tunnels

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

tunnels

Postby rico » Fri Jul 18, 2003 4:23 am

the rail tunnel under yorkhill hospitall (same line as botanic gardens) is currently playing host to illegal raves every month. candle lit all the way in and but you let your ears guide you. im suprised no ones noticed/complained yet.

btw do you know there are war tunnels/buckers near the grannery beside the expressway just east of the granary beside macharg rennie and lindsays

rico
rico

Re: tunnels

Postby Sharon » Fri Jul 18, 2003 9:51 am

Anonymous wrote: do you know there are war tunnels/buckers near the grannery beside the expressway just east of the granary beside macharg rennie and lindsays

No I didnt....tell me more....

...I always thought that a tunnel would be a good place for a rave!
Beware of yawning dogs.
Sharon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby rico » Sun Jul 20, 2003 2:19 am

my mate said they were air raid shelters during the war but they go quite far underground. more like tunnels than just shelters you can get into them by going over a small fence then through some bushes (literally right beide the expressway backing onto mchargs garage.[/img]
rico

Raves you say ???!!??

Postby turbozutek » Sun Jul 20, 2003 3:56 pm

Raves ?

Tunnels and raves!!! These are a few of my favourite things!! ;-)

Who organises the raves ? Any contacts ? Not that STD bunch of maddies ??? :-D

Chris...
turbozutek
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby rico » Mon Jul 21, 2003 3:33 am

dont have any contact details a mate took me down, ill post up here if i find out when the next one is
rico

Postby Guest » Thu Aug 07, 2003 8:08 pm

any more info on the air raid shelyers rico.....better description on how to find them possibly?

Postby Pgcc93 » Thu Aug 14, 2003 12:16 am

They ain't air raid shelters or ever have been. It's part of the old railway cutting that is now covered over by the expressway. The stone retaining walls are still intact as you walk the length ot this short tunnel (3 to 400 yards long approx) it comes to an abrupt end with concrete pilings at it's eastern end. If it continued it would lead into the open air vents on the other side of the X'pressway and into the abandoned scrap yard/ Partick Central Station. When I paid it a visit earlier this year it would seem to have had very few visits due to it's hidden location. You need to know where to look to find this rather elusive tunnel. Hope this helps.

PGCC
Pgcc93
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Hidden tunnels

Postby gordonjcp » Thu Aug 14, 2003 2:43 pm

Is that the fenced-off bit behind McHargs, perhaps about 20' square with a low concrete wall at one site and a steel fence at the other? There's a big yellow road sign near it, but you can get the best view of it from the other (north) side of the expressway, just about where the funny wee roundabout is that leads off to the old firestation and the back of Safeway. Is that the bit?
gordonjcp
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby jim » Wed Sep 03, 2003 8:28 pm

there are tunnels everywhere . . .

There's a good one running from Balcarres Avenue in Kelvindale right under the hill to Lismore Rd. It comes out under a pub just off Gt Western Rd that I cant remember the name of. Last time I tried it, it had been closed off. But these things have a way of opening right back up again (funny that).

An interesting one can be seen from Maryhill. (climbing involved) Go to the shopping centre and follow your (railway-sensitive) nose. Near the canal you can find a dramatic cutting, an amazing feat of engineering. This can be entered from Ruchill golf course. (worth seeing from above though) the cuttings/tunnels at the golf course are great too, but a bit wet underfoot.

You can wander about underneath Hyndland Station. Go to Clarence Drive and find the (obvious) railway cutting. follow it into the tree's. There is a bit of climbing and squeezing involved but its worth it. there is an interesting structure in there.

Another one goes under the M8 up near Dobbies Loan. there's a lot of new building going on around here so access is difficult. This tunnel is blocked half way through but again its worth the effort. (yes there is something in there too)

Unconfirmed soundings: underneath Trongate lies a fallout shelter / mineshafts under Glasgow University / passageways below Royal Exchange square / the escape tunnel from the City Chambers / the streets beneath Union St and below Central / the cuttings near Barrack St and Charlotte St in the East End.
jim
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Re: tunnels

Postby Guest » Sun Oct 12, 2003 3:26 pm

Anonymous wrote:the rail tunnel under yorkhill hospitall (same line as botanic gardens) is currently playing host to illegal raves every month. candle lit all the way in and but you let your ears guide you. im suprised no ones noticed/complained yet.

::):

that would be us! see this link- http://www.hiddenglasgow.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=77

or log on to http://www.miscreat.com for info on more free parties. (not raves :wink: )

Postby caine » Sun Oct 12, 2003 3:27 pm

sorry, forgot to leave my name on the above.
caine

Kelvinbridge tunnel

Postby jim » Thu Oct 23, 2003 8:35 pm

Noticed this afternoon (23rd) that the tunnel doors next to The Big Blue are no longer secured. You can just walk right in!
jim
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

The Big Blue?

Postby gordonjcp » Wed Oct 29, 2003 11:03 am

Is that the ones near Otago Street? My Glasgow geography is hopeless (I've only lived here for five years...) When we went down (ages ago admittedly) they were very much welded shut - big steel plates arcwelded onto the backs of the doors along the facing edges.
gordonjcp
First Stripe
First Stripe

Reply to Gordonjcp

Postby jim » Wed Oct 29, 2003 6:58 pm

Thats the one.

Interesting underground room discovered today, just off Duke St near the big car park. Does anyone have any idea what it might have been? Was there an old school there?
In the same area I found the Ladywell (next to the brewery), something to do with St Kentigern/Mungo I think?
Also checked out the Molendinar close by. This is the only spot that you can see it in Glasgow. It pops out of a tunnel and disappears into another very quickly. The tunnel may even be big enough to enter . . . but thats probably too crazy?
jim
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby cataclyzm » Thu Oct 30, 2003 2:35 pm

Hi,

Are you talking about the molendinar, as it appears at the side of the Great Eastern Hotel?

I believe St.Kentigern baptised people in the stream itself. I remember seeing the stream as a kid, and remembering that it didn't look that healthy. Stagnant and yellow.

You could argue this is the old spiritual centre of Glasgow, and somehow: It always seems so quiet and still - no matter how busy the town is. Of course: Duke Street is one of those rare things: A victorian shopping experience with tenements still in situ, and hardly a trendy coffee bar in site. Please - can we petition against coffee houses?

All the Best.
Robert Kelly.
8)
cataclyzm
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Next

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects