 2005 6:51 pm

Pgcc93 wrote:Not a big clock by any means but It's Big Ben by Westclox c.1970's

I nearly bought one the other day as a present for my stay in dumbarton since they were made round these parts. But then sanity kicked in
My Kitten
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Schiehallion » Tue Nov 08, 2005 8:22 pm

Modern Fossil wrote:Cathcart Road

-Fossil-

Do you ever look at a picture, point at the monitor and declare authoritatively "that's no there" cos you pass there all the time and it's never been there so you jump in the car and drive round the road and you go "oh it is there right enough". No, me neither. :roll:
Schiehallion
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Mori » Tue Nov 08, 2005 9:09 pm

Anybody remember the Big Digital clock on the gable end of the old Co-op Hypermarket building @ Morrison St, it was up there during the late 70's and 80's untill it fell in to disrepair..they ended up taking it down before the new extension of flats got built there.. it coud be seen as you were getting on to the Kingston Bridge.. gave the city quite a futuristic flair when it was first put up. :)
Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby skintobalinto » Tue Nov 08, 2005 9:18 pm

Mori wrote:Anybody remember the Big Digital clock on the gable end of the old Co-op Hypermarket building @ Morrison St, it was up there during the late 70's and 80's untill it fell in to disrepair..they ended up taking it down before the new extension of flats got built there.. it coud be seen as you were getting on to the Kingston Bridge.. gave the city quite a futuristic flair when it was first put up. :)

Did they not replace that with a countdown clock to the opening of the Glasgow Garden festival.
skintobalinto
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Mori » Tue Nov 08, 2005 9:24 pm

skintobalinto wrote:
Mori wrote:Anybody remember the Big Digital clock on the gable end of the old Co-op Hypermarket building @ Morrison St, it was up there during the late 70's and 80's untill it fell in to disrepair..they ended up taking it down before the new extension of flats got built there.. it coud be seen as you were getting on to the Kingston Bridge.. gave the city quite a futuristic flair when it was first put up. :)

Did they not replace that with a countdown clock to the opening of the Glasgow Garden festival.

Aye thats right i totaly forgot about that :) well rememberd :wink:
Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects