WANTED!! Ideas for new projects....

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Scissor Gate Hoist

Postby DMcNay » Sat Mar 27, 2004 9:31 pm

crusty_bint wrote:
Don't want to steal your thunder but Glasgow's first lift was installed in the Athaeneum Theatre in Buchannan St in 1891 :

Ah, the Old Athaneum. I had a great time in there in 1993, doing SYT's summer festival.

I remember the building trembling whenever an underground train went past.

Closed now, of course. Worth doing a project on?
DMcNay
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby DickyHart » Tue Mar 30, 2004 6:39 pm

Did it not get flooded out, and was damaged beyond repair, did a couple of amatuer shows in there myself.
by the way if your at all interested, Im in a show this saturday at the mitchell theatre, its a show for youngsters to show their talents and i do my Jimmy tarbuck stuff.

Starts at 7pm £4
Is this gonna be a standup fight, sir, or another bughunt?
DickyHart
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby DMcNay » Tue Mar 30, 2004 9:01 pm

as far as I know it was sold by Scottish Youth Theatre because they were offered a couple of million to sell it. Which was a nice sum of money for them..

I remember my mate having to lead me by the hand through the basement because it was so dark. He knew his way round blindofld he'd been working there on and off for a few years.

Don't recall any flooding, but there may have been. I remember the bar was tiny!
DMcNay
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby rank_bajin » Sat Apr 10, 2004 5:21 pm

Hi everyone,

I know of a cracking old lift (that is until you're forced to ride in the shoogly old bugger) at the Victoria Infimiary. I'll try to remember to take my camera the next time I have to go there. I could also probably get some pics of the old derelict geriatric unit there if anyone is interested?
rank_bajin
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby evilmiss » Sun Apr 11, 2004 10:30 am

I would like something about Crookston Castle in Pollok...

There is a part of the castle called 'The Pit', where-if you were naughty-you spent your time in there.

Anyhoo, a local historian thinks that there are escape tunnels running from the castle and they may still be intact...but where to?

:D
Don't dream it. Be it.
evilmiss
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

new projects

Postby jjboy72 » Thu Apr 22, 2004 8:55 pm

well hi all.
new here and feel at home already.
Not only was i born in glasgow but i love it.
I have been looking for some time and have to confess that i may make some of you cry (possibly)
I hapen to love the old hospital buidings around glasgow, my kids were born at rotten row after all.
My job gives me access to Garloch hospital (about to be converted to housing), Leverndale (in the act), Meanskirk (history). Clydeport buildings....etc..
I can arrange visits for small parties, i know it maight take the thrill factor out for some (security not chasing you) but it is special.

Anyway good site, i have found so many things i didnt knoe were so close.

jj.
jjboy72
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby turbozutek » Thu Apr 22, 2004 8:57 pm

Hi!

Always interested in the hospitals!!

Check out http://www.uer.ca for our adventures in Gartloch, Woodilee, HartWood etc etc etc

If you can arrange trips give me or Sharon a shout!

Chris...
turbozutek
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

last post

Postby jjboy72 » Thu Apr 22, 2004 8:58 pm

should have read that.

so many spelling mistakes ha
jjboy72
Just settling in
Just settling in

visits

Postby jjboy72 » Thu Apr 22, 2004 9:28 pm

sent a mail, i think!!

visits will have to be soon but i do have permission to do them.

be quick.

jj
jjboy72
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby caine » Thu Apr 22, 2004 9:53 pm

from my understanding, the SYT have moved to the old court house on the north side of the river and are currently doing it up for them to move into soon. or i may have mis understood this, and got it completely wrong, dont think so though.
caine
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby gridrunner » Sun May 09, 2004 9:03 pm

Always thought that those pubs left behind after slum clearances would make a good project, never did anything about it though, are there any left?
gridrunner
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby Pgcc93 » Sun May 09, 2004 9:25 pm

gridrunner wrote:Always thought that those pubs left behind after slum clearances would make a good project, never did anything about it though, are there any left?

I was fascinated with Derry Treanors and the Blarney Stone in the Gorbals when I was a kid. Do any of these still exist :?: Looked real rough from the outside probably even rougher on the inside. And I think you had to err... kick with the left foot to get served. It's a Glasgow thing apparently.

Oh! and welcome to to Hidden Glasgow gridrunner.
Pgcc93
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby mustardman » Mon May 10, 2004 11:57 am

What about getting the Evening Times to promote this forum/site! Such a good discovery for Glaswegians!
mustardman
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby mustardman » Mon May 10, 2004 12:01 pm

What about the Milngavie water reservoir? Great feat of engineering for its time. You can appreciate this when you see it for yourself!
mustardman
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby gridrunner » Mon May 10, 2004 3:14 pm

Cheers fot the welcome.

I lived in Mount Florida 1996 to 2002, I remember the Blarney Stone, I think, on Caledonia Road? Used to pass it on the way into town, there was another pub next to it and a closed pub just up Cathcart Road, on a triangular island, all gone by 2002.

There also used to be 1 on Springburn Road near th sorting office... Cawdors? something like that (or maybe nowt like that).
gridrunner
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

PreviousNext

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects