tunnels

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Postby james73 » Wed Apr 06, 2005 5:18 am

Alchemist wrote:The only pic so far I've found is from 1912.

James H
Last edited by james73 on Sun Oct 30, 2005 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
james73
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby George » Wed Apr 06, 2005 8:46 pm

From the tunnel map, I cannot help but notice that the Balgray tunnel system exits on the north of the clyde near Balshagray....perhaps 'shag' is an old Scots word for exiting a tunnel?
George
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Ronnie » Wed Apr 06, 2005 9:21 pm

George wrote:perhaps 'shag' is an old Scots word for exiting a tunnel?

Or perhaps for entering a tunnel ...
upupdowndownleftrightleftrightbastart
Ronnie
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby ColinC » Sun Sep 04, 2005 6:20 pm

I had a look and I could not see this site posted here, this may give some more info on the above

http://www.railscot.co.uk/Glasgow_Centr ... /frame.htm
ColinC
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby Blood-Clot » Sat Nov 12, 2005 11:03 pm

hithere, new here.
Me and a mate explored a couple tunnels today... to piece together the tracks ourselves without lookin here.
great day !

Couple questions tho..... the tunnel which starts at the transport museum and goes under yorkhill.... and appears to join onto an existing railway... how safe is that at the end ? Can you get out somewhere ?

Another Q :
The tunnel which begins across the park from kelvinbridge , under the other road bridge... and proceeds under kelvingrove park.... we saw a light which appeared to be very close .. like actually in the park !.
We know there is a vent between houses around the sandyford area... but this would seem a tad far between the first bend under the park. We are going to explore with a couple more brighter torches next time... but is there a vent/exit anywhere closer which could provide light ?. Or is it the vent behind the houses on the main st...argyle street... ?

Also at the end of this tunnel can you get out onto exhibition centre station safely ?

Has anyone had any problems from junkies / neds / bums ?
Will have a large maglite for clubbing ppl if need be, but rather be quite quite safe.

This is a great site and great fun and experience to trace all of this... must take pics of the balornock tunnels for you all :)

Cheers !!
Blood-Clot
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby james73 » Sun Nov 13, 2005 12:55 am

Blood-Clot wrote:Couple questions tho..... the tunnel which starts at the transport museum and goes under yorkhill.... and appears to join onto an existing railway... how safe is that at the end ? Can you get out somewhere

I wouldn't venture in there cos it looks like this now:

James H
james73
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby dazza » Sun Nov 13, 2005 3:19 am

Blood-Clot wrote:Another Q :
The tunnel which begins across the park from kelvinbridge , under the other road bridge... and proceeds under kelvingrove park.... we saw a light which appeared to be very close .. like actually in the park !.
We know there is a vent between houses around the sandyford area... but this would seem a tad far between the first bend under the park. We are going to explore with a couple more brighter torches next time... but is there a vent/exit anywhere closer which could provide light ?. Or is it the vent behind the houses on the main st...argyle street... ?

Also at the end of this tunnel can you get out onto exhibition centre station safely ?

There used to be a vent in the Park Quadrant/Park Terrace area, but i'm not sure if it has been covered, although that would explain the light.
As far as i remember there is a lot of flooding and debris towards the end of the tunnel at the Argyll Street end so i don't think you can walk right along to the Exhibition centre station anymore.
dazza
-
-

Postby russ » Mon Nov 14, 2005 3:26 pm

I went down the tunnel today between Kelvingrove and Argyle Street. The vent is right next to my work.

Looks like there has been a party down there at some point in the past few months. There was make shift tables and chairs as well as a stage with it's very own back stage area with comfy sofas.

Pics later.
russ
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby MotoMad » Mon Nov 14, 2005 6:23 pm

james73 wrote:
Blood-Clot wrote:Couple questions tho..... the tunnel which starts at the transport museum and goes under yorkhill.... and appears to join onto an existing railway... how safe is that at the end ? Can you get out somewhere

James H

does this mean you could walk all the way through to the secc platforms?
MotoMad
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby weedgie_bored » Mon Nov 14, 2005 7:57 pm

This is my first post here so bear with me.
I used to drink in a pub called "The Hangman's Rest" which was then, (1960s), the second oldest pub in Glasgow and was situated in Bell St by the old fruit market.
Supposedly when the hangman came from Edinburgh he would stay there, or rather the building that stood on the spot previously.
There was a story, frequently told by the patrons, of a tunnel that went from the pub to Cathedral St which the executioner would use to travel secretly to the scaffold, carry out his duties, then back for a pie and a pint (or whatever).
I believe the pub, well known, was demolished in the 70's, was anything turned up in the ruins?
Anyone heard the same story?
weedgie_bored
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby retired tiger » Mon Nov 14, 2005 9:16 pm

I'll ask around in the old worthies pub I drink in.
BTW, thanks for reminding me of where I started my drinking career. The year was 1959 and I was 15 & fresh out of school, at my first job in Glassford Street. Used to push a barrow back and forth to the fruit market from the big store I worked in. What characters there were in the Candleriggs then :D
retired tiger
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Socceroo » Mon Nov 14, 2005 9:23 pm

The Hangman's Rest was demolished in the mid 1980's.

When i was at College in the early - mid eighties quite a few students adopted it because it was cheap and the staff were friendly.

I think it went up in smoke one night and was then demolished (suspicious).

I recall being told that there was a huge cellar under it, which was unusual for a wee pub.

Part of our Pub tour also included Granny Black's round the corner which apparently had a vaulted Basement as big as the Pub under it. I think i recall that Granny Black's had to go when the building above it started to fall own as the developers who bought the building above let it fall into disrepair.

The thing about these Pubs were that they were totally relaxed, full of Locals - Pre Luxury Flat era, Students, Postmen, Cleansing Depot workers from Bell Street and Bus Drivers.

The Beer on draught was as good as you will get. It had to be, they had demanding customers.

I don't think there were deep Tunnels as such in Candleriggs but i recall reading about vaulted basements.

If you have ever been in Mchuills in the High Street you will get the picture, with it's brick vaulted / arched ceilings.

In my job in the Construction Industry i have came across quite a few of these structures. I was involved in the late eighties in knocking down the Dewdrop Inn on St Vincent Street at Charing Cross and we found that the Pub and shops were sitting on Merchant's Vaults / stores.
Socceroo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby james73 » Mon Nov 14, 2005 11:37 pm

MotoMad wrote:
james73 wrote:

James H

does this mean you could walk all the way through to the secc platforms?

The line to the left lead to the SECC station - it's behind the cameraman. This
is the eastbound line.

James H
james73
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby MotoMad » Mon Nov 14, 2005 11:46 pm

Ah right , so how far could you walk up if you jumped down off the secc platforms(not trying it , far too big a jessie)
MotoMad
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby james73 » Mon Nov 14, 2005 11:49 pm

MotoMad wrote:Ah right , so how far could you walk up if you jumped down off the secc platforms(not trying it , far too big a jessie)

That junction is just inside the tunnel entrance - you can see it from on board a train.

James H
james73
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects