tunnels

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: tunnels

Postby Gerry_R » Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:34 pm

Vinegar Tom wrote:
Gerry_R wrote:Anyone else notice that there's some work going on in the St Vincent Crescent tunnel in the last week or so? Spotted some heavy machinery when passing on the train last week heading to queen street.

Yes, there is building work going on at the site. I was down at Minerva Way this morning and saw steelwork removed from the tunnel stacked by the side of the road. You can see massive wooden sockets at each end of the beams. I would like to think that these are the beams shown in the earlier photo, but I'm not sure as there is reinforcing bar and concrete?

VT, passed the Tunnel again last nite and noticed that the steel beams are still in place, wonder where the ones you photographed come from???
I don't have a drink problem! I drink, get drunk, fall down - no problem!
Gerry_R
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Re: tunnelling on The Life Scientific.

Postby The Egg Man » Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:38 pm

Jim Al-Khalili talks to Robert Mair, professor of Civil engineering at Cambridge University about his life as an engineer in academia and industry and his expertise on finding innovative solutions to the problems of building tunnels under already congested cities.

He talks about his innovative technique of 'compensation grouting' which prevented Big Ben from tilting and even cracking and coming away from the Houses of Parliament during Jubilee line extension.
Crossrail is one of the biggest engineering projects in Europe and involves constructing 26 miles of new tunnels underneath London's busy streets and under the existing tube network. Robert talks the latest tunnelling technology being used and the huge drilling machines with names like 'Ada' and Phyliss' which use high pressure to minimise ground movements as they drill and even have a kitchen and bathroom facilities on board.
He also talks about his latest work on how smart sensors which can harvest their own energy. And when built into buildings, roads, tunnels they could make sure the engineering projects of the future will be able to continuously monitor and report on their own safety.

Listen again at http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01pth0t
I hear the people sing.
The Egg Man
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby old jock » Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:26 pm

Eggman

I caught some of that when it was aired and it was pretty interesting, but I'm a bit of nerd about that sort of thing.

Gerry

When I was down I couldn't see much but I think they are replacing the bridge that the live lines crosses and packing it out to support the rails on an embankment as Mr Sam stated. That would mean these beams are the bridge beams. I think the beams in your old photo look to be struts/ties to help support the walls. You can see that they are quite different at the ends.

Regarding the re-bar to my non civil engineering eye (my civil engineering eye was having a nap), it appears that the original beams did not use concrete. The concrete and re-bar has been added at a later date by filling in the gaps between the top and bottom flange of the I beam to strengthen the old beam.

The wooden sockets are a complete revelation to me, I would never have thought they would use wood to tie in the ends.

Maybe somebody knowledgeable on all things railway will come on and clarify it.

John
old jock
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby crusty_bint » Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:16 pm

interesting foties. could it be that these wooden sockets are actually the original wooden beams, encased in steel plate and dowsed in concrete for strengthening?

Vinegar Tom wrote:
Gerry_R wrote:Anyone else notice that there's some work going on in the St Vincent Crescent tunnel in the last week or so? Spotted some heavy machinery when passing on the train last week heading to queen street.

Yes, there is building work going on at the site. I was down at Minerva Way this morning and saw steelwork removed from the tunnel stacked by the side of the road. You can see massive wooden sockets at each end of the beams. I would like to think that these are the beams shown in the earlier photo, but I'm not sure as there is reinforcing bar and concrete?

St Vincent Crescent Tunnel steelwork 1 by vinegartom40, on Flickr

St Vincent Crescent Tunnel steelwork 2 by vinegartom40, on Flickr

St Vincent Crescent Tunnel steelwork 3 by vinegartom40, on Flickr
here i go, it's coming for me through the trees
crusty_bint
-
-

Postby old jock » Sun Mar 03, 2013 9:28 am

Resurrecting this briefly. Passed by St Vincent Crescent last week and one of the bricks was out the wall of the bridge so I got a grand view of the work. The bridge is gone (or buried) and the ballast all built up to support the track, so it should stop flooding.

The beams on the photo Gerry posted up which look to me like ties to hold the walls are still in place. So the beams VT posted must be the bridge beams.

As you enter the crescent from Corruna St, across the road and to your left is a refurbished cottage type structure. The old line is immediately to the right of it and the live line to the left

John
old jock
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Outta_Time » Thu Mar 07, 2013 5:07 pm

Hi everyone,

These wooden beams are what is known as 'longitudinal timbers' and they are encased in steel girders.

The timbers support the rails at the correct gauage (1435mm).

These were simply removed and the track was reinstated with sleepers and (loadsof) ballast.

I walked across this renewed section (with permission) and discovered the portals either side of this former bridge and that is what lead me here. I find the tunnels and abondoned railways around Glasgow fascinating.

On a positive note, the portals either side remain open, so one day they may be reinstated with track...

Cheers.
Outta_Time
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby mrsam » Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:37 am

there is something magical about walking down an abandoned tunnel that particular obesity was seemingly never ending..... think of the hg den that we could make in one of these places

Mr Sam
Hmmm I wonder what happens if i press that lever.... Ahh It operates that shiny new plug socket!

www..photobucket.com/albums/ll103/thecuriocollector

www..photobucket.com/albums/v195/tarbat2003
mrsam
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:01 am

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-21595625

Volunteers in Liverpool are giving up their free time to clear out a mysterious labyrinth of tunnels that lurk beneath the city's Edge Hill area.

The Friends of the Williamson Tunnels are removing the results of decades of Victorian "fly-tipping", hoping one day to expose tunnels which they believe could stretch for miles.

The tunnels were built and conceived in the early 19th century by eccentric businessman Joseph Williamson, who paid soldiers returning from the Napoleonic war to build them. No records were kept of how far they stretch, nor which direction they go in.

They're looking forward to finding Grahamston.
"I before E, except after C" works in most cases but there are exceptions.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Gerry_R » Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:31 am

Outta_Time wrote:Hi everyone,

These wooden beams are what is known as 'longitudinal timbers' and they are encased in steel girders.

The timbers support the rails at the correct gauage (1435mm).

These were simply removed and the track was reinstated with sleepers and (loadsof) ballast.

I walked across this renewed section (with permission) and discovered the portals either side of this former bridge and that is what lead me here. I find the tunnels and abondoned railways around Glasgow fascinating.

On a positive note, the portals either side remain open, so one day they may be reinstated with track...

Cheers.

Passed the St Vincent Crescent Tunnel last nite on the way home from work, it seems that bridge carrying the live line has been re-inforced. But It also looked like you could no longer pass underneath the live line if you happened to be wandering down there. Flood Prevention scheme maybe to stop the 1994 Kelvin Flood incident??
I don't have a drink problem! I drink, get drunk, fall down - no problem!
Gerry_R
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby MotoMad » Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:42 pm

Nice picture from Glasgow Central today.....

https://twitter.com/NetworkRailGLC/stat ... 5361780736

crusty_bint wrote: i.e. they're not a bawhair away from Dickensian!
MotoMad
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby mrsam » Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:34 pm

MotoMad wrote:Nice picture from Glasgow Central today.....

ok you have my attention...

Mr Sam
Hmmm I wonder what happens if i press that lever.... Ahh It operates that shiny new plug socket!

www..photobucket.com/albums/ll103/thecuriocollector

www..photobucket.com/albums/v195/tarbat2003
mrsam
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby banjo » Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:22 am

happy fiftieth birthday to the clyde tunnel today.
banjo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby ronniem96 » Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:09 pm

mrsam wrote:
MotoMad wrote:Nice picture from Glasgow Central today.....

ok you have my attention...

Mr Sam

Mr Sam!! Have a look on the threads, ive posted a new one with ongoing updates on these Hidden Platforms
ronniem96
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby Clut » Mon Aug 05, 2013 4:10 pm

Which is the oldest Glasgow Tunnel?
Clut
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby mrbongo » Fri Aug 09, 2013 4:28 pm

hongchongphooey wrote:In response to the Rutherglen Church Tunnel I heard off people (including my gran who is a lifelong Ruglonian) that there was a tunnel going from there to the Clyde and legend has it Mary Queen of Scots used it before to escape capture once.

I dunno how true that part is but i'm pretty certain that under the cemetary there is a tunnel as i've heard it from various sources, would love to know if anyone knew anything more about this.

A friend of mine who grew up in the area (he's in his late 30's now) says he remembers as a kid there being problems with subsidence on Rutherglen Main St and within the grounds of the Old Parish Church - also a collapse - i believe in the vicinity of Greenhill Court - where a small area of ground dropped by a few feet.

He also told me that he and his pals played in the then semi-derelict town hall - apparently their spray-painted mentions still survive in the upper part of the tower stairwell! Also (more interestingly) that in one part of the basement there was a huge heavy wooden door which appeared to lead beyond the basement and under the street. He said the door was permanently locked though they tried for years to prize it open / kick it in.

Rutherglen's got such a rich and ancient history - way older and more significant than that of Glasgow - who knows what lies buried beneath some of it's older monuments. In the past the subsidence in Rutherglen has been attributed to mine workings - and this may be the case but I'd like to think there's more to it than that. Why? Dunno...just instinct!

As always - if anyone else can shed light...
mrbongo
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

PreviousNext

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects