tunnels

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: tunnels

Postby dougie79 » Thu Feb 21, 2008 3:19 pm

There is a good chance that could be the east termination, my dad told me that it runs all the way to the royal, he thinks there is a link from there down to high street but cant confirm this. Ill try and get some sort of map and scan it in. The tunnels spread out all over glasgow's center joining up all the old banks and also the telephone exchanges.
Underground Overground wandering free
dougie79
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby crusty_bint » Thu Feb 21, 2008 3:43 pm

I can confirm there are several different tunnels throughout the city centre dating from different periods and built by different people/companies and for different uses. I can confirm the tunnel at Dial House and Telephone house was just the latest and last addition to the GPO/BT tunnels and was solely intended for cable running. I have seen pics of the construction of this tunnel, unfortunately I cant post them as I wasnt supposed to have access to them (an oversight on BT's part) and was refused permission to reproduce them.

The bland, almost sad, truth about the secret tunnels is that there is no big secret - they are just kept quiet for obvious security concerns.
here i go, it's coming for me through the trees
crusty_bint
-
-

Postby dougie79 » Thu Feb 21, 2008 3:44 pm

Forgot to post this link

http://www.cybertrn.demon.co.uk/guardian/index.htm

These tunnels in Manchester are very similar to the Glasgow tunnels in shape and size, I was in the Manchester tunnels back in 2005 a very very friendly engineer allowd me in with him.
dougie79
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Buzby » Thu Feb 21, 2008 3:52 pm

crusty_bint wrote:The bland, almost sad, truth about the secret tunnels is that there is no big secret - they are just kept quiet for obvious security concerns.

That said, they still form part of our heritage - and as for 'security' being a reason for non-disclosure, that's just about as inconcievable as the Ordnance Survey not plotting the then GPO Tower on maps because of 'Security' issues. London had the old Mails Railway (now closed ) it wasn't secret, just nobody was interested. The lack of public info on the Glasgow tunnels would more in line with the 50's doctrine of not letting the great unwashed have access to safety if the bomb dropped... not quite the same argument. ::):
- Raymond
Buzby
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby stinkpad » Thu Feb 21, 2008 4:09 pm

stinkpad
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Buzby » Fri Feb 22, 2008 1:24 pm

Interesting - the access door to the Glasgow tunnel (in the basement of Pitt Steet exchange) had a similar scenery, although there was no egress for a land rover (!).
- Raymond
Buzby
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby dave2 » Fri Feb 22, 2008 2:47 pm

Tunnels out towards the Royal informary could also have been involved to take the trunk cables out to the edge of the city before they ran via pylons/radio waves/microwaves etc to Edinburgh Dundee, Aberdeen etc.
dave2
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby hazy » Sat Feb 23, 2008 7:10 pm

In April the preferred Franchise holder will be announced for the Scottish region for the railways. My understanding is that the new franchisee will have to under take ,along with Network rail to Electrify the Glasgow/Edinburgh line. http://www.transportscotland.gov.uk. There is a 111 page document.
Now a lot of work will have to go into all the tunnels they may open up the old tunnel that cuts across Buchanan Street tunnel for expoloritary works.The Cowlairs tunnel is right above the station exit at the platforms Im sure. At the moment they are doing pile testing at Platform 1 and the area just above Platfrom 7 at Queen Street for the development of Buchanan galleries. http://www.hipkiss.org Will show details of the old tunnel. Happy hunting.
Thank you. And why not.
hazy
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Buzby » Sat Feb 23, 2008 9:21 pm

This would have to be a future indication (2011-2012) or thereabouts as I recall First Scotrail only have been running it since 2004
- Raymond
Buzby
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby hazy » Sun Feb 24, 2008 1:36 am

Buzby wrote:This would have to be a future indication (2011-2012) or thereabouts as I recall First Scotrail only have been running it since 2004

Correct, but just incase a new franchisee gets it the time period allows them to get their plans into order.
Thank you. And why not.
hazy
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby dougie79 » Sun Feb 24, 2008 12:38 pm

Was just having a look through urban adventure website http://www.urbanadventure.org/ and saw this picture.

The guy that posted it thinks its an entrance to an old station up near the barras, to me it just looks the an old public toilet entrance. Can anybody shed some light on this.
dougie79
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Fossil » Sun Feb 24, 2008 6:20 pm

Its a toilet
Bum tit tit bum tit tit play yer hairy banjo
Fossil
-
-

Postby dougie79 » Sun Feb 24, 2008 6:41 pm

Yeah I thought as much, wasnt aware of anymore stations up that way.
dougie79
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Pgcc93 » Sun Feb 24, 2008 6:51 pm

dougie79 wrote:Yeah I thought as much, wasnt aware of anymore stations up that way.

I think he got it confused with this http://www.hiddenglasgow.com/forums/vie ... ork#p35272
Pgcc93
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby dougie79 » Sun Feb 24, 2008 7:00 pm

I think you are right there! Ill let him know.
dougie79
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects