Clocks

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Postby Peekay » Wed Nov 22, 2006 11:40 pm

Josef wrote:
Peekay wrote:A few cones, a couple of yellow jackets, a ladder, a spanner, a few quid and i'll have that in hanging in your kitchen before you can say "What's the time Mr Wolf?"

PK

PS-I'll supply the cones, jackets, ladder and spanner. You deal with the few quid!

8O

A handy man to know, obviously :wink: .

No-one will question a man in official kinda clothes! It's what we've been brainwashed not to do, be it a police uniform, a security guard uniform or even a shiny yellow jacket. We, as an urban species, just don't suspect it. We see so many every day and walk past without a glance. The problem is having both the balls and being able not to burst out laughing and fall off the ladder while you're doing it!

PK
Peekay
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Josef » Wed Nov 22, 2006 11:54 pm

Peekay wrote:No-one will question a man in official kinda clothes! It's what we've been brainwashed not to do, be it a police uniform, a security guard uniform or even a shiny yellow jacket. We, as an urban species, just don't suspect it. We see so many every day and walk past without a glance. The problem is having both the balls and being able not to burst out laughing and fall off the ladder while you're doing it!

PK

And there lies the knack, I suppose :) . I did read an article recently that said the rising number of cyclist casualties on the road was at least partly attributable to their wearing of high-visibility clothing. The author reckoned that fluorescent jackets, in effect, render their wearer 'invisible' to the general public. 'Poster blindness' of people.
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby potatojunkie » Fri Dec 22, 2006 4:28 am

The wee clock tower at Charing Cross sits at quite a jaunty angle now. "Erected by public subscription, 1896". I need to go back and get some better shots, it has quite a lot of info on it, and a fair amount of charm.

I know this one's been done before, but I love how it looks in the wonky windows of the office opposite:

A project I've had in mind for a while was to go out and collect Glasgow clock faces at two minutes to midnight, but obviously this would involve a) getting one picture a night or b) being clever, noticing how much they're off by with respect to each other, and running fast. Anyone fancy helping out? It'd make life a lot easier.
potatojunkie
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby AlanM » Fri Dec 22, 2006 10:08 am

Maybe be able to get some Maiden fans to lend a hand ::):
Who needs a six pack....when you've got a keg!!!
AlanM
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby gordon » Fri Dec 22, 2006 11:21 am

Maiden?!?!?

I'm in! Twice!
Malcolm Tucker is always right.
gordon
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby HollowHorn » Fri Jan 05, 2007 8:40 pm

Pollokshaws Hall, Pollokshaws Rd.
HollowHorn
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Shettleston Police Station

Postby Alex Glass » Wed Jan 31, 2007 12:25 pm

Alex Glass
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re: Clocks

Postby Mori » Mon Jan 05, 2009 2:33 pm

ET

Old timers clock off

THEY were built with a simple practical purpose in mind - to allow people to tell the time. But anybody relying on some of Glasgow's public clocks could end up very confused ... because many have stopped.

Now calls are growing to save our clocks - before time runs out.
In the days before wrist watches were common, Town Hall clocks occupied prominent positions in communities across the country.
There was an old-fashioned sense of civic pride in keeping the clocks in perfect working order.
Workers used to painstakingly climb the clock towers - usually once a week - to set the traditional cog mechanism.
But with people increasingly using mobile phones or wrist watches to tell the time, many public clocks have been neglected.
City heritage experts say the main problem is that most public clocks are now in private ownership, with some buildings having multiple owners.

Image Image

Image Image Image
Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re:

Postby mrsam » Tue Jan 13, 2009 4:18 pm

potatojunkie wrote:A project I've had in mind for a while was to go out and collect Glasgow clock faces at two minutes to midnight, but obviously this would involve a) getting one picture a night or b) being clever, noticing how much they're off by with respect to each other, and running fast. Anyone fancy helping out? It'd make life a lot easier.

Scuse my ingorance :roll: but with it being an analogue clock would you not get 2 shots at each clock one at lunchtime and one at night 8) so you get to chances butif you were being thorough then you would need 2 pics per clock 8O

Just a thought

Mr Sam
Hmmm I wonder what happens if i press that lever.... Ahh It operates that shiny new plug socket!

www..photobucket.com/albums/ll103/thecuriocollector

www..photobucket.com/albums/v195/tarbat2003
mrsam
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Previous

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects