WANTED!! Ideas for new projects....

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: WANTED!! Ideas for new projects....

Postby The Mighty R I D E » Thu Aug 13, 2009 7:51 pm

is it like dragins den?
inventins 4 getin rid o dabs ::): fuckin minted wy that idea ::): ::): ::): ::): ::): ::):
The Mighty R I D E
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby HollowHorn » Thu Aug 13, 2009 8:36 pm

Cyclo2000 wrote:Yes okay, I'm a dick.

You are the Mighty RIDE & I claim my my sacs of coins.
HollowHorn
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby HollowHorn » Tue Aug 18, 2009 10:07 pm

I'd like to start one on Glasgow Cathedral, I've searched and could not find any project of that name. Does anyone have evidence of one before I start posting?
HollowHorn
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Josef » Tue Aug 18, 2009 10:18 pm

Nope, I reckon you're fine there. Post away, HH.
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby calamity » Thu Dec 31, 2009 12:29 pm

dont know if been mentioned yet but ah fancy seeing in the David Dale College in Broad st. and the old church round the corner in Brook st.. what about the old church house at the top of Brook st, and Crownpoint road, I think its still there.. but Id love to get into Whitevale Baths..
calamity
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby albaforever » Mon Jan 04, 2010 8:58 pm

This may have been suggested or be a combination of previous ideas. What about a section devoted to Glasgow dance halls with pictures uploaded as you were then (no recent photos for privacy reasons) so as to easily identify past friends. Could include public and private dance halls/clubs. This was a past time enjoyed by most Glaswegians. People could use either first names or nicknames and include a small synopis of where and what they were then and where they are now.
albaforever
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby Josef » Mon Jan 04, 2010 9:21 pm

albaforever wrote:This may have been suggested or be a combination of previous ideas. What about a section devoted to Glasgow dance halls with pictures uploaded as you were then (no recent photos for privacy reasons) so as to easily identify past friends. Could include public and private dance halls/clubs. This was a past time enjoyed by most Glaswegians. People could use either first names or nicknames and include a small synopis of where and what they were then and where they are now.

The Glasgow dance halls thing is a great idea, alba. If you have any photos in that line then that would be excellent, and you are more than welcome to start a thread with them.

The people thing though... it tends to get bogged down in 'McGlumpher Street - anyone remember wee Jeanie MacKay from number 52?', which is good if you're one of the three people who do, but off-putting for everyone else. There're a number of other sites that are much better at that than HG is, to be honest.
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Mon Jan 04, 2010 11:54 pm

Josef wrote:
The people thing though... it tends to get bogged down in 'McGlumpher Street - anyone remember wee Jeanie MacKay from number 52?', which is good if you're one of the three people who do, but off-putting for everyone else. There're a number of other sites that are much better at that than HG is, to be honest.

Glasgow Guide

"I before E, except after C" works in most cases but there are exceptions.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby tenaciousd1971 » Fri Jan 15, 2010 8:15 pm

Hi,

As this is my first post, hello to everybody.

A quick introduction of myself: I work as a self-employed environmental consultant and as such do desktop studies for large planning organizations and architects, which involves among other things, researching the history of sites which are earmarked for development / redevelopment. This research is carried out mostly at the Mitchell Library Map Room, inspecting and interpreting detailed Ordnance Survey National Grid and maps, and sometimes the occasional trip through to the National Library of Scotland in Edinburgh. Most of the sites are in urban settings (Brownfield) and as such have a legacy of contamination issues from mostly arising from industries such as 'coal mining', 'iron works', 'brick works', 'gas works', etc...

Getting to the point of the topic, If you would like to know the history of where you or a friend / family live, or where you once lived, then drop a line to [email protected] indicating a place name and / or postcode and I shall endeavor to provide a textual history of the area in question.

regards.

TD71
tenaciousd1971
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby rabmania » Fri Jan 15, 2010 10:10 pm

tenaciousd1971 wrote:Hi,

As this is my first post, hello to everybody.

A quick introduction of myself: I work as a self-employed environmental consultant and as such do desktop studies for large planning organizations and architects, which involves among other things, researching the history of sites which are earmarked for development / redevelopment. This research is carried out mostly at the Mitchell Library Map Room, inspecting and interpreting detailed Ordnance Survey National Grid and maps, and sometimes the occasional trip through to the National Library of Scotland in Edinburgh. Most of the sites are in urban settings (Brownfield) and as such have a legacy of contamination issues from mostly arising from industries such as 'coal mining', 'iron works', 'brick works', 'gas works', etc...

Getting to the point of the topic, If you would like to know the history of where you or a friend / family live, or where you once lived, then drop a line to [email protected] indicating a place name and / or postcode and I shall endeavor to provide a textual history of the area in question.

regards.

TD71

If at first you don't succeed...
rabmania
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

ATLANTIC MILLS Bridgeton

Postby dokk » Tue Feb 02, 2010 4:58 pm

Hi I was just surfing/researching & I noticed you were discussing the Atlantic Mills in Bridgeton....I have a personal Diary from 1853 & I believe it belonged to one of the Anderson Brothers who owned the mill,,it is volume 2 and has about 117 pages of his expoits in America..a lot of the words I can't make out but I can't find any info other than the "Glasgow Story" info(which is more or less nothing!!)...if you can give me any other info I would be grateful...during the next week I will visit the Bridgeton Library & see if they have any info...it,s a fascinating read
dokk
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby HollowHorn » Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:27 pm

So, how long do you think it will take you to get it all scanned & posted? :D
HollowHorn
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby dokk » Tue Feb 02, 2010 8:33 pm

Dunno! Don't have a scanner! & wouldn't know what to do with it if I had one...but I'll think of something 8O
dokk
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby HollowHorn » Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:05 pm

Dokk, if you mean the one in Walkinshaw St. There are 13 photos here:

http://canmore.rcahms.gov.uk/en/site/17 ... al_images/
Last edited by HollowHorn on Wed Feb 03, 2010 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HollowHorn
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby dokk » Wed Feb 03, 2010 8:36 am

It's nice to see actual pics of it...was once the largest in Bridgeton area...700 Looms!..thanx for the pics. :D
dokk
Just settling in
Just settling in

PreviousNext

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects