WANTED!! Ideas for new projects....

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: WANTED!! Ideas for new projects....

Postby Fossil » Thu Nov 01, 2007 4:10 pm

Pgcc93 wrote:Peter,
An HG book has been disscussed plenty of times behind the scenes over the years and over many pints and the conclusion was that Glasgow isn't quite ready for an HG book ... well just yet anyhow :wink:

There's a multidue of reasons for this although it's not for the lack of material though. In fact I think I've got enough stuff archived to do a book independently ...Hmmm ££££'s? :P

aye same here 8) 2 more years to go...
Bum tit tit bum tit tit play yer hairy banjo
Fossil
-
-

Postby preservationlady » Fri Nov 02, 2007 3:34 am

I'm afraid I'll have to disagree with you there, Sir. I just returned from Glasgow a couple of months ago and would have loved to have been able to read before I went about the "roads not taken" in Glasgow and some of the neighboring towns as well. There isn't much written about Paisley and it's an interesting little town. Now that tourism to Scotland is up, I think it's high time for something really creative on Glasgow. The city certainly has had an interesting relationship with the US over the years--economically, I mean.
preservationlady
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby HollowHorn » Fri Nov 02, 2007 11:49 pm

preservationlady wrote:The city certainly has had an interesting relationship with the US over the years--economically, I mean.

Cue Dex & a wee rant on the slave trade :roll:
There are many wonderful books available on all aspects of Glasgow, hidden or otherwise, plenty to be going on with.
HollowHorn
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby dimairt » Sun Nov 25, 2007 9:13 pm

I passed the work tonight and it made me think about illuminated buildings in Glasgow. Have we done this one? I did a quick search, honest. So how about it, or at least a link to the HG page that I missed?
The Mitchell looks magnificent at night.

Le durachd,

Eddy
dimairt
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby dimairt » Sun Nov 25, 2007 9:17 pm

Just found 'Glasgow by Night' on the Photography pages. Terrific.

Le durachd,

Eddy
dimairt
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Mon Nov 26, 2007 8:24 am

HollowHorn wrote:
preservationlady wrote:The city certainly has had an interesting relationship with the US over the years--economically, I mean.

Cue Dex & a wee rant on the slave trade :roll:
There are many wonderful books available on all aspects of Glasgow, hidden or otherwise, plenty to be going on with.

"I before E, except after C" works in most cases but there are exceptions.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby dimairt » Thu Nov 29, 2007 9:51 pm

I got a postcard from E-Bay the other day, part of the 'Nostalgia Postcard Collector's Club.' I think there are 25 views of Glasgow- how about collecting the set?

Le durachd,

Eddy
dimairt
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Fossil » Thu Nov 29, 2007 10:17 pm

dimairt wrote:I got a postcard from E-Bay the other day, part of the 'Nostalgia Postcard Collector's Club.' I think there are 25 views of Glasgow- how about collecting the set?

Le durachd,

Eddy

start bidding eddy
Bum tit tit bum tit tit play yer hairy banjo
Fossil
-
-

Glasgow Overspill

Postby cornfield » Mon Dec 10, 2007 9:53 pm

Love the site especially all the photos.

Originally from Hamilton now residing in Irvine (sure there is something about fires and frying pans). A project on the new towns built to house the overspill, Irvine, EK, Cumbernauld, Erskine would be great. It continually amazes me how the planners took a fantastic seaside town with industry, historical wealth and beauty, a wonderful harbour, scenery, etc etc etc (IRVINE), threw a truck load of money at it and managed to make the place worse in the process. I am sure the same can be said for the others.

As I cycle round the town, the cycle routes being one of the few things about the place that they got right, the contrast of historic buildings (1800's) to 'new' concrete tower monster-homes is apalling. They pulled down a historic bridge and replaced it with a shopping center OVER the water. (Are we the only country in the world to hide our rivers away? I know Glasgow is trying to rectify this but surely in 10 years we all will say what an oppertunity missed too)

For anyone who thinks the destruction of Glasgow's historic buildings and their replacement with concrete / glass is a crime, come look at the mess they made of the new towns and can someone explain where it went wrong?

I guess my point is this. Irvine is a great place to live, no really it is. Its well laid out, good amenities, scenic, good infrastructure BUT it could have been (in my opinion) so so much better. It seems like the planners went, 'lets pull that down' then 'emm' then 'oh dear' then 'oh well bring in the concrete'
cornfield
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby My Kitten » Mon Dec 10, 2007 9:57 pm

theres one about Cumbernauld, purely as I grew up there :)

Start away with Irvine :)
My Kitten
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby samscafeamericain » Fri Apr 04, 2008 5:26 am

Could you clever guys with your cameras and access to old pics do a study of Sartorial elegance through the last century. I think it would be fascinating to see the changes in society through social customs including clothes, hairstyle and accepted behaviour
'once you can get men to believe in absurdities you can get them to commit atrocities' ....Voltaire
samscafeamericain
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Re: WANTED!! Ideas for new projects....clyde tunnel/gremlin

Postby kathyf » Wed Jun 25, 2008 9:11 pm

Hi, you can find all of my research into the clyde tunnel on the Tunnel Facts page - http://www.holdyourbreath.org
There is also cyclist footage of a journey through the pedestrian tunnel on YouTube. http://www.youtube.com/results?search_q ... arch_type=
- kathyf
kathyf
Just settling in
Just settling in

Re: WANTED!! Ideas for new projects....clyde tunnel/gremlin

Postby red_kola » Wed Jun 25, 2008 10:20 pm

kathyf wrote:Hi, you can find all of my research into the clyde tunnel on the Tunnel Facts page - http://www.holdyourbreath.org
There is also cyclist footage of a journey through the pedestrian tunnel on YouTube. http://www.youtube.com/results?search_q ... arch_type=
- kathyf

Hi Kathyf

Good to see the site is still going... We noticed it a while back. :D

Keep adding the content and post up requests when you can. I'm sure peoples here will want to help.
Destroy All Monsters
red_kola
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby hidniall1314 » Tue Aug 19, 2008 9:50 pm

Just heard of tunnel of about a mle under west end - will get more details.
hidniall1314
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby w00dsmoke » Sun Nov 09, 2008 4:52 pm

How about preparations for the cold war both civilian and military?
Evacuation plans
Council Planning bunker
Ferries used as mobile RSG'S-CALMAC
Military Bunkers
BT tunnels and secure exchanges
Scottish home and Health Dept stores/equipment and food
Hospital/fire service/ambulance dispersion plans...
the list is huge...
w00dsmoke
Just settling in
Just settling in

PreviousNext

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects