Ginger

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Ginger

Postby Mori » Sun Jan 27, 2008 2:25 pm

There have been several companies in glasgow that have made their fortunes from Ginger=(Any carbonated soft drink),
we have often refered it to Skoosh = (Any fizzy soft drink)

We have of course the Famous AG Barrs that served the city for many years until they recently relocated to the outskirts. there was also others that manufactured Ginger and employed many workers throughout the city.

One i can remember was Barries on maxwell road during the seventies and another in the east end Dunns i think.

Dedicating this thread to the GINGER.

Glasgow Story

Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re: Ginger

Postby skintobalinto » Sun Jan 27, 2008 2:49 pm

I remember Garvies Lemonade and Limeade. My uncle used to have an Ice Cream van and I remember crates of the stuff in his house and helping him make up 10p mix bags.
Where the music stinks, and they water the drinks, ...at the nudie bar
skintobalinto
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby crazygray23 » Sun Jan 27, 2008 4:10 pm

we had the `solripe man` round our way `drumoyne` but im talking mid 80s then when i returned to drumoyne 8 years ago we had stuff delivered from `dunns` as i remember the fizzy orange was magic and mixed with ice cream it made a fantastic drink
crazygray23
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Mori » Sun Jan 27, 2008 4:44 pm

I remember Icepoles and Jublees made by barries from my local italian cafe. :D
Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Schiehallion » Sun Jan 27, 2008 5:44 pm

Two big makers outside Glasgow were Robertson's of Springwell and Struther's of Lochwinnoch.
Schiehallion
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby BTJustice » Sun Jan 27, 2008 5:48 pm

In the 80's I grew up with bottles of green orange and dark brown liquids which were delivered to the doorstep by the Alpine truck.
Amazing how it hasnt kept going given that there was zero waste as you left the empties out for re-fillng.
Maybe something to do with it tasting like pish.
My all new film location website is here;
www.rewoundandfound.com

Check oot ma flickr page;
http://www.flickr.com/photos/route9autos/

For handmade jewellery, go to:
http://www.weegemjo.co.uk
BTJustice
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Schiehallion » Sun Jan 27, 2008 6:20 pm

BTJustice wrote:Maybe something to do with it tasting like pish.

Not half as pish as Soda Stream. Everyone stopped buying ginger for 6 months when that hit the streets. Then we saw sense and renewed our love affair with the real McCoy, burying our Soda Stream makers in a cupboard. Mind you couldn't resist giving it one extra blast of the CO2.
Schiehallion
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby engineer » Mon Jan 28, 2008 8:28 am

i remember alpine ginger well, and bon accord too. the bon accord was delivered by a squad of neds riding round on a flat bed truck. they would bound off the truck (before it had stopped, naturally), hammer your door and say 'GINGER?' when your maw answered it.
i remember going out to teh lochgilphead area and you couldn't get barrs juice there, only garvies

best thing with soda stream was to use far more than the prescribed 3 skooshes of syrup. still pretty shite though
engineer
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby onyirtodd » Mon Jan 28, 2008 10:16 am

In the early 60s there was a sweetie shop/ newsagent/ grocers on Kent Rd, where the wee park is now, which sold all the stuff an 8 year old needed for everyday life; the Beano, bags of broken biscuits, tipped singles and a particularly emetic brand of pineappleade.

Guaranteed day off school every time :D
238 to 127. All in all a good afternoon's work
onyirtodd
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby THA G-MAN » Mon Jan 28, 2008 11:11 am

dunn and moore used to be on london road just along from bridgeton cross,and by the way is it just east-enders who call ginger JEG?!?!!
THA G-MAN
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby invy » Mon Jan 28, 2008 11:19 am

TGM - snap! You posted whilst I was doing a GIS for a pic of Dunn and Moore - remember it well, my sister used to work in the offices there back in the 70s. The lemonade was crap and I'm sure they did an 'iron brew' as well which was equally bad.

We had Alpine as well but they just seemed to stop coming after a while, dad's probably still got the empties out in the garage waiting for them to come back ::):

We didn't have a sodastream, instead we got the cascade but it was pretty much the same - I think I did the gas canister in after about ten bottles :oops: Had to save up for a couple of weeks to get a replacement from Boots in Union Street!

-Jim
That'll be Fife I can see from the window :)
invy
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby THA G-MAN » Mon Jan 28, 2008 11:29 am

And what about Dunns-ade? An orange liquid that really did taste of iron!
THA G-MAN
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby invy » Mon Jan 28, 2008 11:31 am

Oh I think that's the stuff I was thinking of :)

-Jim
That'll be Fife I can see from the window :)
invy
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Robertsons of Springwell

Postby Cyclo2000 » Mon Jan 28, 2008 2:47 pm

Springwell was on the road between High Blantyre and Blantyre, on the right hand side. I believe they got bought out by Barrs who promptly closed down the yard. It had been there since 1900 at least.
On a Sunday my dad used to send me to the shops for two bottles of ginger (returning the previous weeks for a refund on the deposit of course). Always the same two bottles, one of Barrs Iron Bru and one of Robertsons 5 Star Auld Scots Ginger Beer.
I remember Alpine very well, it was one of those home delivery services that has died out as we've all moved into security controlled flats. As someone has already pointed out, along with the milk delivery service it really was incredibly enviromentally sound as you returned your bottles (as every publican used to with their beer empties) for reuse. Also it was very cheap, you got a litre for 50p. the bottles were incredibly thick with heavy ribbing round 'em. Really, where I grew up you hardly had to go out the estate to get everything you needed as the grocers van, greengrocers van, bakers and butchers wagons, rag and bone fella with his horse and cart and even a "mini market" van called nearly everyday and on a Saturday the Cream Boy (usually a sweating adolescent) came round with his two buckets of cream, one single one double. Can you imagine that now?

Here is a picture of a Jubbly
http://www.lightstraw.co.uk/faded/f_jubblyoj.gif

And I found this
http://www.blantyre.biz/RobertsonsGingerCairt.htm
Alter Aterius Auxilio Veget
Cyclo2000
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Mori » Mon Jan 28, 2008 4:02 pm

And when was the last time you got a group of wee guys up at your door saying "Ye goat Any Gingies ye don't want"

The Gless Check Appreciation Society ::):
Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Next

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects