tunnels

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

London Road Rail Tunnel

Postby Alex Glass » Mon Sep 11, 2006 8:54 pm

For Lostsoul

There is a map on this site that I posted a couple of months back.

It detailed the old lines can't remember the date.

If you go up Springfield Road from London Road on the spare ground after the first block you can see where the tunnel comes to ground level. When I was there it was overgrown. The tunnel does go along under London Road to this point. If you cross the road a little further up and goe east you can still see the railway bank.

Hope this is helpful.
Alex Glass
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Socceroo » Sun Mar 04, 2007 11:34 pm

After putting some stuff on the River Kelvin thread, I got an e-mail from an old former colleague who is now retired. He sent me a bundle on the River Kelvin including a pile of photographs of the River Kelvin from the 1970’s when he was doing some Civil Engineering works in the area.

I’ll post these later once I have scanned them and tidied them up.

He also sent me a copy of “Glasgow’s other River, Exploring the Kelvin” by Alex Matheson. An excellent book which I would recommend, apart from being about the Kelvin, I would say it was one of the best books on the areas of Glasgow around or near the Kelvin that I have read.

Here is a wee bit from the book about Kirklee Station which I found interesting, particularly as I was also sent a newspaper clipping from 1917 about the royal visit to Glasgow :

“Kirklee Station, designed by Sir John Burnet, was situated just outside the western entrance to the gardens at Ford Road. This was a more conventional stone building, which despite its substantial construction, was allowed to stand derelict for many years until vandals reduced it to such an eyesore that it was finally demolished in 1971. This stretch of the line has a curious connection with royalty. During the First World War, when the industrial unrest on “Red” Clydeside was at its height, King George V and Queen Mary paid a three-day visit to Glasgow and for many security reasons used Kirklee Station as their headquarters. Every morning a large brown Daimler limousine with the royal arms affixed to its roof would drive up to the station to whisk their Majesties off on another tour of the City, and in the evening it would return. The King and Queen would alight, pass through the station, and board the Royal Train which was then shunted into the tunnel under the Gardens for the night where it was closely guarded by a detachment of the Glasgow Highlanders (9th HLI). This seems an extraordinary arrangement, but it must be remembered that the government was afraid that a Bolshevik-style revolution was about to break out on Clydeside at any moment, and it must have required considerable courage for the King and Queen to put their lives at risk.”
Socceroo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Alycidon » Mon Mar 05, 2007 7:42 am

Socceroo, the practise of parking the Royal Train (complete with the firm on board) on an obscure piece of track was still being followed into the 1970s. My friend’s father was a "high heidyin" in B.R. in those days and nuggets of information were occasionally prized out of him (usually after the event). It was by this means that I found out that the Royal Train had been parked on the branch to Costain Concrete Co’s siding near Law Junction, with HRH and the lot on board overnight and the usual security around. Not the most scenic view to see of a morning
[img]http://www.jhowie.force9.co.uk/emu314carcream.gif[/img]

We must perform a Quirkafleeg!!!!
Alycidon
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Better than the Bonham

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Mon Mar 05, 2007 8:05 am

Having your own train can come in handy for all sorts of reasons.

Meanwhile, Buckingham Palace asked the Sunday Mirror to retract a story claiming that Prince Charles had twice smuggled Lady Diana aboard the royal train for love trysts. "There is not a word of truth in it," insisted a Palace press secretary. The retraction demand originated with Prince Charles, according to the spokesman, but the Queen also "wished this to be done."

Newspapers reported that the night before his wedding to Lady Diana Spencer, in July, 1981, Charles and a 'blonde woman' spent the night on the Royal Train.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Craig » Thu Mar 08, 2007 12:21 pm

Alycidon wrote:Socceroo, the practise of parking the Royal Train (complete with the firm on board) on an obscure piece of track was still being followed into the 1970s. My friend’s father was a "high heidyin" in B.R. in those days and nuggets of information were occasionally prized out of him (usually after the event). It was by this means that I found out that the Royal Train had been parked on the branch to Costain Concrete Co’s siding near Law Junction, with HRH and the lot on board overnight and the usual security around. Not the most scenic view to see of a morning

It was still being carried out in the early 2000's, I should know as it was my job to pick up and deliver the newspapers for the train and clamp the points at Garriongill junction once the train was on the branch then unclamp them when it was ready to leave again.

Craig
Craig
First Stripe
First Stripe

Clyde Tunnel

Postby Shazbat » Wed Mar 21, 2007 6:28 pm

Had a notion to walk to work through the through the Clyde Tunnel as I live in the W.E. and work in Govan, so had a wee gander at the entrance at Balshagray. Frankly, wouldn't set foot in the thing. I had been informed that there was a security entry and a CCTV camera to monitor comings and goings. None of this was evident. Does anyone use this route on foot or cycle?
Shazbat
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Re: Clyde Tunnel

Postby AlanM » Wed Mar 21, 2007 8:38 pm

Shazbat wrote:Had a notion to walk to work through the through the Clyde Tunnel as I live in the W.E. and work in Govan, so had a wee gander at the entrance at Balshagray. Frankly, wouldn't set foot in the thing. I had been informed that there was a security entry and a CCTV camera to monitor comings and goings. None of this was evident. Does anyone use this route on foot or cycle?

Its quite popular at standard going to and from work times, although I wouldn't risk it any later than around 6pm. It reeks of pish so a strong constitution is also a pre-requisite.
Who needs a six pack....when you've got a keg!!!
AlanM
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Squigster » Wed Mar 21, 2007 8:49 pm

Shazbat wrote:
Had a notion to walk to work through the through the Clyde Tunnel as I live in the W.E. and work in Govan, so had a wee gander at the entrance at Balshagray. Frankly, wouldn't set foot in the thing. I had been informed that there was a security entry and a CCTV camera to monitor comings and goings. None of this was evident. Does anyone use this route on foot or cycle?

Its quite popular at standard going to and from work times, although I wouldn't risk it any later than around 6pm. It reeks of pish so a strong constitution is also a pre-requisite.

I would agree with the above, also the tunnels often flood. The exit of the Balshagray tunnel at Govan is especially prone to icing over and is a nightmare when cycling.
Squigster
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Delmont St Xavier » Thu Mar 22, 2007 1:32 am

Walking through the tunnel can be a daunting experience and to be honest, it is not one that I would truly recommend unless you are accompanied.

I have been through many times, mainly cycling through but had to get off half way up the steep hill and walk - it wasn't very friendly at all. However, I don't know it its reputation is deserved or more myth - only this forum can tell.....
Delmont St Xavier
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Sydney Rosewater » Thu Mar 22, 2007 11:37 am

Lots of quality graffitti to read in the clyde tunnel.
Sydney Rosewater
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Sunflower » Thu Mar 22, 2007 6:19 pm

Been through twice, once walking, once cycling, both times weekend daytime with one other person. No probs - but it does feel creepy. Maybe because there's a long stretch where you can't see either end, it's like some kind of parallel universe. Is it one of those things you should do before you die? (Not immediately before) (obviously)
Sunflower
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby ElectricSprout » Thu Mar 22, 2007 11:04 pm

The tunnel's a good read as the graffiti is more of a literary than artistic nature, but it's a weird place for sure.

Walked through on my own one time in the middle of the day. Took at least 20 minutes to get from one end to the other (probably faster if you don't stop for photos and reading) but I never met another soul.

I guess if everyone finds it too scary to go down then there's not much chance of meeting anyone. So as freaky as the place is, the risk of wandering thru might actually be quite low.

It's definitely something every Glaswegian should do... just not on any kind of regular basis coz that would be askin' fur it!
ElectricSprout
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby Delmont St Xavier » Fri Mar 23, 2007 12:41 am

Looks like instead of organising tunnel trips to derelict or disused tunnels or a jaunt around Hamilton - a group tour from Hidden Glasgow could go through and for the sake silliness and fun, maybe even for a good cause - have a celebratory birthday cake for HG's 5th birthday!

I can imagine some poor soul walking through and seeing a group of folks all huddled around a cake!

Reminds me of a story - just go off on a tangent here but my late Uncle told me this. He was a gravedigger in Coventry Road Cemetery, Bedworth, Warwickshire.

One very foggy morning before dawn he went to the cemetery to prepare the grave (no machinery in those days) and began to cut by hand - an hour or so passes and he is up to his waist (or down) when he notices someone about to pass him (using the cemetery for a short-cut to walk) when suddenly up from the grave my stupid Uncle asks the guy, "hoi m8, what time is it?" Poor guy ran for England that day and I guess my old Uncle never did get the time!
Delmont St Xavier
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby tobester » Sat Mar 24, 2007 7:24 pm

thats a good idea Delmont be a bit of fun.

April 1st anyone?
tobester
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby cheesylion » Sat Mar 24, 2007 7:26 pm

tobester wrote:thats a good idea Delmont be a bit of fun.

April 1st anyone?

Aye, bugger it, why not!?
Ching Ching!!!!!!!
cheesylion
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects