WANTED!! Ideas for new projects....

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

It's out there

Postby Ellis Island » Sat Oct 11, 2003 7:44 pm

I'm looking for the hoily grail of Urban exploration. I've been to Lennox castle and climbed the fire escape. Been to cardross and stood on the altar. Been through Botanics, under yorkhill, under kelvingrove and been up to an old military hospital near drymen (bit poo that one) Got pics of Lennox and Cardross but as there are some up mine's seem dull.
I've yet to do Dawsholm(?) gasworks tunnels and i still need to go further through the kelvingrove line- flooded. I know it comes out at the secc line but it also links up to the blocked off end of the yorkhill line. I want to explore.
I never understood what 'No Entry' meant.
Ellis Island
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

The holy grail.

Postby turbozutek » Tue Oct 21, 2003 5:08 pm

Here's a good one -

Stood in the Occupational Therapy wing of Gartloch Insane Asylum. Leather chair and ECT machine at the ready.

No such luck now though as they have started to strip it for flats ! :-(

Chris...
turbozutek
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re: It's out there

Postby caine » Wed Oct 22, 2003 3:08 pm

Ellis Island wrote:I'm looking for the hoily grail of Urban exploration. I've been to Lennox castle and climbed the fire escape. Been to cardross and stood on the altar. Been through Botanics, under yorkhill, under kelvingrove and been up to an old military hospital near drymen (bit poo that one) Got pics of Lennox and Cardross but as there are some up mine's seem dull.
I've yet to do Dawsholm(?) gasworks tunnels and i still need to go further through the kelvingrove line- flooded. I know it comes out at the secc line but it also links up to the blocked off end of the yorkhill line. I want to explore.

re: the yorkhill line. i think i know where its suposed to come out, but as we know its blocked off. it certainly looks as though it did link up with the kelvin grove line down at the secc.
caine
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Mudoken » Thu Nov 27, 2003 4:40 pm

I just join today cause i have a project thing and it's good or it could be

my project is a "WAR" a big battle to go down in history like with the romans, english, vikings...etc

there hasn't been a war in scotland in ages

only it's different now, we arn't all farmers in wool, it can be a fancy dress war with elf's, monks and even bad guys
Boo
Mudoken
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby johnybags » Tue Dec 16, 2003 3:12 pm

There's Shawfield jnrs old footy ground - which i beleive was blocked off because of toxic chemicals being found there...........
johnybags
Just settling in
Just settling in

Queen Street tunnels

Postby alanmac » Mon Jan 19, 2004 4:00 pm

I worked in a shop in Queen Street in the early nineties. It was a basement level shop with a not very legal 'fire escape' that was an old tunnel that supposably went all the way up to around where Goldbergs used to be.
I only went 20 yards or so into the tunnel as it was very dark / narrow / full of rats & spiders 8O but I was told at the time it was part of a network of old foundations of the 'old glasgow' that were built on top of.

Sorry its a bit vague, but there's definately something there, several of the shops in Queens street used these tunnels as store rooms.

Does anyone have any info on these? Possibly at the other end (Merchant city side?)
alanmac
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby Sharon » Fri Jan 23, 2004 2:55 pm

Definately!

I've actually got a few tucked away somewhere... and I know theres some photography to be done in tradeston, well ASAP!

We should have a day at it really, and try and capture whats still clinging faded to the walls.
Beware of yawning dogs.
Sharon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Sharon » Fri Jan 23, 2004 3:13 pm

I should really say, collaboration on projects is definately welcomed and encouraged.

Its more fun to have comapny!!
Beware of yawning dogs.
Sharon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Collaboration - painted adverts

Postby Ronnie » Fri Jan 23, 2004 6:14 pm

Count me in - I'd love to join you in a day's photographing advertisements on gable ends, walls etc. If anybody is interested in doing the same with burying grounds, I'd be happy to organise a wee trip round the boneyards.
Best, Ronnie
Ronnie
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby escotregen » Wed Jan 28, 2004 8:01 pm

I'm up for a day on this. I quite happy to go with the flow of what others want to do, but something I would quite like to include is some of the old carving above and around door entrances. I was slouching against a wall (waiting for a bus) in Union Street the other evening when I realised I was actually leaning on some of the surviving frieze works of the Greek Thompson warehouse. There are also the Herculean statues at the entrance of Frazers, but also many, many, other small but significant pieces.
escotregen
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re: Collaboration - painted adverts

Postby crusty_bint » Sun Feb 01, 2004 10:46 pm

Ronnie wrote:Count me in - I'd love to join you in a day's photographing advertisements on gable ends, walls etc. If anybody is interested in doing the same with burying grounds, I'd be happy to organise a wee trip round the boneyards.

Theres an advert on a gable on Wellshot Rd. It only uncovered itself about two years ago when the coat of pebble dash covering it fell off!
If it's graveyards your interested in, theres one at the top of Shettleston Rd. It sits between two tenements, surrounded by an eight foot wall and is gated, but its supposed to date back to the 17th/18th century and is permeated with underground crypts. It was closed off in the seventies but the gate is easily scaled... might be worth a look?
crusty_bint
-
-

burying ground

Postby Ronnie » Sun Feb 01, 2004 11:53 pm

Hi Crusty
Is this Shettleston Churchyard, at 1401 Shettleston Road? If it is, then it was opened in 1752. There are no known burial registers for this ground, but there is a list of memorial inscriptions in the Mitchell Library.
Oddly enough, I was over in the east end today, but nearer Parkhead Cross, unfortunately too dark and wet to have a look round Janefield, but that's an outing for another day, and I can include the one you mention as well. Thanks for the info.
Best, Ronnie

BTW - My 15 minutes of fame:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/3253588.stm
Ronnie
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby escotregen » Mon Feb 02, 2004 9:22 am

Ronnie, as I know you are interested in graveyards, can I make sure you know of the 'other' old Tollcross cemetery. I think its off Tollcross Road between Corbett Street and Causwayside Street (Crusty and I have been exchanging on this site on another thread). This is a very old graveyard that was attached to the early 18th century substantial church that stood on the site. We did try to save the church when it became redundant in the late 1980s. Unfortunatly the Church of Scotland trustees in Edinburgh (not the local ex-congregation members) were a lousy negative lot to deal with and the choose to sell off to a local well known... ahem... well.. 'businessman'. After a mysterious (?) fire gutted the main church building which had been allegedly stripped of all its artifacts and fittings, the businessman lost interest. Due to excellent work by Eleanor McCallister, then of the Glasgow Preservation Trust, and the Glasgow District Council, at least the original church steeple was saved and remains. The graveyard, despite its age, is still in use and I know I have at least a couple of distance relatives buried there in the 1980s.
escotregen
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Projects for hidden glasgow

Postby Fossil » Mon Feb 09, 2004 9:51 pm

Dont know if this sound boring but how about bowling clubs? It does'ent matter where you go in and around Glasgow but you will always find Bowling clubs. They always seem to me to be stuck in a timewarp.
(Well the bevvies cheep i suppose)

Anyone got info on bowing greens and how they got the land in the first place?

cheers
Bum tit tit bum tit tit play yer hairy banjo
Fossil
-
-

Postby My Kitten » Sun Feb 15, 2004 10:28 am

Seemingly there are tunnels around the site of the old Collins' factory at townhead. My mum worked there and said they used to take shortcuts to other parts of the factory and go for a fag. I dont know if they link to the Royal???

Also what about the old dance halls - such as Dennistoun Palais - now Somerfield!!.
My Kitten
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects