WANTED!! Ideas for new projects....

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: WANTED!! Ideas for new projects....

Postby w00dsmoke » Wed Nov 12, 2008 8:36 pm

I spoke to a colleague who worked for the MOD in Kentigern house for many years. I was informed there are 7 MOD buildings within Glasgow City Centre. Kentigern House has a bunker in the basement and the whole building has positive pressure air system to keep out nasties. In addition to this there is a small albeit functional range within the building and a tunnel connecting it to another building which was not mentioned. This is 100% genuine source who spent many many years working wihtin the building.
w00dsmoke
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby enailer » Sat Nov 15, 2008 11:21 am

Did????
Any of the good people in here ever get "HUCKLED" just for LOOKING????
Hmmm! I wonder.
I was born in 1960 @ Easterhill Place Tollcross Glasgow. I was subsequently "overspilled to Hell on Earth or as it is still called "Cumbernauld" Wherein I managed to escape back to The Second City.
Since the return I have managed to get HUCKLED no less than 22 times for my "foraging through the past of the End of Glasgow Old Power Stations (Dalmarnock) Steelworks (Stewart and LLoyds Collvilles etc) I love it
If anyone needs a Co conspirator for an adventure get in touch PLEEEEEEEESSE
Douglas(the mole)
Lookin out through a Whisky coloured haze
enailer
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby rondo » Fri Jan 16, 2009 7:18 pm

hi id like to see more sightseeing buses that go round the sites that arnt so popular the sites like the history of how easterhoose came about the monklands canel and its areas the cally were the trains were built etc the bus that goes aroun just now is brill and seeing the cathadrel etc is brill but its only glossing over all the real history am a big fan of finding out the nitty gritty about towns about how they are connected etc like why edingburghs the capital and how its connceted etc that would be facintating and hopefully the young ones would like to know were and why there here maybe involving them to develope young tours i took a group of young folk on a trip to the sites in dumfries as a volunteer and told them stories of the different areas and they were facianated
rondo
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby Cyclo2000 » Fri Mar 06, 2009 3:31 pm

I did a search and turned up nothing on

The Atlantic Mills, Bridgeton.
D&J Anderson

wee links here...
http://www.theglasgowstory.com/image.php?inum=TGSA05078

and this was the catalyst for this enquiry, an American Gentleman's Blog called a Suitable Wardrobe,
http://asuitablewardrobe.dynend.com/2009/02/touch-it-and-be-hooked.html

I'm stunned there's nothing on t'interweb about this mill! Cannae think where else to post an enquiry of this sort so I'm putting it here so the mod's can decide whether to start a new thread or stick it into anold one.

Hope we can come up with an address or some pics.
Alter Aterius Auxilio Veget
Cyclo2000
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Cyclo2000 » Fri Mar 06, 2009 3:37 pm

Yes okay, I'm a dick.
Found the address ion SCRAN,
Atlantic Mills, No 26 Walkinshaw Street, Glasgow

thers some very wee pics but I'm not subscribed, maybe some one here could download them bigger?
Alter Aterius Auxilio Veget
Cyclo2000
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Aulyin » Thu Mar 12, 2009 2:58 am

I haven't read all of the suggestions, so I appologise if this has been proposed before: Monuments to William Wallace telling the truth, using facts. This was a real person who gave his all for Scotland but it seems as though people from all over the world, including Scotland, believe him to be a fictional character. There is a thread on this site talking about it.

Cheers, Aulyin
Aulyin
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Re: Wallace Monuments telling his "true" story

Postby Aulyin » Thu Mar 19, 2009 11:54 pm

Monuments to William Wallace, using actual facts, telling the truth about the life of the man. This was a real person who gave his all for Scotland but it seems as though people from all over the world, including Scotland, believe him to be a fictional character.

When Braveheart came onto our screens everybody went mad about it, then they started complaining about the story not being factual. Well lets get the story as close as we can. There's not much evidence, but what there is should be made publicly clear, so that we aren't totally ignorant of someone who was voted "Scotland's Greatest Idol"

I'm not talking about his battles or his death, I'm talking about his family and his early years.

Is it simply that so many people with letters after their names have made those names by giving others (us) the wrong information with definate statements: saying things like "Wallace was born in El********, instead of may have been born in El********". And these facts should stick because........
I'm still picking up books which tell me that Wallaces father was Malcolm, when he told us himself in a letter found in the early 1900's, that his father was Alan. What chance have we got? With everybody out there trying to discover their roots, do you not agree that someone should find out "Scotlands Greatest Hero's" roots as well?

Cheers, Aulyin
Aulyin
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Re: Wallace Monuments telling his "true" story

Postby Springburn Boy » Sun May 17, 2009 5:26 pm

Aulyin wrote:Monuments to William Wallace, using actual facts, telling the truth about the life of the man. This was a real person who gave his all for Scotland but it seems as though people from all over the world, including Scotland, believe him to be a fictional character.

When Braveheart came onto our screens everybody went mad about it, then they started complaining about the story not being factual. Well lets get the story as close as we can. There's not much evidence, but what there is should be made publicly clear, so that we aren't totally ignorant of someone who was voted "Scotland's Greatest Idol"

I'm not talking about his battles or his death, I'm talking about his family and his early years.

Is it simply that so many people with letters after their names have made those names by giving others (us) the wrong information with definate statements: saying things like "Wallace was born in El********, instead of may have been born in El********". And these facts should stick because........
I'm still picking up books which tell me that Wallaces father was Malcolm, when he told us himself in a letter found in the early 1900's, that his father was Alan. What chance have we got? With everybody out there trying to discover their roots, do you not agree that someone should find out "Scotlands Greatest Hero's" roots as well?

Cheers, Aulyin

I totally agree with you Aulyin. I don't know anything about the great man. I do know of the battle o' the bell o'the brae, of the Well at Wallacewell Rd and possibly how Stockwell Street got its name, but apart from that I know nothing and would like to know more about Wallaces contact with Glasgow
Where ye gaun wi' that Jobbie?
Springburn Boy
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby steviewilson » Tue May 26, 2009 8:15 am

What about a thread including screenshots of Taggart locations, then and now? Loads of places u see in older Mark McManus episodes have changed, either demolished or redeveloped. Decent idea?

Stevie
steviewilson
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby Alex Glass » Tue May 26, 2009 9:59 pm

steviewilson wrote:What about a thread including screenshots of Taggart locations, then and now? Loads of places u see in older Mark McManus episodes have changed, either demolished or redeveloped. Decent idea?

Stevie

Great idea Stevie

I was just thinking along similar lines after watching a few episodes of Taggart.
Alex Glass
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby rabmania » Tue May 26, 2009 10:37 pm

Alex Glass wrote:
steviewilson wrote:What about a thread including screenshots of Taggart locations, then and now? Loads of places u see in older Mark McManus episodes have changed, either demolished or redeveloped. Decent idea?

Stevie

Great idea Stevie

I was just thinking along similar lines after watching a few episodes of Taggart.

There was a book wasn't there- something like 'Taggart's Glasgow, with Mark McManus'? I think i saw it in the oxfam bookshop in Byres Road a while back.
rabmania
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby onyirtodd » Wed May 27, 2009 9:20 am

rabmania wrote:
Alex Glass wrote:

Stevie

Great idea Stevie

There was a book wasn't there- something like 'Taggart's Glasgow, with Mark McManus'? I think i saw it in the oxfam bookshop in Byres Road a while back.

Didn't one of our number contribute a photograph to that or was it another 'Taggart' thingy?
238 to 127. All in all a good afternoon's work
onyirtodd
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby mrlipring » Wed May 27, 2009 12:25 pm

Stevie

+1
mrlipring
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Bridie » Mon Aug 03, 2009 7:20 am

If someone could have the patience and thoughfulness( I might be repeating and not scrolling) to think about my suggestions what about;
Random Distractions.....a Captions post - like post a pic and put in a funny caption ::): 8O
Does Anyone Remember?
People from my Glasgow Past?

ok I'm cr***** it now :wink:
Yes HH,I know
Bridie
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dot » Mon Aug 03, 2009 7:43 pm

Bridie,

Think there was a caption thread called 'Woke up this mornin' but not aware of any since then.
It was in Random Distractions.
Dot
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects